Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

We are meant to be going on a 3 week China tour and cruise leaving for HK on the 10th March! ☹. Just watching and waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks! Been so looking forward to going! 😢
Old 25 Jan 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bestbubba
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
We are meant to be going on a 3 week China tour and cruise leaving for HK on the 10th March! ☹. Just watching and waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks! Been so looking forward to going! 😢
We were on a cruise during the SARS outbreak. Before they'd let us off the ship in Nagasaki, Japanese officials came onboard and took everyone's temperature. Luckily they used a gadget and just wanded us as we filed past, 3000 people having to put a thermometer under their tongue would have taken all day, and night! We've also toured and cruised around China so I have everything crossed for you that you'll be able to go, I know I would have been heartbroken if our trip had been cancelled 🤞
Bestbubba is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bestbubba View Post
We were on a cruise during the SARS outbreak. Before they'd let us off the ship in Nagasaki, Japanese officials came onboard and took everyone's temperature. Luckily they used a gadget and just wanded us as we filed past, 3000 people having to put a thermometer under their tongue would have taken all day, and night! We've also toured and cruised around China so I have everything crossed for you that you'll be able to go, I know I would have been heartbroken if our trip had been cancelled 🤞
Thank you. I'm gutted after all the planning! We are on Celebrity cruise line for the middle bit. So far they haven't announced anything? Quite a few American's are cancelling as far as I can tell on Cruise critic? They seem to have much more cancellation rights then we do in the UK? Our insurance says only if government says we can't travel or the cruise is cancelled? All the other tours and hotels were booked independently so we have to just wait I think? ☹
Old 25 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_daddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
97% of people survive having the virus
That's still 45million possible fatalities from China's 1.5 billion population 1.9 million fatalities from our 66 million population, it's the speed and ease it's spreading that's scary. So far all cases outside China have caught it in China if that changes then we really should start to worry.
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bestbubba
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
Thank you. I'm gutted after all the planning! We are on Celebrity cruise line for the middle bit. So far they haven't announced anything? Quite a few American's are cancelling as far as I can tell on Cruise critic? They seem to have much more cancellation rights then we do in the UK? Our insurance says only if government says we can't travel or the cruise is cancelled? All the other tours and hotels were booked independently so we have to just wait I think? ☹
Unfortunately I think you're right, it's "wait and see" which is much easier said than done. American T&Cs are much better than ours when it comes to cancelling I agree. I love Cruisecritic, it's like the Dibb at sea! I really hope you hear something concrete soon, so much planning (and money) goes into these wonderful trips, the same as a Disney holiday. Have you spoken to Celebrity?
Sue xx
Bestbubba is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

I have friends out in HK at the moment, they are fine, just wearing the masks.
My son and his girlfriend are visiting from the UK, we have just got them face masks, and hand sanitiser. She has been in touch with family back in China, they don’t seem to be overly worried. They are just waiting on any government updates as to whether their school will be re opening.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

Got some face masks from Japan last year on holiday as a joke, think I will go and find them , we were told they wear face masks in Japan to contain there germs and not spread them about . Had a parcel arrive today from China today got it opened quickly and got the packaging in the bin and scrubbed my hands my husband thought I was nuts , got another parcel on its way will have to stop ordering from China .
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

What is more scary about this virus is the fact it is contagious when you have no symptoms, another case confirmed in California today. How many people did he infect before he got symptoms.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bestbubba View Post
Unfortunately I think you're right, it's "wait and see" which is much easier said than done. American T&Cs are much better than ours when it comes to cancelling I agree. I love Cruisecritic, it's like the Dibb at sea! I really hope you hear something concrete soon, so much planning (and money) goes into these wonderful trips, the same as a Disney holiday. Have you spoken to Celebrity?
Sue xx
Celebrity are continuing as normal at the moment, they just say they are monitoring the situation? The ship we are on is currently in HK for a 2 night stay, according to those on it they are continuing with tours but giving out masks and hand sanitizer! 😬

HK Disneyland has closed now too! ☹
catlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s about time they banned these wet markets in China and people gouging down on things we were never meant to eat. Seems most of these come from bats for some reason, and they say this one spread from a bat, to someone in China eating a snake from a wet market. Apparently SARS came from a similar market also. Africa is another source- Ebola came from a bat, which infected gorillas which was then eaten as ‘bush meat’.
It’s clear that tucking into wild and exotic animals in unsanitary conditions is a major health risk - for many more than those eating.