Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 May 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

I can never get them to survive in the garden but they do well in tubs

This one was £1 from Woolworths!

I cut it right back last year as it got enormous.

The latest acquisition

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
So my experience - I had 3 Acers in my front garden - first one is biggish in a pot (it’s about 3-4ft tall) but we bought it bigger - lives under the Wisteria arch, not much shelter in the winter, but it’s come back nicely for the third year this year!
Next one is in a planter box in the front ‘border’ it was bought as a baby (from tesco I think) It’s a little sheltered by the fence, doing fine.
Third one also a baby was in a pot by the gate, but it has died a horrible death, I think what ever got it was the same as what got my rhododendron!
All three were planted in regular compost, with a little chicken manure and miracle grow for good measure!

Edited to add a pic:
- not the clearest of the Acer, I’ll grab another later on
I'm loving your wisteria. I would love to grow this round our summerhouse DH is in the middle of constructing. Do you know if it would fair well North East coast Scotland? And can it grow from a large pot? It's either wisteria or climbing/rambling rose I think.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can never get them to survive in the garden but they do well in tubs

This one was £1 from Woolworths!

I cut it right back last year as it got enormous.

The latest acquisition

Tom if you don’t mind me asking how is the one you cut back looking please? I’ve got one that has grown quite big and I’d like to cut back but am a bit nervous. Thanks in advance
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
Tom if you don’t mind me asking how is the one you cut back looking please? I’ve got one that has grown quite big and I’d like to cut back but am a bit nervous. Thanks in advance
Picture number 1 is the one I cut.

I probably took at least 2ft or more off the height and width in the Autumn after the leaves had just about all dropped off.
To be honest it was a sink or swim job as it was growing over the lounge windows!
If it had died I would have slung it but I was well chuffed when it sprouted in the Spring.

I’m no gardener but I water it a lot and use Miracle Grow in every can of water. Mind you I also chuck on any old thing I have such as rhododendron fertiliser!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

You need Ericaceous compost & if you have the Palmatum its advisable to keep it out of the sun as the beautiful red colour will revert back to green - mine did & I put it back in the semi shade and the following year it was red again. Mine are all in pots, & I have 3 or 4 different varieties, so that I can move them about except for the one that is too big to even think about moving now.
Old 9 May 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Mine's getting too big now, that and a whole branch seems to have died, so it looks lop sided, so I'm going to give it a prune now I've seen your photo😊
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

They are funny things, I purchased 3 a number of years ago now, 2 I have since moved spots and one remains in the same spot. One I moved into the corner of my fence so in a 90 degree angle directly into the ground, that one is around 7 foot tall now and is massive, another I moved into a pot last year which was in my front border its about 2 feet tall at most. The last one has stayed around 1 foot at most and has remained in my front border.

It just goes to show how much the position really effects the growth, all spots are in direct sunlight from dawn to dusk.