Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Dec 17, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
How does this work? Do I link our new tickets to them once we are in the park or can it be done in advance on MDE?
You don't link tickets directly to the MagicBands. MagicBands do not store anything other than an ID number.

The MagicBands are linked to your MDE account.
The tickets are linked to your MDE account.

Hence when you scan your MagicBand, the scanner reads the ID number, looks at the MDE account and person in the account that the ID number is linked to, looks at what tickets (or FPs, or whatever) are also linked to that person in the MDE account, and determines whether you are allowed to enter or not.

You can have multiple MagicBands linked to the same person in the same MDE account. They will all access the MDE account and allow you to use any tickets assigned to you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Can you go straight to your hotel room then if reusing a band, or do you have to check in and collect another one? Last time it showed my room number already but I didn't have a band then.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ShopandRide
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
The only problem about re-using Magic Bands is that if they are over 2 years the long range RFID may not work. That means to get ride photos you'd have to tap on the readers at the exit to ensure you got any connected photos plus you wouldn't get the mini videos from 7DMY and ToT. Apart from that, if they are active on your MDE account you can continue to use them for everything else.

Given that you always get new bands on each stay why not just use them?
Would completely agree with this. We have recently returned from a trip to Orlando during which I used the lovely Minnie Mouse magic band that I purchased in June 2015 & have now used on 3 subsequent trips. Can confirm that after linking tickets to my MDE account I have never experienced any issues with park entry or fastpasses, but on this most recent trip the videos from ToT & 7DMT, or the new on-ride photo from PoTC did not appear on Memory Maker, but all the pictures where I'd had my Magic Band scanned did, so will need to purchase a new one next time we go. It did, however work perfectly for 3 trips made within 20 months of purchase, so would say the 2 year lifespan is a fair estimate.
ShopandRide is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
So if I can't find our existing bands and don't want to buy new ones do we just use a ticket and if we do can I then get the TOT video etc?

Edited at 09:54 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So if I can't find our existing bands and don't want to buy new ones do we just use a ticket and if we do can I then get the TOT video etc?
Unfortunately not, the videos and ride photos for any without places to tap at the exit are only available via long range scanning on a MagicBand.

You can just use a ticket for entry but will miss out on a couple of photos/videos.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

Is there anywhere that sells Magic Bands in the UK (or ships to)?
beeftinkler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by beeftinkler View Post
Is there anywhere that sells Magic Bands in the UK (or ships to)?

Nope.
Buy them at the Earport shop at MCO or any Disney shop when you get to the parks.

Don't be tempted to buy on Ebay. You have know idea if they have been registered or not.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The ticket won't work for the ToT and 7DMT videos.

However, you can scan your ticket to get almost all the other photos - eg. any character photos with a Photopass photographer or ride photos such as on Buzz Lightyear.

BTW, if you've lost your existing MagicBands then I would recommend deactivating them in your MDE account. Just in case.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Even if you find them, the battery might have died out

I went through your trippie index in your sig, and it seems that your last oniste stay was in october 2015 at SSR

your Magic Bands are already over 2 years old.
As another poster mentionned, Magic Band batteries have an average life of 2 years

A live battery is required for long range operation, like having the pictures and videos automatically added to your photopass/memory maker account.

so, even with your old magic band, there is already a fair chance that you wouldn't get the video anyway, and that chance grows with each passing day.
I don't think the video can be scanned/added to the ticket or a "dead" magic band.

so if that video is paramount to your vacation's memories, I'd suggest you at least bought one magic band and link it to a rider who has memory maker included with their tickets.
only one Magic band per "car/vehicle" is needed

note that if you want the 7DMT videos and pictures, and there are more than 2 people, you might be separated as far as pictures go, and with only one MB you'll only get the picture for the row the MB wearer is in.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The new magic bands are supposed to have a removable centre piece so you can change this without Changing the band but funnily enough the pucks never materialised for sale.
Op book a campsite space on your first day , get your magic bands and 2 days Parking plus magic bands plus 60 days fastpass as you are offsite x don’t know how many are in your party but can be a real saving if 4 plus .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List