Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Accommodation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info
Unread 20 Jan 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Villa deposit

The villa we recently stayed in was owned by a lovely British family, (have stayed in it before) unfortunately between booking and staying at the villa it was sold to an American owner. I have had my security deposit returned, but it is 53 short. I questioned why and he stated as it is now done through paypal, there are 'fee's both ends' 53 worth? Do you think I Should question it further, or just let it go.

He suggested using bank transfer, (in the future, presumably, he didn't give me that option) but I always though that encountered fees anyway. What do other dibbers do when renting villas from US owners?
Unread 20 Jan 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Im afraid Id be livid! There are no fees if he pays you friends and family

Our villa video http://findadisneyvilla.com/videotour.html

License number DWE 6308837
Monitored alarm and safe
Finding Dory bedroom
Fabulous 50's Diner themed games room with pool table, air hockey, fooseball and giant chess.
Gas BBQ
Free National and International calls
Cable TV in all bedrooms
55 inch, 4K smart TV, Free Netflix
2 cots, 2 strollers, 2 high chairs
Please read our 23 absolutely amazing Dibb reviews
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Home to relax!
Unread 20 Jan 20, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Magnificent
Imagineer

He may not be able to use 'friends and family', for example if his PayPal account is a business account rather than a personal account.

Additional thought: But it may be possible for him to cancel the transaction with minor penalty? (I think most of the fees get reversed when a transaction is reversed) And then come up with a better solution.

TREEFIELD VILLAS
EACH ONE A MAGNIFICENT PLACE TO STAY!

5 bed 3 bath
Treefield Villa at High Grove
The model home on the fabulous High Grove community!

5 bed 4 bath
Treefield Reserve at Town Center Resort
Only home w/lake, conservation, balcony, south pool, total privacy & 10 seat theatre

8 bed 5 bath
Treefield Retreat at Legacy Park
Only 8 bed w/conservation, theatre, 16 seat diner & private pool deck

01902 496562
07981 064918
enquiries@treefield.co.uk
www.treefield.co.uk

Edited at 07:00 PM.
Magnificent is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Treefield Reserve then Treefield Retreat
Unread 20 Jan 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Ros & Jim
Imagineer

When I owned a villa, and returned a guest's security deposit that had been paid via PayPal, the full amount was refunded as PayPal also refunded their fees. However, the refund had to be authorised within a certain timescale (think it was a month from the payment date but can't quite remember). This was from a business account.

If your deposit was paid in s to the British owner, he would have passed this on to the new owner in dollars. Perhaps the fees were incurred when the new owner exchanged the deposit from dollars back into s. However, if that's the case, I think he should not have deducted them from you but taken the hit himself.
Unread 20 Jan 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Magnificent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ros & Jim View Post
When I owned a villa, and returned a guest's security deposit that had been paid via PayPal, the full amount was refunded as PayPal also refunded their fees. However, the refund had to be authorised within a certain timescale (think it was a month from the payment date but can't quite remember). This was from a business account.

If your deposit was paid in s to the British owner, he would have passed this on to the new owner in dollars. Perhaps the fees were incurred when the new owner exchanged the deposit from dollars back into s. However, if that's the case, I think he should not have deducted them from you but taken the hit himself.
Yes, that's correct. I think it was a month but is more like six weeks now to do the refund? That is what I do when I take a deposit through PayPal - refund the full amount through my business account, and PayPal refunds the fees to me. (Minus a flat fee of about 30p? but I take the hit on that!)

I think the owner has a point that they have incurred a real cost if they have incurred charges both ways. But, I think if they do charge this, they should disclose it upfront.

TREEFIELD VILLAS
EACH ONE A MAGNIFICENT PLACE TO STAY!

5 bed 3 bath
Treefield Villa at High Grove
The model home on the fabulous High Grove community!

5 bed 4 bath
Treefield Reserve at Town Center Resort
Only home w/lake, conservation, balcony, south pool, total privacy & 10 seat theatre

8 bed 5 bath
Treefield Retreat at Legacy Park
Only 8 bed w/conservation, theatre, 16 seat diner & private pool deck

01902 496562
07981 064918
enquiries@treefield.co.uk
www.treefield.co.uk
Magnificent is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Treefield Reserve then Treefield Retreat
Unread 20 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Paypal always used to refund their fees at the same time as the refund was sent however they have recently changed that policy. This means that the owner has to refund the equivalent of the Paypal fees themselves.

If your deposit was stated to be refundable then the owner should be reimbursing you for the entire amount and taking the hit on the fees themselves.

Since this change has only happened it may be that some are not aware that when they refund the fees will be withheld.

Happy to help

PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Christmas in Windsor Hills
Unread 21 Jan 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
cls123
Getting Excited

is it not to do with exchange rate issues, as I presume you would be doing a - $ - transaction when its refunded? it would only be exactly the same if you were paying & being refunded in the same currency?
cls123 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
the one & only trip...?
Unread 21 Jan 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Thank you for all your replies. I am going to contact the new owner again. Even if there were fees, surely they shouldn't be over 25% i.e 53 on 200? Or does that sound about right?