Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Oct 17, 04:19 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile Sleep walking

I am getting increasingly concerned about my sons sleep walking. He is 9, and several times each week he will sleep walk. Normally it is just upstairs to our room ( we live in a 3 story and he is in his own on the middle floor). However I have just got up to get ready for work and had the shock of my life to find him downstairs asleep on the sofa.

I have put him to bed but he is upset as he doesn’t know how he got there.

We always leave the landing light on but I am wondering if the light may be a cause of his waking?

Any other suggestions? I fear he will walk out the front door one day.
Old 18 Oct 17, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

My daughter used to sleepwalk quite regularly. (She still does occasionally as an adult). We used to use baby listening devices plugged in her room. She would get up and be chatting away to people. Sometimes she would be quiet. You'd often wake to the sound of her moving around, cleaning her teeth etc. We used to 'use a routine' as soon as we knew she was up and on the move, we would try and lead her back to bed and repeat the same 'bedtime story.' The continuity seemed to help her settle back into sleep but I'd often be awake listening for the slightest sound.
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Is he worrying about something? My son started doing it when he was upset after his Dad went. He would get up have an imaginary chat with his sister and run up and down the stairs. He hasn't done it for a while. If he's got a lot on his mind I can sometimes hear him walking round his bedroom. Not to worry you but do you keep the door keys out of reach? My stepbrother sometimes let himself out of the house in the night. He also rang a few people in the middle of the night as he got older.
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My son used to sleepwalk but has grown out of it now. We had to hide the keys as one night he unlocked the front door and went to go out! He also walked into a cupboard on a residential trip and cut his ear! He also used to go to the toilet in places other than the bathroom! We laugh about it with him now but it was quite scary at the time.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Could you put a bolt at the top
of the front door and just lock it at night just incase?
I say this as I was a sleepwalker when I was younger and one day I did get out the front door so this was the only thing my parents could think of to keep me safe .
I don’t have any advice on how to stop it as I just grew out of it but maybe swap the landing light for a nightlight on the landing instead . That’s what we have and it’s light enough to help see where you’re going but not light enough to disturb anyone
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
BoxOfFrogs
VIP Dibber

BoxOfFrogs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My daughter sleep walks, its creeeeepy! I have found her standing in the living room in the pitch dark, just standing there, I hate it, I put a high bolt on the front door, just a simple bolt as we had the same worries, very strange but don't think its anything to worry about
Old 18 Oct 17, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Have you tried no drinks after 6 pm and no blackcurrant squash ( irritates the bladder at night so they go looking for the toilet ) , regular same time bedtime and a relaxing hr before bed ( warm baths help) . If it persists I would actually take him to the gp. My mum took me and our gp sorted me out. I was 12 and he gave me some medication ( no idea what ) I’ve never slept walk since. I did get out of the house so she had to do something. Good luck xx
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
How long has he been sleeping on that floor on his own? Could it be a sort of isolation anxiety?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I would also suggest a bolt at the very top of the door.
Also, have you considered stair gates to ensure he doesn’t fall down the stairs?

I really would recommend the stair gates.

Edited at 09:36 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BoxOfFrogs View Post
My daughter sleep walks, its creeeeepy! I have found her standing in the living room in the pitch dark, just standing there, I hate it, I put a high bolt on the front door, just a simple bolt as we had the same worries, very strange but don't think its anything to worry about
Our youngest son used to sleepwalk and he used to just stand at the bottom of our bed in the dark. It would freak us out (we would somehow sense he was there even though he never spoke or moved).

It is was creepy but he grew out of it eventually. He was too small to open the front door though. I never knew how to stop it.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List