Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Now I know it’s too late to help the OP, but for others that may be about to apply for an ESTA I have the following suggestions that I follow, and it’s seen me OK up til now.

Start the application in a quiet room with no TV, phones, social media on etc. Ideally if you have kids, do it when they are out. The less distractions the better.
When filling out the form make full use of the “?” button next to each box, and read each one before answering. Answer what they have asked for, not what you think they want. ( e.g. There’s no box for a middle name, so don’t squeeze it in the first name box...they haven’t asked for one)
Fill out the five “have you” questions carefully reading what is asked. Answer truthfully.

Now you have filled it in you have to recheck everything. This is not an option, it guides you to each section that you have to recheck before you confirm that what you filled in is correct. This is most important to reread everything you have entered, and correct if necessary. This is where you can get complacent and think that you have already filled out the form, and skim thro it, don’t, just take your time and recheck.
As Chris says be wary of drop downs changing as you click off them.
All that done, you then pay and send off.

Try hard not to stress, keep thinking “ it’s just a form” and you should be OK.

As I said initially this won’t help the OP whom I feel for, but for others, this is the method I use and it may help others.

Hope this may be of help

And do it before you book. Get it out of the way and not under pressure having booked.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Our ESTA's expired last month and I was going to leave the renewal until closer to travel date. I think I'll wait for everyone to be out of the house and get the process started, just incase!

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

We travel next July but on the back of this thread and a few other things I've seen, I did ours last night.

Probably spent more time double and triple checking everything that I would normally, but it's worth the effort.
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by R3D4 View Post
We travel next July but on the back of this thread and a few other things I've seen, I did ours last night.

Probably spent more time double and triple checking everything that I would normally, but it's worth the effort.
That's good. Now you can relax in the knowledge that you've got USA travel approval until September 2020.

Unless you need a new passport of course.

Mick
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That's good. Now you can relax in the knowledge that you've got USA travel approval until September 2020.

Unless you need a new passport of course.

Mick
Both mine and my son's passport expires in July 2020 anyway, so we would not really be gaining anything from waiting any later to apply for them anyway.

My wife and daughter will have the full 2 years though!

Having booked and paid for everything barring the Disney hotel part of the trip, I'm glad it's out of the way
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

We're off to New York with the kids for my 50th in 6 weeks ( last minute decision!) and re-visit to Disney planned for August 2020 - I did our ESTAs as soon as we booked the trip over the weekend - really took my time. I am sure that it used to be a tick box for the Yes/No questions in the past ( the whole form used to be easier in my opinion).
Wife could not understand what all the fuss was about though... bless her!
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyPete View Post
We're off to New York with the kids for my 50th in 6 weeks ( last minute decision!) and re-visit to Disney planned for August 2020 - I did our ESTAs as soon as we booked the trip over the weekend - really took my time. I am sure that it used to be a tick box for the Yes/No questions in the past ( the whole form used to be easier in my opinion).
Wife could not understand what all the fuss was about though... bless her!
The questions now are far more extensive than when we did our first one in 2009. There are still no trick questions though and if you read what's behind every ? symbol they will all be explained.

The C&BP have published a detailed list of reasons behind the new questions which I found a couple of days ago but can't locate now.

There's no prize for doing it on a mobile in less than three minutes.

Mick
Old 18 Sep 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by mick View Post
There's no prize for doing it on a mobile in less than three minutes.

Mick
I thought the prize was a visit to the US Embassy for a Visa interview?

Edited at 03:31 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I did our group esta on the laptop in the dining room when nobody else was in with no music or TV on.
I have done these loads of times,but still get butterflies until I see the approved page,it's crazy!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023

Edited at 06:02 AM.
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

Having read all the recent posts about the Esta problems and mistakes and even though we dont go until July next year i thought id get it done now ! ,waited until both boys were at school and college and myself and hubby did them both checking everything 3 times before we confirmed them ,thankfully no issues and all sorted now for our trip ! phew x
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List