Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 16, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Flying into Miami - hotel help

We are flying into Miami and travelling to Orlando by hire care. We have flown into Miami before and stayed overnight at the airport hotel, which was awful. A lovely immigration person took pity on us and got us an upgrade at the hotel, but she still advised against staying there (she used to work there!)

So we'd like to stay somewhere else, but have two young children, so don't want to travel too far after the flight (because they will probably not sleep, we definitely won't sleep and we'll be shattered )

Looking for advice from anyone, but especially anyone who has done the journey with young kids. Our youngest will be the same age our oldest was last time we did it.

Thinking there are three options:

1) drive about half way and stay someone along the coast
2) drive about an hour away (which might not get us too far if Miami traffic is busy), but get out of the city if possible
3) stay at another airport hotel that's a bit nicer

I am erring towards staying at another hotel close to the airport, that runs shuttles. However, I've booked the car from when we land and clear immigration.

Wondering if most of the airport hotels you can get the car from or just best to go to the airport hotel and then one of us (me probably ) go and get the car the next day, leaving the other with the kids at the hotel, then pick them up.

If we go with option 1 or 2, can anyone recommend some nice hotels on route?

Not looking for luxury, just something that hasn't got 2 inch gaps under the door, adjoining rooms that house frat parties, tiny beds and mouldy bathrooms. I'm all for raising issues, but when you've already been upgraded and you're shattered after a flight with a crying baby, you don't want the hassle.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 16, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi

Had a look yesterday re another thread.

Hollywood is just north of North Miami Beach. It looks nice. It is also cheaper than Miami. I haven't stayed in this area although did North Miami Beach a couple of times years ago (and pre kids).
TA goes to end of June 2017 at the moment and one that looked good was Caribbean Resort by the Ocean. Low to mid £80s end of June.

Currently showing as 34 minutes without traffic on toll road, or 44 non toll. Its only after 7 on a Sunday so will be more congested later on.

Floridays from Caribbean Resort as an example is shown as just over 3 hours 217 miles on toll via Turnpike.

Edited at 12:29 PM.
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 16, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have a look at Villa Europa Hollywood Beach ..its fab right on beach we stay here every March when we fly into Miami for a few days before picking cruise up ...Dont let the 2 stars put you off Owner is now a friend . Other than that we have flown in and traveled up to Stuart ..think it was a Best Western with restaurant attached..Stayed at Jupiter also cant remember name of hotel .and if you want to travel a bit future last year we did MCO - Miami we drove to Sebastian ..Capt Hireons ... Great hotel loved it
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas,SF 12Miami,Sandy Ridge,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI,KeyWest 14 Memphis,New Orleans,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados,17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs,18 NewYork,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Vegas,LA& Hawaii 20 Arkansas
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

We are also flying via Miami as the flights were very cheap and I wanted a break between flight and driving to Orlando.

Booked at BW Windsor hill and Hampton inn at Hallandale on way and way back so will let you know what I think. Originally I had airport hotels but kids wanted to go to Miami beach so thought would get something a little nearer and also part of the journey up to Orlando.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 16, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
flippyflop
Excited about Disney

We are staying at the intercontinental at Doral. We will pick the car up at MIA, the hotel is about 10 mins drive from the airport by the looks of it. Free parking at hotel. Close to loads of places to eat for dinner/breakfast, & also a couple of malls if we feel up to it in the evening after checking in. I booked it at same time as our BA flydrive, but could do separately of course.

Florida 1997, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, April 2017, & December 2017 booked. With many more to come, we hope...
DLP 2002
flippyflop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 16, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsgiggs
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Watergirl View Post
We are flying into Miami and travelling to Orlando by hire care. We have flown into Miami before and stayed overnight at the airport hotel, which was awful. A lovely immigration person took pity on us and got us an upgrade at the hotel, but she still advised against staying there (she used to work there!)

So we'd like to stay somewhere else, but have two young children, so don't want to travel too far after the flight (because they will probably not sleep, we definitely won't sleep and we'll be shattered )

Looking for advice from anyone, but especially anyone who has done the journey with young kids. Our youngest will be the same age our oldest was last time we did it.

Thinking there are three options:

1) drive about half way and stay someone along the coast
2) drive about an hour away (which might not get us too far if Miami traffic is busy), but get out of the city if possible
3) stay at another airport hotel that's a bit nicer

I am erring towards staying at another hotel close to the airport, that runs shuttles. However, I've booked the car from when we land and clear immigration.

Wondering if most of the airport hotels you can get the car from or just best to go to the airport hotel and then one of us (me probably ) go and get the car the next day, leaving the other with the kids at the hotel, then pick them up.

If we go with option 1 or 2, can anyone recommend some nice hotels on route?

Not looking for luxury, just something that hasn't got 2 inch gaps under the door, adjoining rooms that house frat parties, tiny beds and mouldy bathrooms. I'm all for raising issues, but when you've already been upgraded and you're shattered after a flight with a crying baby, you don't want the hassle.
Can't help with hotel choice, we have the airport hotel booked for our arrival night, not picking car up till next day. How bad is the airport hotel, when was the last time you stayed there?
mrsgiggs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

We are flying into Miami next weekend and have booked the Comfort Suites Miami North. It is just near to the airport - about a 10 min drive from the car hire depot.

We got a suite with a king bed and sperate lounge area with sofa bed for around £80 which includes free hot breakfast. We have stayed in the same hotel in Tampa before and they are lovely hotels.

Young Pooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
poggs
Apprentice Imagineer

Do the same thing. (also with 2 kids) Mainly because reward flights are relatively easy to mia and rotten to orlando.

Anyway. I prefered to stay near the airport and get the car in the morning. My 2 favourite hotels are the Embassy suites

embassysuites3.hilton/en/...PES/index.html

and the homewood suites

homewoodsuites3.hilton/en...LHW/index.html

they are both within 2 miles of the airport and have a free shuttle. Also they both include managers reception nonsense in the evening so you get a free drink and nibbles on arrival. Then in the morning a free full buffet breakfast. Also both of these hotels are suites, so you get 2 doubles or queens in the bedroom and a full size sofa bed in the livingroom. both kids get their own bed. bliss.

Then in the mornig I catch the shuttle back to the car hire centre (the shuttle will drop you off there, not at the airport so thats nice and easy) and then drive up the road.

If you want to go an hour north, Id recommend the embassy suites at boca raton

embassysuites3.hilton/en/...WES/index.html

same rules regarding breakfast and rooms as miami airport. Its also just off the i95 so easy to find.

I prefer just staying at the airport. It saves a day carhire and its then earier to tootle up the us27 the next morning, (also saving $20 or so in tolls) outwith rush hour traffic and tired nippy kids

Edited at 04:21 PM.
poggs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 16, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsgiggs View Post
Can't help with hotel choice, we have the airport hotel booked for our arrival night, not picking car up till next day. How bad is the airport hotel, when was the last time you stayed there?
That's a shame that the OP had a bad experience at the MIA Hotel We've stayed there a few times and never had any issues. The rooms we had were clean and comfortable, we had the choice of breakfast in the morning, it started at 6.30am. Very handy for picking up the hire car. I think you'll be fine for the night.
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Thanks so much everyone for the helpful comments and hotel recommendations. Agree that reward flights into Orlando are hard, but managed to change them from Miami to Tampa, which we actually prefer to Orlando anyway. Means we can do BG and all the other things that we like in the area before travelling over to Orlando.

Mrsgiggs - wouldn't be so bad without kids. When we bumped into the immigration lady who had fast tracked us through immigration due to crying child and me feeling faint, she said 'oh. You're staying here,' like it was the worst thing ever. The room was meant to be one of the better ones so not sure what the basic ones are like. Having said that, I'd still stay there as a couple for just an overnighter, no problem.

So I wouldn't worry too much. Thanks again all xx

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread