Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Aug 15, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
oateyboy
Excited about Disney

NYC Viewpoints.

Now let me start by saying that heights aren't my strong point. It's weird really, I can't get on the roof of my house but I am ok with looking out the plane window. I am ok with tall buildings as long as getting up there doesn't involve outside lifts or glass floors etc.

My question is, does either Top of the Rock or Empire State Building have internal lifts. i.e. I don't see how high we are until I step out of the lift at the viewing deck.

Thanks guys
oateyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gavdon
slightly serious Dibber

Both of these have internal lifts.
gavdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by oateyboy View Post
Now let me start by saying that heights aren't my strong point. It's weird really, I can't get on the roof of my house but I am ok with looking out the plane window. I am ok with tall buildings as long as getting up there doesn't involve outside lifts or glass floors etc.

My question is, does either Top of the Rock or Empire State Building have internal lifts. i.e. I don't see how high we are until I step out of the lift at the viewing deck.

Thanks guys
I am so totally with you on this. I can't get up a step ladder but don't mind sitting by the window when flying.

I have a glass/no sides fear (for eg nearly had kittens when I went on the London eye and could never cross a rope bridge)

So next week I am doing - Statue of Liberty - pedestal, Empire State building, Top of the rock (twice day and night) my theory - It will either kill me or cure me
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
oateyboy
Excited about Disney

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks
oateyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by oateyboy View Post
Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Will do First up is this Saturday - Statue of Liberty
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumtotwo
slightly serious Dibber

Just to say I am with you on heights, love sitting by the window on the plane and looking down, put me on a ladder and no way!

To put your mind at rest, we were at the Empire State Building yesterday and loved it. Great views of the city of NY and beyond. Took loads of photos from 86th floor and felt completely safe. Fences all around and very secure but good vantage points to photo city. Took the free audio tour as well to listen to see what I was looking at. Would recommend without fear
Mumtotwo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mumtotwo View Post
Just to say I am with you on heights, love sitting by the window on the plane and looking down, put me on a ladder and no way!

To put your mind at rest, we were at the Empire State Building yesterday and loved it. Great views of the city of NY and beyond. Took loads of photos from 86th floor and felt completely safe. Fences all around and very secure but good vantage points to photo city. Took the free audio tour as well to listen to see what I was looking at. Would recommend without fear
Great We are doing Empire state building and TOTR later in the week.
Old 14 Aug 15, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mumtotwo
slightly serious Dibber

Yes we did TOTR last night and loved that as well. Hope you have a great time.
Mumtotwo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 15, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
techman47
slightly serious Dibber

We enjoyed the view from the Top of the Rock better than the one from the Empire State, because you can get the Empire State Building in your photos from the rock.
New York 09,11,14: Las Vegas 11,14,19: Washington DC 14, Atlanta 15,18, San Francisco 19, Rome 16,17.
techman47 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
familyofthree
Apprentice Imagineer

familyofthree's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

As others have said both TOTR and empire state have internal lifts and you don't see how high you are until you step on to the viewing area.

SOL if you are just doing the pedestal then it isn't very high, normal outside stairs to get to it. Going to the crown is another story, I would not recommend for anyone that is scared of heights or claustrophobic, very tight spiral open floor plated staircase all the way to the top!
Closed Thread