Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Sep 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Hurricane Delay - Insurance

Hi

We were due to fly out on Tuesday but with MCO closed and flight cancelled we are now due to fly out Thursday.

We booked an additional 2 nights using our points. How would we claim the cost back from the insurance ? How do you work out what the ‘cost’ would be?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I don't think you will be able to claim back anything really. Certainly my own insurance specifically excludes points from a timeshare (also flights using air miles).

There is a policy that DVC offers which will repay the dues only if you have to cancel a booking. I don't know if it works for UK members or if it's just US as I've not looked into it in detail.

If you have had to cancel any nights it's worth speaking to MS to see if they can help restore any lost points. From what I've heard they can be quite helpful given the circumstances.

As far as the your new booking goes, maybe your insurers might repay you something(dues?) but if you haven't actually forked out then I doubt it. Seems mad but a cash booking would probably be easier to reclaim.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’ve never cancelled at short notice.but I think the cancelled points go into holding and then you should use them to book the new nights ?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

I will be trying when we get back as we had to book 2 extra nights using points as the hotel was not showing any availability as a cash booking and wanted to put us on a wait list. we couldnt' take the chance.

I would say it was the equivalent cost of a nights accommodation
Old 5 Sep 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
I will be trying when we get back as we had to book 2 extra nights using points as the hotel was not showing any availability as a cash booking and wanted to put us on a wait list. we couldnt' take the chance.

I would say it was the equivalent cost of a nights accommodation
Let me know how you get on.

I did think of doing a cash booking, I will give it a try with the insurance company when I get home.

Thanks guys
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by lov2dibb View Post
I don't think you will be able to claim back anything really. Certainly my own insurance specifically excludes points from a timeshare (also flights using air miles).

There is a policy that DVC offers which will repay the dues only if you have to cancel a booking. I don't know if it works for UK members or if it's just US as I've not looked into it in detail.

If you have had to cancel any nights it's worth speaking to MS to see if they can help restore any lost points. From what I've heard they can be quite helpful given the circumstances.

As far as the your new booking goes, maybe your insurers might repay you something(dues?) but if you haven't actually forked out then I doubt it. Seems mad but a cash booking would probably be easier to reclaim.
Sadly they binned us UK Owners from that Travelex Policy that DVC sell about a year ago.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
When we got held up in a hurricane a few years ago, we had to stay a further 3 nights in DVC. We picked up a leaflet from guest services which indicated the rack rate for the room and got a receipt confirming the stay and points it ‘cost’. Our insurance covered the rack rate price for the 3 nights...
It was ok BUT we decided that if ever it happened again we would move to another hotel or pay for the room on a creditcard to get the cash back, as we considered this was the better option...
Old 5 Sep 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think it depends who you are insured with. We were delayed by one day due to Hurricane Matthew in 2016. We were staying in a 2 bed villa on points and were able to stay in the same room for an extra night also on points. We were insured with Nationwide Flexplus. Although it didn't specifically mention timeshare in the T&C they agreed to pay out what the room would have cost paying cash. We emailed Disney who advised us of the price and Nationwide paid up the full amount.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have had to cancel 2 nights due to delayed return of cruise because of storm. I spoke to member services and they said my points have gone back into holding but she has emailed someone to have them taken out of holding. I’m not sure what being in holding actually means
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Birtie View Post
We have had to cancel 2 nights due to delayed return of cruise because of storm. I spoke to member services and they said my points have gone back into holding but she has emailed someone to have them taken out of holding. I’m not sure what being in holding actually means
Holding is limited time use only.

Nice that they have helped you out. They did the same with us in Ash Cloud year albeit holding would have been ok as we flew 6 weeks later.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List