Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Dec 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Faythy View Post
I'm with 3 (have been for about 13 years) and am on an essential monthly contract plan as I'd just changed my contract before I'd booked my holiday to Disney. Thankfully my contract is up for renewal before I go otherwise it'd be £1.40 per minute to ring home!

three/termspdf/Esse...%2006%2017.pdf

Last time I went to Disneyland Paris, I phoned my mam a few times but she kept putting the phone down because it said 'International Caller'. Thankfully I got to talk to her when she realised it was me, but the umpteen phone calls that had me talking to her for about 15 minutes, ended up costing me £45.
The rules have now changed because of EU intervention earlier this year and you will be charged normal UK rates for calls back to the UK from any European country on any network now. 3 have also allowed the same deal for the US but for calls to a US number it is 1.40 pm.

SO for calls on three you make back to the UK you will be charged 3p per min not 1.40. But if you call a US number you will get the higher tarrif.

This is the link you need
three/support/roaming/united-states
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
The rules have now changed because of EU intervention earlier this year and you will be charged normal UK rates for calls back to the UK from any European country on any network now. 3 have also allowed the same deal for the US but for calls to a US number it is 1.40 pm.

SO for calls on three you make back to the UK you will be charged 3p per min not 1.40. But if you call a US number you will get the higher tarrif.

This is the link you need
three/support/roaming/united-states
If you are on an advanced plan you will be charged 3p per min, but not if you are on an Essential plan. The pdf I linked to earlier is from off the link you just posted. Take a close look at the pdf I've linked to and it states that if you're in the USA that on an Essential plan it's £1.40 to ring the UK.

People need to be aware there's 2 different contracts re: roaming if they decide to get a contract instead of payg.

Edited at 02:31 PM.
Faythy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If you are on an advanced plan you will be charged 3p per min, but not if you are on an Essential plan. The pdf I linked to earlier is from off the link you just posted. Take a close look at the pdf I've linked to and it states that if you're in the USA that on an Essential plan it's £1.40 to ring the UK.

People need to be aware there's 2 different contracts re: roaming if they decide to get a contract instead of payg.
That's a useful piece of info. If you are on an essential plan you would be better off getting an extra 321 PAYG sim for your holiday.
Old 6 Dec 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

Couldn't use the link you gave it failed but followed the link on the page and you are correct for essentials looks like you give up the world ceap rates for a cheaper monthly charge. SO yes something to look out on contracts.

As mentioned I'd just buy a 3 sim and use it payg for the hols. If you divert your current number to the payg number people can still call you on your old number and when you call on the payg you get the 3p a min.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
Sorry but this is NOW incorrect. You do not have to buy the add-on for the US. You did last year but now the US rates are the same for calls to UK. ie its the same 3p calls 2p texts and 1p for mb of data as the UK. Calls to a US number are the same as before £1.40 per min.

So for occasional users you do not need to buy the at-home add-on although even the £10 top-up at the moment seems to be giving the larger allowance than normal. My last £10 top-up gave 9gb of data with the thousands of mins they are currently giving
Calls and text worked for me without the add on in Nov this year, but it was only when I add the £10 bolt on that the internet started working.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cysmith16
Trying for More Ears

Having travelled on a 3 SIM a couple of times, the data speeds are absolutely atrocious, but this is the same for all their European countries as well. No 4G, only 3G.
cysmith16 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
twinkly-tink
VIP Dibber

twinkly-tink's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by cysmith16 View Post
Having travelled on a 3 SIM a couple of times, the data speeds are absolutely atrocious, but this is the same for all their European countries as well. No 4G, only 3G.
I agree... were just back a d saw a noticeable difference in speeds and signal strength... something has changed and I'm not sure exactly what? !
Old 6 Dec 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by twinkly-tink View Post
I agree... were just back a d saw a noticeable difference in speeds and signal strength... something has changed and I'm not sure exactly what? !
They throttle their data overseas apparently.
Faythy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
electo
Imagineer

thanks for all the info
just got life back into my iphone 4 which is on the 3 network

as long as the wifi and mobile data works with the uber/my disney etc etc app i will be fine
2012/16/18 rosen inn at pointe orlando
2024 storey lake villa
electo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I used a three PAYG for the first time this year on the £20 plan. I did think the data was slow but equally I was happy we had data with a fixed payment and no big bills. Being able to text and call was brilliant as well. We used the phones as sat nav and we still came back with loads of data. Will do the same again next year :-)
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List