Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Indirect Flight Home - Tell Me What to do

So we're flying home indirect this August, TPA - MIA - LHR

I've never flown indirect before. Is it all pretty straightforward? Will it be obvious what we have to do when we get to Miami? Do we have to collect our luggage or will it go straight through? Do we go through security again or do we stay airside? We have quite a long wait for the second flight, will there be somewhere to go for a leisurely dinner? Is there anything that might be vaguely interesting to do while we wait? (Not shopping, I'm sure we'll have spent all our $ by then!)

Basically, if anyone could talk me through what to do that would be great!
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

I've no experience of Miami airport so I can't help with the something to do question.
You won't need to collect your luggage until you get home though and as it will be an internal flight there will be no need to go through security again - just check that your boarding gate hasn't changed on the screens once you reach Miami.
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Going back your luggage goes straight through.

Basically, get off one plane, go to the other, get on.
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Great, thanks both.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Keep an eye on the boarding gates as they do change and Miami is a large airport to be running through at the last minute as DW and I found.
Old 25 Jun 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

as other posters have advised

get of your plane, check a screen for your next gate, and proceed to that gate.

there will be food outlets.

Remember that boarding for your flight to LHR will start 40 to 45 minutes before departure (it will be shown on your boarding pass) so don't stay too long away from your gate.

Staying by your gate will allow you to immediatly see if your gate has changed. Check regularly what's shown on the screen above the gate. And if you're too early for the gate screen to display your flight, check on the main departure screens

for food, check here shopmiamiairport/ret...category/dine/ (do not pick one that's "pre security" you'd need to exit, and then clear security. Only go to those marked "by gate ... ")

flights from TPA arrive at concourse D or E

if you're on BA your flight to LHR may depart from concourse E
if you're on VA, it will be concourse J
and american will be on D

Edited at 02:56 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Keep an eye on the boarding gates as they do change and Miami is a large airport to be running through at the last minute as DW and I found.
Yes def. check as soon as you land as they sometimes change gates whilst you are on first flight. You will get boarding card for 2nd flight when you check in/ drop bags at Miami. Download App for your airline so you can also see any changes when you land or ar waiting at (wrong) gate.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
You will get boarding card for 2nd flight when you check in/ drop bags at Miami..
I think you meant Tampa, not miami (just so that OP does not get confused)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

Much easier going home indirect, we went via Huston. Got off one plane and walked 5 minutes and waited to get back on the next plane. Just keep an eye on gates, but as others have said you won't see your luggage until to arrive back in the UK.
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

In terms of luggage, just make sure your copy of the bag tags say LHR is the final destination when you get given them at check in - this confirms they are checked through and no need to collect.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List