Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter finished her degree and really struggled. She ended up temping and had to try a few agencies as some are completely rubbish. She got to try a few companies, gained experience and now has a permanent job. Might be worth looking at. My son also had problems with some you have suggested and is working at McDonalds part time and they were better than most but do have franchises so it depends on the branch how good they are.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fudgie View Post
Hasn't he recently passed his driving test? Has he thought about maybe courier or delivery jobs?
Even though he’s passed his test he is nervous, he wanted to get a job and buy a car and build up his confidence driving!
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Tell him to leave the degree off his cv if he wants to learn a trade.
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Our eldest son had this problem too OP. It was far easier when I was in retail 20 odd years ago. I think its ridiculous and frankly over complicating for employers such as these to have them tick their boxes this way.
DS had no issues finding employment in Italy ( we are Italian so language no issue) but comparing the two experiences he found Italy retail a lot like how I remember it when I was working at 18 in the UK.
We explained his experience and many friends kids encountered the same to colleagues in Italy and they were utterly bemused at the process.
Hope he finds something soon .
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My daughters partner got his degree in summer, he had a part time job that he had to leave as they moved to weymouth for DDs job, he got a seasonal job that finished in October, kept trying for jobs all the time, he applied for absolutely everything from retail to care work... finally got a job in December... so keep applying...glad he spruced up his CV it does help.
Also with his online test, most jobs will require that he refers to a manager when needed, it shows that he recognises his limitations and doesn’t go out on a limb, dealing with everything his self is not good. (Just a thought for the next online test).
It’s well worth making a list of all the businesses in your area and ringing round (that’s how my own son got an apprenticeship a few years back).
Hoping he finds something soon

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Is he particularly looking at retail ? Our eldest graduates this summer with a degree in Business Management and he’s been offered 2 jobs. One with Amazon as a team leader and one with Wates Construction on their graduate scheme as a trainee site manager. Both companies are still recruiting so if you/he is interested PM me and I’ll send you links to the jobs 😊
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
talicarr
Helping Minnie

Someone else mentioned BT, Openreach are recruiting for engineers nationwide. They train you from scratch and its decent money, you need to be physically fit and have a driver's license, but it might be an option if he's happy doing outdoors work and looking for something different.
talicarr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Has he tried the civil service at all?
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My son gas a degree in performing arts, you don’t have to say anything we didn’t want him doing that degree. He was insistent and it’s got him nowhere fast!
Old 27 Feb 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

What does he want to do with his life? Has he got a career in mind? Is further education an option?