Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Sep 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jokercraig
Proud to wear my Ears

Took the gamble and have re booked with Virgin

Hi all,

Not sure if I have done the right thing and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. After watching the exit from the Thomas Cook meeting today I took the plunge and booked a new holiday with Virgin, my thought process was that if they do go under I'll get my money back through ATOL but I'm guessing other TA will raise there costs to maximise their profits out of a bad situation and if they survive I am out of pocket for about £600 (although I do get to go back in the bubble).

Has anyone else done something similar (the joys of second guessing!)
jokercraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Hope you managed to get it for a good price... tbh If I was in this situation I may well have done the same..
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SlinkyDog73
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by jokercraig View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if I have done the right thing and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. After watching the exit from the Thomas Cook meeting today I took the plunge and booked a new holiday with Virgin, my thought process was that if they do go under I'll get my money back through ATOL but I'm guessing other TA will raise there costs to maximise their profits out of a bad situation and if they survive I am out of pocket for about £600 (although I do get to go back in the bubble).

Has anyone else done something similar (the joys of second guessing!)
Yes I did on Friday. The whole package, yes I knew I would lose the deposit but it was a price I was happy with.

I could not go over the weekend worrying.
SlinkyDog73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jokercraig
Proud to wear my Ears

The changes between the two were bubble seats, a larger car (Mid size SUV to a Suburban), villa changed from Champions gate to Solterra and departure date 2 days early.
For me the £600 I may lose is kind of balanced out with the changes but I can honestly see the price of the holiday going up a fair bit if they don't survive.
jokercraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I did this a couple of weeks ago,I still intended moving my TC booking for later on so I wouldn't lose the £500 I've paid to them.I got a good price with Virgin and flying from Glasgow too so suits us better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jokercraig View Post
The changes between the two were bubble seats, a larger car (Mid size SUV to a Suburban), villa changed from Champions gate to Solterra and departure date 2 days early.
For me the £600 I may lose is kind of balanced out with the changes but I can honestly see the price of the holiday going up a fair bit if they don't survive.
Yes sadly for sure.. the prices will probably go up .. enjoy planning your new holiday! :-)
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We took the decision to re-booked with BA on Saturday as we are/were flights only with TC this week.

Got a good price (better than what we paid in Feb for TC) for almost identical flights, we decided we could move them if not needed and the peace of mind was priceless.

But I accept we are fortunate that we could afford to do this without waiting for CC or insurance pay out, partly as I still have a job tomorrow. My heart goes out to those who may not.

Edited at 10:21 PM.
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If our trip was DIY then I think we’d have booked new flights as well - waiting to speak to Ocean Florida to see what options are - hopefully tomorrow

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
We have flight only booked via a credit card so hopeful of getting a refund

Trying to decide if I should book new flights right now ?
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
If our trip was DIY then I think we’d have booked new flights as well - waiting to speak to Ocean Florida to see what options are - hopefully tomorrow
Our timescale is very similar to yours Tinsel, as we were DIY we decided that we didn't want to wait, it felt disloyal, underhanded maybe but my stress levels were starting to affect me physically

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List