Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Anti-theft handbags. Recommendations please .

I usually have an RFID blocking purse, a Bralet, and a death grip on my small Kipling but am off to Barcelona and am being told horror pickpocket stories.

Am pondering a proper anti-theft bag from somewhere like pacsafe or Travelon but am a bit bewildered at the range.

Probably cross body and possibly small. Other than that no clue.

They can be quite expensive (esp when you factor postage and duty) so it will have to be hiked around the world for a good few years before it gets replaced.

What do you have / recommend ?

Edited at 10:23 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I've got older version of the pacsafe Citysafe CS50 and Citysafe CS100 bags. Both are probably 10+ years old now, and still going strong. The smaller one in particular gets used as an airport bag, with all my absolute essentials in - goes on when I'm getting ready to leave the hotel in Manchester and stays on until we get to the villa!

Light, strong, and hold tonnes!

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
I've got older version of the pacsafe Citysafe CS50 and Citysafe CS100 bags. Both are probably 10+ years old now, and still going strong. The smaller one in particular gets used as an airport bag, with all my absolute essentials in - goes on when I'm getting ready to leave the hotel in Manchester and stays on until we get to the villa!

Light, strong, and hold tonnes!

/Mo
Thanks Mo, do they have the slash proof wire mesh fabric like the Travelon ones ?

Any probs with airport scanners ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've got pacsafe and have just got a travelon one too. They are brilliant, both have the anti-slash panels and straps and also both have an RFID pocket. The travelon has a larger RFID pocket so I can fit purse and passports in it.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thanks Mo, do they have the slash proof wire mesh fabric like the Travelon ones ?

Any probs with airport scanners ?
I believe so, yeah. I know the straps have what feels like a thick wire running down them. Never had any problem at scanners or anything with them.

The small one is small enough to hold what I need and basically forget about, the larger one is a normal handbag size.

You've actually made me look for stores in Florida - there's one in the outlets sells pacsafe - and I might replace my smaller one this year - but I've had it since 2008, first time I went to New York. In fact, my friend in NYC was quite insulted that I thought her city was unsafe enough to need one!

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I usually have an RFID blocking purse, a Bralet, and a death grip on my small Kipling but am off to Barcelona and am being told horror pickpocket stories.

Am pondering a proper anti-theft bag from somewhere like pacsafe or Travelon but am a bit bewildered at the range.

Probably cross body and possibly small. Other than that no clue.

They can be quite expensive (esp when you factor postage and duty) so it will have to be hiked around the world for a good few years before it gets replaced.

What do you have / recommend ?
Sadly, we have often considered Barcelona but the constant stories about pickpockets and thefts put us off.

It’s not just the bag, as there are a lot of anti-theft bags available (although they are expensive too) but I like to use my phone for google maps and taking photos so I would be worried about having that out. DD has a reasonably expensive camera which she wears on a neck strap (it’s a pain to have to keep taking it in and out of a bag) which I would be stressing about.

I know people will say, it’s insured which it is of course. But I think it would be upsetting and frightening to have a camera or phone snatched from a neck or hand. I also know this can happen anywhere, we have visited quite a few major cities and enjoy them, but the amount of warnings about Barcelona just deters me from going sadly.

I hope you have a great time, it looks a fantastic city and I really do hope we visit one day. Hopefully when you come back you can tell me how brilliant it was and it will persuade me to go
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I would never call any bag anti theft. I was mugged in Dublin and the guy had a knife and cut the straps of my backpack. A bag with slash proof wire mesh fabric will not protect you from someone cutting the straps.

The only true way to prevent theft is to wear a bag or money belt under your clothes or coat and not have any sort of bag visible and accessible.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve been to barcelona and whilst there are bag thefts and pick pockets I’ve not found it an issue as long as you have your wits about you. My husband proposed there and had the ring in his pocket but safety pinned closed.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I would never call any bag anti theft. I was mugged in Dublin and the guy had a knife and cut the straps of my backpack. A bag with slash proof wire mesh fabric will not protect you from someone cutting the straps.

The only true way to prevent theft is to wear a bag or money belt under your clothes or coat and not have any sort of bag visible and accessible.
I suppose it kind of doesn’t matter about the bag if they have a knife and request it.

I know a few people who have been to Barcelona. Only 2 had a problem. One guy went for a wee down a side street when drunk and was mugged and the other had her bags taken out of the car at traffic lights.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, I have been to Barcelona 3 times and never had a problem or felt unsafe, I feel much more scared in London so very rarely go there.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List