Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question Best gluten/dairy free xmas foods?

I'm still quite new to eating gluten free and things are so expensive I hate wasting money on things only to find out they are vile so wondering what peoples recommendations are for xmas goodies?

I did quite like the sains iced top mince pies I had last year & the M&S single serve xmas pudding is pretty good though the M&S xmas cake bar was vile

I've seen a really cute polar bear cake & a salted caramel sponge in morrisons xmas food section but never tried any of their own brand products as there isn't one local
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
PENELOPE
Imagineer

I not iced that the morrisons Xmas food order book has quite a lot of gluten free in it this year and isn't as overpriced as some stuff I've seen
PENELOPE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

My DH likes the icing topped Xmas cake bar slices in Tesco x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
There quite a lot in Sainsbury’s . I am weat and sugar free so most things I make myself .
cartoonp is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Some of Tesco's chilled party foods are gluten free but it's just the regular stuff so you have to look through it all to see what is and isn't. I have pre ordered an m&s party food selection but don't know what it's like. Last night we had an m&s hot chocolate fudge pudding from their dine in for two deal (again, it was just a regular dessert that happened to be gluten free) and it was amazing!

I usually make my own stuffing with gf sausages (I squeeze the meat out to get sausage meat) and gf breadcrumbs. M&s do quite a few gf sausages. But I have also ordered m&s stuffing in my Xmas order (very expensive though). I struggle with gravy, partly because I'm also intolerant to msg and yeast extract as well, but Tesco always did a nice finest chicken gravy in their chilled section. I haven't seen it for ages but not sure if that's just my store or if they've stopped doing it.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

Tesco are doing a gluten/dairy free selection box and advent calendar. First time my granddaughter will have a selection box this Christmas.

If you read the back of packages in M&S you will find there are quite a lot of gluten free meals. We have to check every single item as we've got Coeliac Disease/Dairy/Egg allergies so it becomes a way of life.
Old 13 Nov 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Compared to even 5 years ago the selection of gluten free products is fantastic but I just wish they would bring the price down slightly.

My DH likes the Dime Bar Cake or Vienetta (in most supermarkets frozen aisle) and at a price that the whole family can eat. Tesco frozen profiteroles or the meringue roulades/pavlova are good but you have to watch as some sneak wheat in - from memory Sainsburys and M & S one's are normally ok. He didn't like the Tesco fresh or frozen cheescake but likes the M & S one. Lovemore or Tesco apple pies have been voted the best of the many he's tried and their bakewell tarts too. Some of the rest are hit and miss - he likes the M & S fruit cake but Sainsburys have good individual one's too, Tesco cake bars (angel, lemon etc) get a thumbs down as too dry but their actual victoria sandwich or chocolate cake (when they have them) get the thumbs up. Morrisons shortbread gets thumbs down but Asda Christmas Shortbread pack gets thumbs up. His mum is celiac too so if he gets something he's not keen on she tries it and vice versa as everyone's taste is different. M & S are bit more expensive but don't think he's ever had anything from there that he hasn't liked.

If you are on facebook you should join the page for "The gluten free blogger" or have a look at her website (the glutenfreeblogger.com) as she posts great information about new lines and lots of recent xmas items albeit frustrating if your local store doesn't stock the item.

Edited at 05:45 PM.
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List