Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 May 23, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Horsetail /maresail removal ?

So a family member has horsetail in the garden .
Been there since they bought the house 2 years ago . ( Bought in winter so didn’t know about it )

It does seem to be better than a couple of years ago but not much . Have used Diamond solution via a gardener .
The problem is it seems to be spreading - maybe not as much in the worst areas ( paths / Patio )

I was recommended Kurtail progreen/kurtail-e...eed-killer/and now having got it , concerned about its use on grasss and on borders where it is intermingled with plants ( not used it yet )

Ideally don’t want to kill the grass or plants but if the grass will grow back if ‘ killed then so be it .

Family member is considering using a professional company such as invasiveweedsolutions/ but costs seem very high and presume their stuff will be even more toxic than what Joe public can buy and will kill off grass /plants anyway ?

Any suggestions ?

Will post more photos later - phone connection dodgy where I am

Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 12:55 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 23, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Best of luck to them, it’s a nightmare to rid. We bought one of our houses 55 yrs ago as a new build , so had to start garden from scratch. No matter what we used we still have it. Trouble is the roots spread under the concrete paths And the slightest piece you can’t get at continuously spreads. I believe we were told it’s one of the oldest species around.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 23, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Cheers for replying Silverfox but sounds like you have had a 'mare ( pardon the pun)

Anyone else any experience / advice ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 23, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

roundup e.t.c is rubbish just kills the top get some of the below mix up and keep spraying##amazon/dp/B08FF1Y1...duct_detail s
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 23, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I think learn to live with it. It hasn't survived mostly unchanged for over 375,000,000 years just to give up when a puny human tries to poison it. One of the oldest fossils ever found is of a horsetail, way, waaaayyyy before dinosaurs evolved.
It has roots six feet deep, BTW, that can survive for many years dormant under concrete.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 23, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
roundup e.t.c is rubbish just kills the top get some of the below mix up and keep spraying##amazon/dp/B08FF1Y1...duct_detail s
I buy that and it knocks the socks off any thing you can buy of the shelf
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 23, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
Is Gallup the same as Roundup?
Gallup and Roundup are both the same -> it's Glyphosate under a brand name.17 Jun 2022
Old 30 May 23, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bovril View Post
Is Gallup the same as Roundup?
Gallup and Roundup are both the same -> it's Glyphosate under a brand name.17 Jun 2022
Sorry what I meant to add is they both have the same active ingredient in glyphosate so it's up to personal choice or cost which is better to use, but yes marestail is difficult to eliminate, from years of experience in horticulture
Old 30 May 23, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I think learn to live with it. It hasn't survived mostly unchanged for over 375,000,000 years just to give up when a puny human tries to poison it. One of the oldest fossils ever found is of a horsetail, way, waaaayyyy before dinosaurs evolved.
It has roots six feet deep, BTW, that can survive for many years dormant under concrete.
The issue is the impact of the growth on the mental health of the family member.
They are wracked with anxiety and spending hours researching. they have read horror stories of fines / issues with neighbours etc ( too much of the internet can be a bad thing) and they have got themselves so worked up about it , i can see the issue literally leading to a mental breakdown so I am trying to do what i can to help
Old 30 May 23, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
The issue is the impact of the growth on the mental health of the family member.
They are wracked with anxiety and spending hours researching. they have read horror stories of fines / issues with neighbours etc ( too much of the internet can be a bad thing) and they have got themselves so worked up about it , i can see the issue literally leading to a mental breakdown so I am trying to do what i can to help
I fear they are fighting a losing battle. I had this at my last house and I treated it as soon as it sprouted. The growth above ground would turn black but more shoots would then appear.
rudie111 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List