Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jun 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Hollywood to Anaheim

So we have a trip booked in September, and we are doing Hollywood - Anaheim - Vegas - San Francisco.

I was originally going to book a hire car for the full duration of the holiday, but after reading about the awful traffic in LA, I am thinking of picking it up later on in the holiday instead. If I were to do this, is there a way of getting from Hollywood to Anaheim without using Uber as I don't fancy paying uber fare and getting stuck in that amount of traffic, or are we just best sticking to the plan but driving between the two either super early in the morning or late at night?

Thanks
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

What time of day are you transferring between Hollywood and Anaheim? If in the evening then Uber should be fine.

If you are only doing Hollywood / Universal and things in the near vicinity then you could Uber / Lyft / Taxi etc around that area.

Depending where in Anaheim you are staying you probably won't need a car there at all if just doing Disney.

Public transport wise, if you have a small amount that you can easily handle by your group, the best option is the LA Metro Red Line Subway to Union Station, and then either Metrolink (Commuter Train) or Amtrak to the Fullerton or Anaheim Station. Then either Taxi / Uber etc to Anaheim or a bus. There is also the 704 bus. Public transport will take over 2.5 hours at best though.

Private transfer wise you are probably looking at $150 or more I would have thought.

Personally I'd have a car, especially for siteseeing around North LA, but if you are only doing Hollywood, Warner Bros, Universal for example, then I'd use Uber to get anround and transfer to Anaheim.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I didn't have any major issues with Uber/Lyft when in LA last year (one minor one but fixed within minutes once I contacted them), but was taking it at off-peak times. It's a really easy and fairly affordable way of getting around.

Otherwise if you want a fixed rate I think you could look into shuttles or private transfer services. I was looking mainly at airport transfers but I think Supershuttle/Execucar might do point to point transfers for fixed rates booked in advance.
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have not found the traffic to be any worse than it is in the Uk in any event if you are using any form of road transport you will be stuck in the same traffic as if you were driving. In the US the only two cities I don’t have a car in are NYC and SAN Francisco
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We got a transfer from Disney in Anaheim to our hotel in Hollywood, it cost $120
Old 12 Jun 19, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

as above, I would get a car and be done with it. Once your on the freeway, it is no worse than the M25 around Heathrow in rush hour
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
minijaffacake
Very Serious Dibber

minijaffacake's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I am in the very early stages of planning a possible trip for next year and have also been looking into ways to transfer from Hollywood to Anaheim without a car. It looks like the Amtrak train takes about an hour from union station to Anaheim so I figured this shouldn't be too bad if I uber to/from the station at either end.
minijaffacake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

I will be transferring from Hollywood to Anaheim by car. I have noticed on google maps that traffic becomes normal after 7pm in the evening
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List