Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have known places to turn down people who are overly qualified. When recruiting some places want to hire people that they think will stay at the company, and won’t hire someone if they think they will leave after a few months for a better job.

It doesn’t help your ds though. I hope he gets offered something. I once applied for a job at Asda, had a group and single interview and didn’t get it, even though I had 10 years retail experience. I then got a job at Waitrose. Just keeping trying for jobs someone will be bound to want to hire your ds.
Also can he do any voluntary work in the meantime? Sometimes it’s expereince rather than qualifications that lands people jobs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

You sound exasperated bless you.

I agree that the easiest way is through friends of friends - is there no one you could tap up for contacts? Almost every job i've had has been through word of mouth.

There are jobs out there, we're looking for 2 admin people at our design agency in London, we're looking for zero experience and are struggling to find good level headed people.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Not sure if you have anything similar in your area but when my DS was job hunting, he used Careers Wales. They have a local office which he went to every week - they helped with his CV, completing application forms and job interview prep.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Just a thought but has he tried the Apple Store? Disney and Apple help each other out with recruiting staff 😉 and it might be that him working for Disney (even though he hated it!), might get him an interview? It's good pay for retail after training? Good luck to him.
Old 27 Feb 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Do you live anywhere near a garden centre as they usually take on seasonal staff. Might be worth a trip with his CV as not all advertise on the interweb.
Old 27 Feb 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
He answered the questions in a way where he used his own intuition and didn’t involve the manager. I think he failed because some of the questions said would you speak to the manager and he entered them like he would try to deal with the problem himself. We have asked around, I forgot dh asked in screwfix and he’s also waiting to here from them.
Hello

My son works part time in Argos and he did online test and got an interview

I do think the online tests are really random whether you pass or not as about 3 of his friends also applied and none of them passed, I wonder if they will only pass so many a day?

Before he got his Argos job he applied to Tesco and he failed their online test

Has he tried walking into places with his actual CV?

My son said that 2 people came into Argos yesterday and asked about any jobs and handed over their CVs and he passed them on to the Manager

Has he tried asking in any of the phone shops? A couple of my sons friends work in EE part time, not sure how they got their jobs though

I really hope your son finds something soon
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am going to get him to look into all these, Ha ha he said the Disney Store black listed him! He defiantly shouldn’t of given up that job in a hurry, but they gave him all the rubbish shifts nobody else would do!
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s amazing how difficult employers seem to make it nowadays for relatively low paid work such as retail. I guess they can choose to be picky as there are so many looking for work. I do hope your son finds something soon as it is not good for the self esteem to be turned down. I do think that maybe your son is classed as over-qualified with a degree for some jobs though. My one son had a period of similar experiences when he left university, he was under experienced for anything decent and over qualified for McD’s etc.

Has your son considered volunteering at a charity, either in admin or more hands on practical help, or train as a volunteer adviser? I have volunteered at Citizens Advice for a few years, and have an interview next week for a part time paid adviser role so it can lead to paid employment. It can also provide valuable experience for him to apply for other jobs
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparklebeam
Earning My Ears

I’ve just found out I’m to be made redundant after 10 years working in retail, and it is much harder to get employment then when it was back then.
I’m only just getting back into sorting my CV and completing job applications, but in my area there are free courses covering admin, IT and hospitality etc that last about 2 weeks, maybe there’s similar in your area. I’m also looking into getting admin experience maybe with a charity to put onto my CV and I’m missing these skills. Unfortunately in retail the contract hours are so small. Many jobs I’ve see are only 8 or 12 hours a week.
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Hasn't he recently passed his driving test? Has he thought about maybe courier or delivery jobs?
fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List