Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 Sep 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

I think we're close to making an offer

We have money in the savings account, I've spent months researching and exchange rate following, I've done a comparison spreadsheet including forecasts so have a realistic idea of what to expect.
I think we need around 140 points to allow us a 1 bed villa at SSR or OKW for 2 weeks every 3 years.
So I have two final pre purchase questions:
1. What is a reasonable amount to offer? if the advert is for 150 points with full points available from 2020 and they want $103/pt would it be ok to offer $95/pt? is there a set amount or percentage less that is likely to be accepted?
2. How do you pay? assuming it's not as simple as a bank transfer?
TIA
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tynxuk View Post
We have money in the savings account, I've spent months researching and exchange rate following, I've done a comparison spreadsheet including forecasts so have a realistic idea of what to expect.
I think we need around 140 points to allow us a 1 bed villa at SSR or OKW for 2 weeks every 3 years.
So I have two final pre purchase questions:
1. What is a reasonable amount to offer? if the advert is for 150 points with full points available from 2020 and they want $103/pt would it be ok to offer $95/pt? is there a set amount or percentage less that is likely to be accepted?
2. How do you pay? assuming it's not as simple as a bank transfer?
TIA
95 would be a good price. It's doable as someone yesterday had 89 accepted on one, but that was likely stripped. I just actually paid 103 but my use year is quite rare, I wanted to ensure it passed ROFR and mine was 100 points and they always seem to go for a bit more.
Have you checked the ROFR thread? I'd have said it was at risk of being taken, but they just seem to have waived a ton of them through.
Re paying you can usually pay the 10% deposit on credit card. Then you wire the money. This has to be done in US dollars so best way is to use a currency exchanger. I've always used HiFX and had no issues on the others so will use them again. Basically you set your rate with HiFX, transfer to them the sterling and they then auto transfer into the closing companies' escrow account.
There may be slightly higher rates with some other currency transfer companies, but people have had a few issues with the transfers, so I am sticking with HiFX.
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

I second what YT has said I had lots of issues with transferwise and in the end swappe dto Hifx and it was sent no problem. I would also look at the ROFR thread as it gives you a rough idea about what may be taken. As a side when I was looking international sellers sellers from outside US, were rarely taken so I may be cheeky on those and put a good offer in
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

We used Transferwise to pay for our newest DVC contract and it worked perfectly. Kept informed throughout the whole process, it went through quickly and it was a far better rate than any other I found.

Good luck, hope you get your contract!
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I am actually just doing it now- checked Transferwise, it appeared £45 cheaper on my contract amount so was tempted, but then saw they add on a transfer fee so there is £10 in it- and I have an account with HiFX (XE) already and they do the Post Office so I am as sure as I can be that they are a safe bet whilst they hold my money for the hours before transfer.
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone for the info but we're putting a hold on this as the money may be going on a move to a bigger home, if the bank say no we'll stay put and start the ball rolling with DVC again .
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Hendriks
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We bought a 225 Contract earlier this year that had 175 Points banked

It was an international seller and i have learned via this forum that Disney very rarely do ROFR on foreign contracts

It was $105 and we offered $5 less - so your sounds reasonable

The only issue we had was getting a ITIN number and had to do skype interview

We did a Bank transfer from UK bank to the Attorney dealing with sale and other than the wait - was quite straightforward
Hendriks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I appreciate you're waiting at the moment, but when you do decide to buy it's worth offering slightly less than you hope to pay to allow for negotiation. You may get lucky! I believe ours was advertised at $137 (BCV). We offered $125 with the aim of settling at $130 but they countered with $127 so we were perfectly happy to accept!

If your offer is too low at least you'll know. There definitely aren't any set amounts or percentages. This is only a guess, but people who've held their contracts a long time may be a little more easy going about the price as it's probably a lot more than they paid for it and they've had their money's worth (mine was originally bought direct and held for 12 years I think). Those who have financed and are struggling to pay or have changed their mind within a year of two or buying will want to get as much back as possible.

We also used HiFX (who have rebranded as XE). I would recommend them, although I've never used anyone else to compare them with.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I forgot to say, good luck with the house move and I hope it all works out!

Edited at 06:23 PM.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List