Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Aug 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

Help! First timer ,Aug 2020 where to start?

Hi desperate for advice when best to book.. we are family of 5 , kids will be 13,18,21. Planning on west coast 3 weeks next August as it’s my 50th as well as kids turning 18 and 21 in same month! So want to get this right!

Went to Florida 5 years ago and really appreciated the advice on here and had a fantastic holiday but this trip seems way too expensive already. I’ve had a look at prices and flights from Manchester £800 each and I’ve just priced Alamo for three weeks dodge caravan and it was £2200!

Looking at flights into sfo and return la or San Diego. Would love to do the drive from sfo to la. How much is reasonable price to pay for flights and car hire for Aug school hols? When would you advise I book also? Wanted to book flights ASAP in case they get booked up with being Aug?

Any advice would be gratefully received as it’s a special occasion I don’t want to mess up! Thanks!
jacko7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

You’re not going to get good prices for August 2020 yet as we’ve not completed August 2019. Scheduled airlines release seats 11 months out, which is when charter airlines (such as Thomas Cook) will start to release realistic prices.

My advice for now is to concentrate on working out a route. Where you want to start and finish, and where you would like to stay along the way.

Start getting ideas of hotels, rentals etc that would suit your party size so you’ve an idea of areas and accommodation that suit.

I wouldn’t start looking at prices until probably October at the earliest, and I possibly wouldn’t book then. Airlines tend to have sales around December and January.

The only exception to this would be if you were looking to stay somewhere with very little accommodation, such as Yosemite. This books up quickly, so I would secure accommodation as soon as. Bear in mind that some hotels will require you to pay in full when booking to secure the booking and price. This would probably also be none refundable.

Any questions, please just ask.

Happy Planning!
Old 25 Aug 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve had the best prices for the west coast in January for August. I kept a tracker on google flights for our destinations. Started it in September, prices reached the lowest on Jan 19th this year for August. They dipped back down very close to those lowest fares in March and late May. We flew yesterday for our 3rd year and have never paid more than £500 return for a multi city. £800 seems too expensive but maybe it’s the premium for flying direct from Manchester.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

That’s great thank you... planning on driving sf coast road to la, San Diego and Yosemite but not sure what order yet! Thanks for your help
jacko7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

Thank you those prices seem a lot better for flights, what would you expect to pay for three weeks car hire dodge caravan ? I got a shock at Alamo quote of £2200 for pick up sf and drop off at la
Old 25 Aug 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We booked for next August with TC and paid £600pp which is economy out and premium return. We then paid £530 for an SUV for 14 nights as we don’t need the car for our last few nights. This is into Vegas and out of San Fran but late August into September.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi as others have said you need to wait ,flights approx £500, you don't need a caravan as it is like a minibus, look for a large SUV ,approx £5/600
Accomodation will be much more expensive than orlando . You should for this look at airbnb or home away. Generally in and out of LA would be cheapest flights.
Look at planning a circular route to accommodate this.
So you need to work out what you want to see.
IE
Disney,universal. Lots don't do these.
Santa Barbara ,cambira coast rd to Monterey
Monterey,aquarium,17 mile dr,whale watching,pebble beech.
San Fran lots to see.
Yosemite fantastic
Death Valley to vegas,some shows
Palm Springs and then San Diego and then home from LA
Hope this gives you some food for thought would recommend min 2 nights at most places, 3 n at yosemite, San Fran ,vegas.

Edited at 03:21 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We hired a 7 seater SUV from San Fran and dropped in Vegas at under £800 for 23 days from Hertz. Was 3 years ago now mind.

You won't need a car on SF so we picked it from the airport on the way out.

Parking can be $75 a night and motels with free parking were not in the area we wanted to be in at fishemans wharf. They were 15 to 20 minutes walk away.

With older children and 5 of you it may work out better to be getting a car and staying in one of the motels with free parking. No doubt someone will suggest the best one shortly.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
BallisticJack
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by jacko7 View Post
Thank you those prices seem a lot better for flights, what would you expect to pay for three weeks car hire dodge caravan ? I got a shock at Alamo quote of £2200 for pick up sf and drop off at la
I paid £1,135 for 24 days with Alamo for a Dodge Caravan in July/Aug this year - pick up and return from LAX. My advice would be book through Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire once you know your dates. One booked keep an eye on prices and if they move downwards contact Andy and he'll adjust what you will pay.
BallisticJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko7
Earning More Ears

Thanks everyone for the advice...I will get planning .

Can anyone recommend any affordable places to stay in San Francisco for a family of 5? I started to look at Columbus motor inn that is mentioned on here but it was $1400 for four nights next August... is this the average price you think?