Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Feb 14, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

UPDATED TODAY; Feel sick! Fallen into the trap!...

I helped my 16year old apply for his provisional just over a week ago online and all seemed well. Something started niggling me (just a feeling) and today I decided to ask my son to check his online bank and £25 had been taken out but he didn't know why. I have played it down in front of him as I don't want to scare him until I have sorted it all and can sit him down properly tonight and explain.

It was a gov. Uk site with the padlock... So I thought all was well but a bit like the ESTA how here are companies who "help you" for a fee... This link took me to DVLA GOV site so all looked correct but on filling in what we thought was DVLA stuff they got his details and have been taking £24 for a magazine subscription that he hasn't received! And what's more they have not even put an application for his provisional in.

I rang DVLA this morning as soon as they opened after my son checked his bank and straight away she she said I'm sorry but it's not us you think you have applied with and explained that they have recently had lots of people like me ringing up chasing applications that had never happened. I was told at least I rang within 10 days and found it early.

I am sat here now shaking, feeling sick after blasting the company who took my sons money and told them in no uncertain terms that what they do is wrong on so many levels. They are issuing a full refund and since I put the phone down they have emailed me apologising for if I feel misled and hadn't been made aware that the subscription would be taken out of his bank regularly! They said they apologise that it was clear... Wasn't clear, you never even knew you wasn't on DVLA's official site! Most certainly wasn't clear in ANY WAY!

I am writing this to warn anyone else who may be applying for licences. Please be careful. DVLA told me they have trading standards and fraud people looking in to it as they have become aware of how many cases there are from the same company.

Worst of all I still have to apply for his licence but this time I will be doing it the old fashioned way, paper form from the Post Office!

Edited at 04:16 PM.
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

What a horrible thing to happen, there are some really nasty people out there. It's not your fault, sounds like they did a professional job of it as so many others have also been caught.

Don't fret on it for too long, get angry with them not annoyed about yourself.

Linda. Xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Don't beat yourself up, it's easy to make a mistake when there are unscrupulous companies about. I'm glad you're getting a refund and an apology.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
pixie81
Imagineer

pixie81's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 92
Guidebook Reviews: 8
What an awful thing to happen. Why can't people just get proper jobs to earn their money like the majority of us, rather than defrauding innocent people for their hard earned cash.

Have you called your bank? Reported it to the police? If you have a crime reference number your bank should refund the money. I hope you get it sorted. x
pixie81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I would also notify the bank if i were you to make sure that they don't take any more money out..i wouldn't rely on them saying they won't etc.

As for these sites, morally they are very wrong and some appear in the search engines above the official sites, i'm sure one for passports did recently.
Its been a problem for a few years now , loads of people must have been caught out by them.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by pixie81 View Post
What an awful thing to happen. Why can't people just get proper jobs to earn their money like the majority of us, rather than defrauding innocent people for their hard earned cash.

Have you called your bank? Reported it to the police? If you have a crime reference number your bank should refund the money. I hope you get it sorted. x
Morally they are wrong, but legally i don't know, i know the passport one does say that you are paying for a form to be filled in not a official passport application albeit its not overly clear and easy to find, but it is there ..so as underhanded as they are i guess they can say "well its in the T&Cs you should check what your doing".

They must be raking it in though, makes you wonder how they can sleep at night !
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post

My poor Mum got caught on the Esta ones
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I got caught with my son's passport last year. It looked exactly like the official one. It was only when I queried a £60 payment with my bank and they told me it was a fee - the passport was only £75! I got straight on to the company and they did apologise and give me a full refund. It seems they know they're doing wrong but try to get away with it anyway. I need a new passport this year but I'll be treble checking before making any payment.
Old 24 Feb 14, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
charleion
slightly serious Dibber

Is this the company in question

driving-licence-application/
Old 24 Feb 14, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
curry1402
VIP Dibber

Once you have given them a 'reasonable' amount of time to refund you in full ring your banks fraud dept and get them to process the refund x

2005 Emerald Island Resort
2010 Regal Sun Resort
2013 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH
2014 Old Key West & RPR
2016 Old Key West & HRH
2018 Old Key West & RPR
curry1402 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread