Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 10 Nov 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Expensive way to shop, holiday yes ?
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If you were going solely to shop for Christmas, surely any savings would be cancelled out by your flight and accomodation?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

It’s to get the bits I can’t get here
And for a mini break
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just keep in mind that there is a £390 limit on goods (including any duty free you buy in the airport) before you are supposed to declare them and pay Customs Duty and VAT. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get caught but I worked with a woman that did. She'd been Christmas shopping in New York with her sister and was totally unaware there was even a limit. TSA checked her baggage and she'd left tags on everything so they could add up what she had spent and she had to pay it or surrender the goods.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Done t before yes just me and the Mrs, was it value after the cost of the flights and hotel? No. Was it a great week being able to buy things that we couldnt get back here in the UK, HELL YES!

Food and weather were great, had a blast would do it again without doubt... oh wait im back next week with the family and hitting up black friday with intentions of getting all my christmas pressies.
Old 11 Nov 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
Just keep in mind that there is a £390 limit on goods (including any duty free you buy in the airport) before you are supposed to declare them and pay Customs Duty and VAT. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get caught but I worked with a woman that did. She'd been Christmas shopping in New York with her sister and was totally unaware there was even a limit. TSA checked her baggage and she'd left tags on everything so they could add up what she had spent and she had to pay it or surrender the goods.
Why would the TSA checking her baggage have led to her having to pay the duty she owed? Did they tip off Customs and Excise in the UK?

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
We are doing just this 10-20 December. Only MVMCP, the rest of the time shopping for things we can’t get at home! Not expecting to save money but want to experience a US run up to Christmas. It also comes after a pretty hectic work contract for me, delivering training in India, ≈≈≈≈stan and Malaysia, so also hoping for a bit of relaxation too.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

Having just come back at the end of September, I wouldn't go just for shopping as we found it really expensive for everything. If you are going to buy things you can't get here in the UK then I would say it is worth it as long as you are not expecting a cheap break or cheap deals!

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
I took my mum for a week Christmas shopping in 2007. The exchange rate was good so it was fun and great value. Suspect it is simply fun nowadays but would certainly consider it if the opportunity arose. We were buying stocking fillers for my daughter in Claire's Accessories in Florida Mall. Mum, who was getting on a bit even then, didn't think my matching gingerbread couple were as appealing as the musical stuffed toy she had chosen . She insisted on asserting " Well they're not as cute as my beaver. My beaver is lovely. My beaver can sing". The sales assistant was finding it hard to keep a straight face.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
roisin
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

We are going to be there the 9th to the 13th after a few days in Chicago with family ..other than using our ap for one day at universal and maybe sea world the rest will be spent Xmas shopping ..I can’t wait !
roisin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List