Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jan 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Redundancy blues *update - I got a job! (post 30)

Hey guys, I just wondered if anyone has been made redundant and has any words of wisdom for me? I’m really struggling at the moment.

I got made redundant from a job I loved on 1st November last year. It was completely unexpected, dealt with horribly, and left me absolutely gutted and without any prospects at all. I pulled myself together and threw myself into job hunting whilst also appealing the decision my employer made and dealing with all the legalities etc of that which was also pretty awful. I won my appeal so could finally move on which helped somewhat, and I just continued job hunting and also doing some Google Academy etc online courses to boost my skills.

I had an interview for a really great job at a really great company on December 6th and have yet to hear back...I felt the interview went well, I emailed after a week reiterating my interest in the job and asking when I could expect to hear anything and if I could provide any further supporting materials etc. The HR person said they’d just had the final interview (I think I was the first) and they’d hopefully get back to me the week after. That was the 13th Dec...still nothing! I then had another interview for another great job on Dec 16th which I felt went well, and haven’t heard back from that either! It’s been Christmas and NY obviously which I know a lot of people have off, and I also know that these things sometimes take a looooonnggg time, and I guess no news is good news, but it’s just killing me! Luckily I have another interview Friday which I’m excited for so I’m just focusing all my efforts on that this week. I emailed the 2nd job yesterday to follow up, but haven’t heard anything back. I assume both will come back to me at some point as otherwise it’d be pretty rubbish, but I just hate the waiting game!

Anyway. I know I’ll find a job eventually and this will be the ‘best thing that ever happened to me’...but honestly it’s just really getting me down. I’m driving myself nuts refreshing Indeed constantly and my emails, and just waiting for my phone to ring. I feel like the last couple of months have just been really challenging but then I remind myself things could be a lot worse and it’s just a job. I just miss being at work and being productive, and I’m impatient and want to just be employed. Getting a job will mean moving back to where our families live (we moved away for the job I got made redundant from, ironically) and I’m just anxious to start that next chapter in our lives, find a new house, book some travel etc.

I need to keep reminding myself that it’s still early days and I’ve had (nearly) 3 interviews plus a phone interview. I’ve also got some freelance work lined up which I hope to continue alongside a full-time job so we can get some serious savings sorted, and I’m really proud of myself for making that happen and I’m looking forward to it kicking off this month. I guess it’s just this weird down time post-Christmas when things are just starting to pick back up.

Anyway, that was supppperrrr waffly (as is my way) so thank you for reading if you got this far, and I’d really appreciate any words of wisdom if you’ve been in a similar situation. I actually do feel better just writing it all out like this so that’s something I guess!

Edited at 04:07 PM.
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

No advice as never been in your position but you seem to be positive and doing all the right things, lots of interviews too, I'm really sure you’ll get a great job soon, just remember that some companies are pretty rubbish at corresponding after you’ve seen them.

Good luck with it all & keep us updated 🤞
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm really sorry, it's a horrible feeling isn't it?
I'm not much help as I didn't cope very well, but did get a job and everything fell in to place in the end.
Just make sure that you are not too hard on yourself and maybe use this time to also do some things that you wouldn't normally be able to (I know that's not always easy when there is the thought of money in the back of your mind).
Sending positive thoughts, hopefully someone will be along with some helpful advice shortly x
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

I was made redundant from a job I loved about two and a half years ago. My husband had been made redundant about a month before! He decided to start his own business and I’m involved in that too. My redundancy hit me really hard (I was there for 17 years!) and I’d say it took me about a year to get over it properly. It was almost like I was grieving.
I suppose the point of this is to be easy on yourself. It is a shock being made redundant like that, so give yourself a bit of time. I know you’re keen to get moving to the next chapter, and that is understandable too, but also take a bit of time to process what has happened. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It sounds like you are giving yourself a hard time. Good luck in the job hunting, it is hard going. Sending good luck and best wishes

Edited at 06:01 PM.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post

My DH was made redundant 3 months ago. He was gutted as he was so good at his job and they kept the younger / less experienced staff who didn't care much about the job just the pay. He is going through a tribunal claim at mo with solicitor.

He has now gone back to being self employed - he did this previously for 17 years until this other job tempted him back into employment. It can be sole destroying being made redundant, it's not your fault. It is like a loss in your life, you have no purpose to get up in the mornings and obvs no money coming in. This also forced me back in to part time work. His work is hit and miss but hoping things improve - his contract banned him from talking to or approaching the remaining staff where he worked for 3 months - he had a group of work colleagues then nothing, no social contact or anything.

Wishing you luck in your search for work, I spent day after day on Indeed, most of the time the jobs had gone by the time I applied or they never existed. Have a look at the Govmt website gov.uk/find-a-job as these tend to be real vacancies. Also look to see if you can get work experience somewhere or register with an agency and see what is out there. You never know going somewhere on a temp basis may lead to a permanent job and it looks like you are doing something with your time rather than being unemployed.

Best wishes, keep applying for everything, change your application slightly to suit the job, emphasis on what skills you have that they want. Applying / filling out the forms takes ages, set up a word doc that you can put all the usual info on then cut and paste into the application forms, may make it quicker and easier to apply.

Edited at 06:38 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DizzyDisneyMum View Post
I'm really sorry, it's a horrible feeling isn't it?
I'm not much help as I didn't cope very well, but did get a job and everything fell in to place in the end.
Just make sure that you are not too hard on yourself and maybe use this time to also do some things that you wouldn't normally be able to (I know that's not always easy when there is the thought of money in the back of your mind).
Sending positive thoughts, hopefully someone will be along with some helpful advice shortly x
That's a good suggestion about doing something you wouldn't normally be able to do. Maybe spend the morning job hunting and applying then as a reward in the afternoon go out for a walk, go swimming or running, read a book, sign up for a free online course (I used New skills academy and paid for a few courses on line) etc
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh bless you I’m not surprised you feel as you do as it’s a shock to the system. I interviewed for a job back in October and like yourself thought it had gone well and waited and waited and after 4 weeks called HR to enquire in regard to the outcome and was told I should’ve heard! I got a letter to say I wasn’t successful and called for feedback to be told someone in house had been offered and that I’d had a really good interview. I was really annoyed that they’d completely forgotten to notify me I do realise that they need a certain amount of interviewees for it to be quorum and I’d met the criteria and all but it felt like such a blow as I was so hoping to be able to move on from the role I’m currently in (I feel a bit stuck and am desperate for a change). Like you I know that things will change however applying for jobs and attending interviews is a job in itself and can feel soul distract times. Glad writing it down made you feel a little better.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

i know things will improve for you soon,the right thing will come a long xxx
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I been made redundant twice but the 1st time was in 2007 and I was there 9&a half years. It just about 2 weeks after Christmas and my boss had called me&2 others into his office to tell us we were been made redundant and it was straight away. They handed us letters and explained to us what we were been paid out. I said goodbye to everyone and put my tools in the car.
I drove straight to the job centre and they said I had to ring this number and request a interview. Within 2 weeks I had 3 job interviews and I picked a company that was the closest and was only 50p a hour less than I was on before.
The 2nd time I got made redundant was in May 2009 but I knew that it was coming as it was the global recession and the credit crunch but as I had only been they 17 months they didn’t have to pay me any money but my boss made me a promise that I will be coming back so get a night job at TNT for 10 months and I was taken back on in April 2010 and I’m still there now nearly 10 years later.
So been working 23 years in July and I only been out of work for roughly 6 weeks in 2007.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I got made redundant when I was 9 months pregnant. I sat in the hospital after having the baby filling out forms to claim my government redundancy pay and statuary maternity pay I was entitled to. I had a months notice but it was the worst, timing wise.
Thankfully once my maternity pay was up I went to the job centre and within 2 weeks had a few interviews and had started a new job within 8 weeks.
You seem to be doing well with getting interviews so look at this as a positive.
I hope you get a job soon, it is stressful. Just be kind to yourself and try not to stress (easier said than done)!