Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Proper blackboard, chalk and rubber thingy thrown at us if we misbehaved! Wow what an event when we stopped bucket of water to wash blackboard to the rubber one... THEN we got a board that rolled over!

No fines, assembly every day, proper school uniforms including coats and hats (church school), actually respected ( or was it in fear) of teachers.

Other than an odd day to a museum,the biggest "trip" I had was a day in Calais!

I have to say school was not the best days of my life, I could not wait to leave. College on the other hand was glorious.

Edited at 06:52 PM.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We didn’t have a prom but we did have a leaving do disco 👍🏻
No expensive dresses & suits though.
No idea about ofsed or holiday fines because we only did a week in Wales in a caravan during the summer holidays 👍🏻👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dissuziq
Apprentice Imagineer

Dissuziq's Reviews
Im mid 40's and we did have a school disco for each year group at the end of each year does that count as a prom?

I do remember begging my Mum for a trip to clock house for a new outfit ( recently went to Nice on a short break they still had C&A and Clockhouse).

Definitely no holidays in school Time but remember getting in the car to get to Wales as soon as school broke up.

Ofsted I know about them now as I was a lecturer in a college for a few years our local village only had one school so everyone went there.

Punishment, my lasting memory was of someone having to sit all day in the school hall in a dustbin for not putting his rubbish in the bin and throwing it on the floor. That definiately would not be allowed today and possibly not then
LA 2008,2016, DLP 2019
Dissuziq is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
I'm 60 and we never had a prom but we did have school discos a couple of times a year.
We never went on holiday so I was never taken out of school I was only ever off if I was ill.
Definately no Ofstead and saw a few pupils getting a smack.
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dissuziq View Post
Punishment, my lasting memory was of someone having to sit all day in the school hall in a dustbin for not putting his rubbish in the bin and throwing it on the floor. That definiately would not be allowed today and possibly not then
I bet whoever it was never threw his rubbish on the floor again though.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

How come life seems more complicated in the 21st century despite the advances in technology etc?
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Borderbairn View Post
I'm 63 and went to school in Scotland. The whole class got the tawse once because nobody would own up to something.
All but myself and 1 other girl got the belt for making a noise when the teacher was out of the classroom - she got it another day. A class of around 34 and no parents complained.
No prom when I finished secondary school but I did take my 2 DS out of school for a week at ages 7 & 9 with permission and no issues at school (Scotland).

Edited at 08:12 PM.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I am 55

and from Scotland - so although we never had "prom" we did have end of school Ceilidh - any excuse for a dressed up dance party...

Parents were not fined for taking kids out of school because parents respected the schooling system and did not take children out for holidays - or anything other than emergencies. I cannot remember anyone taking a foreign holiday during the school term during my many years at school.

And OFSTED - no there was none. So class sizes were unregulated - one year we had 42 (chaos) and teachers did not need to have an education any better than their students. My dad taught me Maths.

Not sure if you were saying it was better or worse... just different I guess.
52 here and educated in Scotland - and I especially agree with the bit in bold above. I don't recall throughout my whole primary and secondary schooling, experiencing any of my classmates going away on holiday in term time.

I feel like there probably were school inspectors in "my time" just not called OFSTED.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The whole idea of fining parents for taking their children out of school for holidays was unheard of because taking holidays in term time was unheard of. In the northern towns where I was brought up, the whole place closed down for two weeks (Wakes Weeks) in the summer and that’s when holidays were taken (each town in the local area had a different two weeks). The major employers (mills) wouldn’t have considered a request for holidays outside of those set dates. Schools closed for two weeks in June, then went back for two weeks and then closed for a month. This pattern continued until the late 70’s. The place was like a ghost town - with almost everyone going off to Blackpool, Morecambe, North Wales or Scarborough for a week - two week holidays were unheard of. We were fortunate to have a week away, usually in a b&b or caravan. The most exotic holiday was a week on the Isle of Man.
I was in my early teens when I became aware of rich folk going abroad.😂
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Further to my post about getting the belt ( tawse) at school, I will say that any time I got it I deserved it. It wasn’t just given to everyone who misbehaved, it was reserved for repeated infractions. In one case I got the belt for p,aging with the gas taps in Chemistry, warned twice then belted on the third time. So yes I deserved it.
It was they norm for us in the sixties, I don’t think it affected me growing up

For those with kids at school just now how do the schools deal with disruption and bad behaviour in class? I honestly am not aware as my lads are 25 and 31.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List