Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jan 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile Should we get a dog?

Love the idea of one, we have a very nervous 8 year old cat which is worrying me. Dh and I are both self employed so could probably work it so.the dog isn't alone all day.

Would it be mad to.have one? Dh thinks the cat will never come downstairs again and if we do and not eat etc, she is startled v easily.

Any advice welcome
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think it's adding another tie to your life really. Did you have one when children were younger?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

No, never had one, had every other pet under the sun except a dog!
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I would'nt due to the cat and its age, I don't think it would be fair for a cat which may have had the run of the house to now be potentially confined to upstairs.

Cost would also be a factor for me, we have two rescue cats which have some minor health issues which we did'nt know about but they are both young and in the last few weeks have cost us over £300 as they were both unwell over christmas and passed it to each other

cattery fees for us are £200 for the two.

My sister has a dog and she said this will be her last as rising vet fees ( her dog cut the inside of her mouth on a stick and it got infected (£175) are too much for them.

I work from home and my DH is self employed but is overrun with work and could'nt possibly come home and sort a dog out due to the distance of some of the places he works at.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Our cat rules the house as all cats do she cant stand poor Bill our Springer. In the first few months she attacked him and he had to have surgery on his eyelid. It was awful. She really has never taken to him moving into her house. We have to segregate them. She's more than happy to sleep on her cat bed upstairs all day. I'm always very aware where they both are. I'd love for them to get on but it will never happen. I got Bill when my daughter very briefly went to uni, empty nest syndrome well and truly kicked in. I idolise him but nothing prepared me for the commitment.
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Dogs are lovely, but I would not have one myself, couldn’t do the picking up.However why not volunteer at a shelter, then you could enjoy a dog without the commitment. I know someone that dog walks for a greyhound charity, and they love it.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

From other recent posts I’ve read then I would say no. It will only add one more thing to be stressful.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We got a puppy after years of wanting a dog.
We thought we were well prepared, but honestly it was a shock how much they restrict you. We have no children so are used to comming and going when we please.
Didn't realise how much time we spend out of the house till we got him.
Saying that we are now settling in to a new routine. He is so loving and funny and makes the house seem more homely. Puppies are a lot of work though 😂
I'm glad we have him and would still do it again. But be prepared to have time restrictions in everything you do 😂
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Should we get a dog ? If you are asking strangers that the answer should be no

You should be asking your whole family and working out if it fits in your lifestyle, the time ,
Effort, commitment and cost etc.

We have a Lab , she is by far the easiest dog we had have , she was house trained when we got her at 8 weeks , and she doesn’t mind being left .
But she needs walking to daily , i have to hoover at least twice a day this time of year

We are also fortunate my mum lives 5 mins away and has her when we go away which saves us a fortune in kennel fees .

In all honesty she will be the last dog we have , the kids are adults now and a dog is another tie.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

I disagree with most of the above, I actually think it would do you the world of good and give you something to focus your attention on. Do some research in the type of dog you think you’d like and take it from there. We bought ours and didn’t go to a rescue as many people suggest as we have young children and felt it was important to not have a dog with possible issues.

Yes there are costs involved in having a pet, our dog costs approximately £14 a month for insurance, £13 for the vet plan which covers all vaccines, worming and flea treatments. And we pay £20 per day for the dog sitter when we’re away. Food wise probably about £8 per week.

We debated for years but it’s been the best decision we’ve ever made!