Old 17 Nov 14, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Ooh..this is a bit posh for us! Day minus 1 - Manchester

Day minus 1
I woke up around 3am with a runny nose and constant sneezing! I took some anti-histamine and played around on Dibb and FB on my phone before finally climbing back into bed around 7am. Up again just after 8 and the sneezing had reached epic proportions! I had hoped to have breakfast across the road at the Malt Shovel but it was still closed so we wandered up Cockburn St and came across a small café serving cooked breakfasts; the Cockburn Café. 2 x full breakfasts with mugs of tea (and strangely at breakfast) a mint chocolate on our saucer was £17 odds.

Back to the hotel for our morning SSS….yes, we went for our breakfast unclean *blush*….and in yesterday’s clothes! All changed into our nice “First Class train journey” outfits I tried unsuccessfully to do OLCI (I then read on the Dibb that others were having problems so I wasn’t too worried about the possibility of a cavity search).

Packed up and out of the hotel we were in Waverley Station in around 3 minutes (downhill ) ….. I was also getting advice on FB about some magic spray for my nose which would miraculously cure my sneezing.

The “open fire” in the lounge area of the hotel

….I took advice from a Dibber, Gala, and bought Vick’s nasal spray from Boots; boy that stuff nips!

As soon as our train was posted on the big board we headed to the platform, stowed the luggage on the racks and found our reserved seating. We were in aisle seats facing each other across the table in a set of 4 seats. The couple who arrived to sit beside us decided to sit at an unreserved table for two across the aisle from us…not sure if it was the snot that put them off but hey ho….we had a table and 4 seats to ourselves! I took the obligatory “oh look, you can see the First Class headrest” photo to post on FB and we were on our way.

I played around with my seat as it has a cool recline feature…..the seat moves forward as you recline so it doesn’t eat into the space of the person behind. I sat bolt upright though as there was free stuff on its way round the carriage! As soon as we got going our wee attendant handing out small bottles of water and a small tray of “All day snack selection” including some shortbread, flap jack, pretzels (identical wee packet to the one you get on VA) crackers and cheese and a miniature Green & Blacks chocolate.

It was decent as a wee snack considering it was now around lunchtime. Our attendant was then round asking if we wanted a hot drink, I had tea and asked for loads of extra milk….two of those wee thimbles of pretend milk just don’t cut it I’m afraid…. An hour or so later we were offered more hot drinks and given an “afternoon tea” box which contained a dinky wee scone with a portion of jam and a very rich chocolate cake….

both were hoovered up immediately, this train travel is hungry work! More tea followed buy I declined this time.
I had an attempt at doing OLCI on my phone after reading a comment on FB that people were now able to use the system. Due to the signal dipping in and out on my phone it took me all the way from Lancaster to almost Wigan to complete it.
Off the train which was bang on time, up to the concourse in the huge lift and along the walkway to the Radisson Blu. We went straight to the lifts as I knew Business Class checked in on the 9th floor…..felt a bit silly sitting at the desk being checked in knowing Jake was standing behind me with the cases and was still wearing that ridiculously too wee zipper! We were given room 910 and told about the happy hour in the club lounge and breakfast etc. The room was fab but as usual the complimentary bathrobes were too small (must be defective) the slippers fitted though so I flip flopped around in them for a few minutes just to get my money’s worth!

We wandered along the walkway just to suss out where we needed to be in the morning and kill some time until they started serving the hot snacks in the lounge. Of course I also got the obligatory photo of the “blue tunnel”.

In the lounge we got ourselves settled into nice seats by the window and enjoyed all that was on offer. Between 5pm and 7.30pm hot canapés and a selection of wines and spirits are on offer in addition to the soft drinks and beer (Peroni) which are offered outside of these times. There were mini cheeseburgers, mini cottage pies, 2 different types of spring roll, bread with smoked salmon, bread with mushroom and onion and also bread with chicken and mayo. The wine selection was simply; red, rose or white. The white was a Chenin Blanc but it was acceptable (imagine no Pinot Grigio! )….I had a couple just to make sure it was OK. Jake (now without the ridiculous zipper) had a couple of bottles of Peroni and a few trips to the canapes before deciding to go back to the room to watch TV

I chose to stay and keep the complimentary wine company as I’m not that fussed about Strictly come dancing! Not a very flattering photo….too many chins and arms far too short for this selfie lark!

I finally waddled along to our room and we watched QI before going to sleep. I was zonked out first as I was slightly piddled and I’d also been awake since 3am!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Hotel looks very nice, looking forward to the travel day x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Oooh hotel looks lush
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Looks really nice x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you still not on the plane?

Pesky dressing gowns must have shrunk in the wash!

Looking forward to travel day minus 0
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
gerryc
Imagineer

gerryc's Reviews
Very swish hotel!

1995 Kissimmee, 1997 & 2000 international drive
2008 Calabay Park,2011,2014,2016,2017 Lake Buena vista. 2018 DLP, Las Vegas
gerryc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Are you still not on the plane?

Pesky dressing gowns must have shrunk in the wash!

Looking forward to travel day minus 0
You might have to wait until tomorrow... photobucket is taking forever to upload photos
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Ooh, lovely hotel... very posh! The train snacks look nice, and glad Jakes ditched the zipper

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post

it looks lovely, nice start to the holiday
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ameliaUK
Imagineer

Very posh Myra...enjoying your report so far

Jan 2008 Fairfield inn LBV,2009 and 2010 villa at highgate park..October 2014 Florida road trip,October 2016 villa in highgate ...Jan 2018 New York ,Vegas,New orleans
ameliaUK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List