Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jan 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
QueenMab
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m astounded by how much spending money everyone takes! For our last trip (2016) our children (10 and 7 at the time) took about $100ish each and both came home with nearly half of that! We bought drinks and snacks and said they could buy souvenirs. Both of them bought presents for their friends at home and one small soft toy each and the odd glow thing. Other than that there wasn’t really much to buy that wasn’t tat in their opinion! DH and I brought back loads of spending money too!
What does everyone buy to spend so much money? !
Rx
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

So I tell there girls they can’t spend it on tat... So my daughter will get a pin badge of each ride she goes on (if they do a pin for that ride). That is soon going to mount up lol. But we collect ride pin badges at every theme park we visit (if they do them) so its kind of a hobby for us. They will get maybe some jewerly, figureen for their bedroom , a doll, character cups. I imagine we are going to be picking up a lot of Harry Potter stuff as well. That type of stuff.

We plan on using left over snack credits to get presents for school friends etc.

The more I think about it I think I am going to have to start saving again lol

Edited at 11:27 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer!
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
A Harry Potter convention in July? Oooh, when and where is this? Our boys are HP-mad and me and DH are not far behind so any info you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
It’s called diag-con in Manchester. Apparently it was very in demand that they added an extra day and 2 days in October. Think they might be sold out now though
DisneyDreamer! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by QueenMab View Post
I’m astounded by how much spending money everyone takes! For our last trip (2016) our children (10 and 7 at the time) took about $100ish each and both came home with nearly half of that! We bought drinks and snacks and said they could buy souvenirs. Both of them bought presents for their friends at home and one small soft toy each and the odd glow thing. Other than that there wasn’t really much to buy that wasn’t tat in their opinion! DH and I brought back loads of spending money too!
Rx
My kids collect the pins, they're easily anything from $10 each and a few of those soon mount up. My DS bought himself 2 Orlando soccer football kids, my dd got herself 3/4 pandora charms, and they both bought themselves some stuff at Ralph Lauren in the outlets. The only other things they bought themselves in the Disney parks were Stitch plush teddies and dd got herself some ears. They bought the interactive HP wands, and HP t shirts from Universal. They came back with money as did we and we did a load of shopping too.

Edited at 11:47 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
So I tell there girls they can’t spend it on tat... So my daughter will get a pin badge of each ride she goes on (if they do a pin for that ride). That is soon going to mount up lol. But we collect ride pin badges at every theme park we visit (if they do them) so its kind of a hobby for us. They will get maybe some jewerly, figureen for their bedroom , a doll, character cups. I imagine we are going to be picking up a lot of Harry Potter stuff as well. That type of stuff.

We plan on using left over snack credits to get presents for school friends etc.

The more I think about it I think I am going to have to start saving again lol
In our defence it will be our only time as a family of 4, this holiday has taken us a few years to save up for, I wanted to do something special in 2018 to coincide with my Kidney Transplant being 25 years ago.
DisneyBobby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer!
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by QueenMab View Post
Rx
Everyone’s different.
Now I’m a little more careful in my choices of what to buy and now do ask her whether she will realistically play with whatever she is wanting to buy... a lot of the time she will put it back.
But it’s money she’s saved up herself so I see no reason why she can’t spend it if she wants too. Whatever she comes back with money wise gets saved for next time 🤷🏻

Disney dresses, accessories, toys, teddies all can add up quickly.
Harry Potter stuff is pricey aswell. 🤷🏻

Edited at 12:14 AM.
DisneyDreamer! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 02:44 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimer2014
Excited about Disney

We have learned a lot from our last trip. We gave the DC's $200 each last time, they were 4 and 6 and it was far too much for them.

This time they will be 8 and 10, and they're getting $150 each, earned by doing housework.

DH and I are taking a further $500 between us (we also have the $200 gift card). It's "our" money, we don't separate it into his and mine and we won't keep track of who spends what.

We are sticking to Disney only, we don't visit the malls, and we have the quick service dining plan, so we will probably come home with cash.
firsttimer2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

DD usually gets $20 a day, and sometimes doesnt buy anything and rolls over any change etc if she wants something more expensive towards end of holiday. Next time she wants a trip to American Girl store, so she is saving birthday and christmas money for that, and $20 again for park tat.
Old 10 Jan 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

DD has a princess castle money box and has been saving since we booked last April - Christmas money, money she gets when visiting Grandparents etc and DH and I put the odd £1 / £2 coins in every week or so - its amazing how it adds up. Also family have already said they will likely give her dollars for her 5th birthday in April. So we will add it all up before we go and likely divide it up into 14 envelopes so she has a daily limit and doesn't spend it all in the first shop! I'm thinking around $25 a day max?

DD adores the Disney shop here so I suspect she will want to spend on dresses, accessories, princess dolls etc and we will go to American Girl at the mall.

DH and I save together for our spends, although he wont do much shopping, maybe the odd t-shirt. I love Disney merchandise, especially homeware and Christmas decorations and looking forward to hitting Bath and Body Works. Will likely take about £500 in spending money.

We have DDP and $200 gift card will go towards covering tips.
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

our children are slightly older now - 12,11,10,8 and we work under the principle of - we are taking you on holiday - all food/drinks and activities are on us but that is it!

they are encouraged to save which usually is hard but for holidays so so easy - we provide them with tins they cant open so once its in - its in! and 50%of all xmas and b.day money goes in. they all have £400 each saved for this upcoming trip. I'm immensely proud of them all - dd has more but ive capped it at £400 as I think its more than enough!

as far as daily limit goes I suggested what my mum and dad did with me as a child in florida! and make 14 daily envelopes with money in each one - if you haven't spent money from that day it goes in with tomorrows money - it stops them spending it all in the first 3 days! but obviously if they needed more - it just means each day left - there is less money... sounds complicated but it worked for me lol x
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List