Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

General musings having been back a week

Well we have been back to reality and work/ school for a week so I thought I good do the traditional highs and lows , I am hoping to get around to a trip report soon if possible. Our party included myself (46 and chief planner) my 2 sons who are 9 and 16 ( he had his 16 th whilst we were there, and my mum. We stayed in AKL for 12 nights with ddp

Highs

AKL- I originally booked Carrie bean beach but deceided to upgrade before the construction saga even began. An amazing hotel so glad we did I loved it. We booked a standard room and I added my mum on afterwards and was really hoping for a bunk bed room, I faxed them a few days before and we got one with a partial view.it was lovely animals from our balcony and I didn't find it dark at all. We were on the lobby floor about half way along so not to far for everything else

Epcot food and wine- we enjoyed this so much we did it twice and we had so many snack credits up we were trying to use the up.

TSM- my and my ds 16 favourite ride one night we managed to do in 4 times in a rode itjust before closing

Buses- never seemed to wait long at all

Food- generally had great food not one bad meal and far to much to eat. Ended up with 44 snack credits left on last day. Best meals were boathouse, brown derby and best of all Californian grill
Also loved tucker house and Crystal Palace

United- flew Edinburgh- Newark- Orlando, it was over £1000 cheaper than Thomas cook or virgin and was fine. Small planes but good ife, good service, food could have been better, v easy at Newark walked through an empty immigration hall

Not so sure,s

Flight of passage - I know this will be controversial but we had mixed opinions. Ds 16 loved it, I was loving it then started to feel a little sick and was worried as you can't move, I had a bag in my pocket but wasn't sure I could get it so spent the last half of the ride panicking a bit and as quite glad to get off, and my ds 9 didn't like it at all, he loves roller coasters and star tours and simulators in universal but said he just didn't feel it and dint like being clamped in. We did have 2 FP but didn't use the second.

Jiko and Boma- I wanted to love these but Boma was just heaving, we waited ages to get in, then ages to get food, the food was nice but it was noisy and not relaxing at all. We were planning breakfast there but cancelled every day we walked past it was the same people everywhere. Jiko again really looking forward to it mine was ok, ds16 vegetarian dish was unpleasant and my mum wasn't to fussed on hers

Prime time cafe- this should be a high really food was great and enjoyed it but my ds16 hated it! He was not amused at all and could not get why anyone would want to eat where they are rude to you! Having said that the server commended my boys for how polite they were and they ate everything

Lows

Illness- we all got a flu bug except ds 9 which meant one off us was off par from about day 2 to coming home. This did mean we slowed right down and sprang more time in the hotel

Crowds- it was the busiest we have ever been, much more so than July 2016, the first wed in MK it was so busy you couldn't move, FP lines were miles long and there was even a man with a sign at the end of people mover queue, it was hard to enjoy! Apart from our FP we didn't get on much else any days

2 Days after we got home our beloved dog (misty the pug) died she has been ill for some time but hung on in until we got home which has made post holiday blues even worse

Plans- not sure when we will be back, we only did Disney this time and a rough plan I have is oct 2019 in a villa doing universal, dc etc
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds for the most part you had a really good holiday. It's a shame most of you caught a bug. Its horrible when that happens on holiday. Sorry to hear about your dog.
Old 30 Oct 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
So many snack credits ! Sounds like a good trip, despite the illness. Sorry to hear about Misty.
Thanks for posting.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

So sorry to hear about Misty, that’s very sad .
For what it’s worth I felt the same about Flight of passage. I started off thinking “wow this is great!” And then I started to feel rough and closing my eyes didn’t help .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

I love reading highs n lows. Thanks for sharing. Your holiday sounds fab, shame about the flu bug though.