Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks Kat 👍🏻

Edited at 11:29 PM.
DisneyPCLI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
I'm near York and flying from Manchester - avoid flying through Schiphol simply because if you're stuck it's another country rather than say stuck in LHR and still being able to get home. Mostly drive to the airport but have done trains to MAN before -fine on the way out, not so much when you're heading home if you miss a train.
Hi unixgirl - as above from Kat (ty Kat), missing your train isn't an issue if you leave an hour atween plane to train (as the station clerk advised me in May, when our VA was delayed) then the 3 hour Easement kicks in. They tightened up on the Easement as many were hoping to make a tight plane to train connection then using the Easement, so TPE tightened up, stating Easement only kicks in on delays. That said, if there was a problem with the carousel and luggage genuinely didn't get thro and one missed their train I'd be for having a word with the Station Manager.
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi unixgirl - as above from Kat (ty Kat), missing your train isn't an issue if you leave an hour atween plane to train (as the station clerk advised me in May, when our VA was delayed) then the 3 hour Easement kicks in. They tightened up on the Easement as many were hoping to make a tight plane to train connection then using the Easement, so TPE tightened up, stating Easement only kicks in on delays. That said, if there was a problem with the carousel and luggage genuinely didn't get thro and one missed their train I'd be for having a word with the Station Manager.
Thanks - but it was more around having to wait for another train when all you want to do is get home and . There are pro's and cons to train and driving to be honest and I haven't decided what to do for my next holiday yet. Maybe one of those shuttle services. Has anyone used those? Door to plane or something.
ETA - I just did a quote, ridiculous prices - guess I won't be using those.

Edited at 06:26 AM.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Thanks - but it was more around having to wait for another train when all you want to do is get home and . There are pro's and cons to train and driving to be honest and I haven't decided what to do for my next holiday yet. Maybe one of those shuttle services. Has anyone used those? Door to plane or something.
ETA - I just did a quote, ridiculous prices - guess I won't be using those.
Do you mean ridiculous prices for door to door? How much are you getting it for? I have just priced the train and it looks to be about £191 for 8 of us return with a railcard. I am going to price up door to door too and see what comes up. Thanks.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsbenny View Post
Do you mean ridiculous prices for door to door? How much are you getting it for? I have just priced the train and it looks to be about £191 for 8 of us return with a railcard. I am going to price up door to door too and see what comes up. Thanks.
I'm a solo traveller, for a shared journey to Leeds (not even Manchester) it was £139 for a return journey. Exclusive was £217.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Apparently Tees Valley mayor Ben Houchen has a plan to take back control of the airport. Whether this plan will ever come to be or have any effect is uncertain.

I suppose traditionally tour operators and airlines have assumed people will pay a big premium to go local and this results in those of us on the "wrong" side of the Pennines schlepping over to Manchester or up to Scotland because we won't pay the inflated prices.

The exception is KLM via AMS or BA from Leeds or Newcastle through to LHR which although it is a pain I will do if the price is right.

I worked out last August that it cost us over £300 in hotel rooms, food and petrol for the privilege of going from Manchester. Same dates / same transatlantic flights but from NCL were £800 more. No wonder the M62 is so busy.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I agree
It’s about £260 for us family of
4 (premier inn mind)
That includes my parking, petrol, hotel and meal (roughly)

It would be £30 in taxis there and back for Teesside airport 😡
Old 11 Oct 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
The problem is ourselves, (not finger pointing at anyone directly by the way) we have allowed Peel group to run it down, to sell if off for housing and to basically asset strip it. There were what 5/6 local authorities who all had a share in it, and theyve took part in what peel were doing and people locally have voted them all back in!

Andy Preston has recently been highlighting the plight of the airport via social media, hes spot on with what he says. (and his Teesside Philanthropists group are awesome)

Ben Houchen is also spot on the sooner the airport is out of the hands of peel the better.

People just think its the economic situation, but its not been its been shady stuff by shady people all in it for profit.
Old 11 Oct 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MickyC
Serious Dibber

Definitely Peel Group to blame for the decline of Teesside airport. Its only 10 minutes for us so would be ideal to fly to MCO but with the Mrs not being too keen on flying I would always book direct to save on the earache

I think the only flights guaranteed from Teesside will be to Aberdeen for the offshore workers and KLM to Amsterdam

UTB !
MickyC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If shoved we'd fly out of LHR or Grotwick but flying in, oft kicking our heels around for hours depending on the next flight to Ncl, is a no-no - last flew from/to Grotwick in 2010. Man airport is convenient for us, we like the ease of train travel the day afore flying, being settled and rested makes for stress-free flights. Unfortunately via Ncl would involve a LHR change and again in the US afore getting to RSW, as mentioned Ncl flight options tend to be far more expensive than our circa £60pp cost for train to/from Man and hotel. We've flown from Dublin, if we bagged a canny priced biz class flight would do so again... luckily we stay with Dublin friends for a couple of nights afore flying.

Altho dated Nov 2017, HERE's an article from Teeside Live. Peel Airports Ltd, who own 89%, stated 'we've no plans to sell'... remaining 11% is owned by a consortium of; Durham County Council and the borough councils of Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool and Redcar and Cleveland.

Is it true the airport is not interested in developing holiday flights and that Thomson was forced to leave?

As part of its 2014 Masterplan, the new business model meant costs had to be cut - and the seasonal and ad-hoc nature of charter traffic at regional airports means that facilitating the aircraft can cost the business more than it makes. This was the case with Thomson and Balkan Holidays. As a result, the airport made the decision to focus on safeguarding the scheduled services with KLM and Eastern Airways which are essential for the regional economy. Those changes reduced annual losses by almost £1m.

Will there be leisure flights in the future? And what’s the point in having the airport if it doesn’t have holiday flights?

We are not ruling out more leisure-focussed routes in the future but they must be commercially viable and fit with the strategies airlines are pursuing for them to be deliverable. A full aircraft does not mean that a route is profitable and therefore sustainable. DTVA remains of paramount importance to the region, supporting 600 jobs and contributing £37m GVA to the Teesside economy. It is a catalyst for economic prosperity in the region and a fundamental part of the region’s appeal to propsective investors.