Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 3 Aug 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
peewakio
Very Serious Dibber

peewakio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
To cancel or not to cancel ?

OK so we're fully booked for next October and the savings going well. We're staying a CSR for the full two weeks with DDP with about 1k worth of other things such as Discovery Cove, HHN, KSC, Universal to pay for as well. We should be in the position to pay off the holiday in full by December at the latest.
That's all well and good until my youngest son now informs us that he's getting hitched next May.
Now I don't earn big bucks and I've been in serious debt before and promised myself 'never ever again'.
So as the father of the groom I really would like to contribute to the wedding in some fashion although to what extent I'm not really too sure what's expected. I'm divorced from my sons mother and I've no idea what she's planning to contribute if anything, or really care for that matter.
The one thing I do know is that I won't be flashing the credit/debit card around for either the holiday or the wedding.
Just wondered what's the norm with regards to a grooms fathers responsibilities these days as I really don't want to cancel the holiday or in fact be a skinflint in any way as it's not every day your kids get married, but I do envisage having to fork out a few grand for the wedding. Any thoughts dibbers?
peewakio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

What about offering to pay for a bar tab at the wedding breakfast/reception?
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi. Maybe drop one of your extras to free up a bit of money.

I dont think you have to contribute anything to the wedding unless you want to.
For both my Daughters I paid for the cake and flowers. I just think contribute what you feel you want to. There is no set guidelines.
Me personally I think its a bit out dated to expect the parent to pay for the wedding. Yes contribute for say either the cake, Flowers car, but maybe just one of the items.
Say like you drop DC that will cover say the cake. Win win, You keep ya holiday still do loads and you have helped someway towards the wedding.
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with the post above just offer to contribute whatever you can, your son will know you have a holiday planned id just make an offer to pay for something you can afford
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
16offtodisney!
Apprentice Imagineer

My In laws paid for nothing! Even though we were only quite young, and paid for the whole wedding ourselves, excluding my dress which my parents paid for, not a penny from the in laws ( they are divorced and his dad even has young children, which were bridesmaids/ paige , and they are well off!
DLP Newport bay Sept 2008,DLP Santa fe April 2010, Emerald Island Easter 2012,Indian Creek May 2014, Rosen inn @Pointe, Royal Pacific, Springhill Suites Christmas 2015,Port Orleans French Quarter October 2017,Cabana Bay, Doubletree @Seaworld, Allstars Movies Christmas 2018
Sarah xx
16offtodisney! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

My parents did not contribute to my wedding, I did nt expect them to. I knew they could nt afford it. No spare money.
My sister got married recently my mum received a Ppi pay out and they paid for the flowers and entertainers and something else maybe the cake). They also bought all the tea sets as it was an afternoon tea. Ppi would nt have paid for all that so goodness knows how they paid for these bits.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Our parents didnt pay anything toward our wedding which is how we wanted it. We also eloped and had no big white wedding. Our friends all married in their 30s too so no parental help behind some spending money for the honeymoons. It will depend entirely on your family dynamics, how old your son and his fiance are and what they earn and what they want for their wedding. You havent mentioned that but they may want a small wedding or they may be planning to have 500 people to a 5 star country estate! It seems you and his mother dont have much communication so I wouldnt worry about what shes contributing, your son will be used to seeing you as individuals with your own households and circumstances so no need to try to keep up with her.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I dont know why people expect their parents or partners parents to foot the bill? Its such an outdated tradition in my opinion! I married 4 years ago in September when I was 25... we planned and paid for everything ourselves. My parents did gift me some money towards my dress ( I think around 300) which was a lovely much appreciated gesture and not expected at all! Just gift what you can OP and your son will be grateful no matter the amount!
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

We got 1000 off our in laws towards our wedding but we didnt expect anything to be honest. It wouldnt of bothered me if we had got nothing from them.
mrsbenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoNick
Proud to wear my Ears

Personally I think you should concentrate on paying your holiday and not leaving yourself broke. You mention in your post were fully booked for next October and the savings are going well so I assume that youre not the only one going on holiday and youve got your budget well thought out. If you do leave yourself tight because of helping your son and his wedding costs it affects the other members of your group who are also going on the holiday. It sounds like this holiday has not come easily for you so please go and enjoy the holiday.
Most couples do not assume their parents will pay or contribute large sums for a wedding. I understand where you are coming from in that youd like to contribute so I would suggest you pay for the cake or something of similar value. Enjoy the holiday and the wedding day - it sounds like youre a caring dad that youre thinking of all this. Certainly do not think of spending a few grand on the wedding though, its too much money for an event that takes place on one day.
OrlandoNick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List