Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jan 20, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
supermumof3
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Thank you everyone! That’s really useful. I’ve been checking and checking and I can get flights late into November into early Dec, I’ve never been that late in the year and a little worried over thanksgiving but Xmas might be nice?
Late November/early December is a great time to go...if you go after thanksgiving it's usually quieter... much more manageable than October & later in December. You can't guarantee the weather...we've been twice at that time of year - the first time it was lovely...still wearing shorts during the day just needed fleeces/jackets as the sun went down...the second time it was really cold with lots of early morning fog ...long pants, boots/trainers & jumpers all day long! However seeing all the festive decorations & low crowds definitely made it worth our while.
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you! We’ve always booked as far out as we can too - I couldn’t do such short notice. They seem to have a lot in November and Dec so I’m tempted! But then I can’t book the accommodation until March 🙈 eek. Thank you for the hugs. 💕
If as people are saying they tend to sell out, would it be worth booking them now and then come March, change them if you need to or cancel them. I think I read it is £30pp amendment or cancel fee and you get the miles back if cancelled.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

... not to bite at people who are rude for the sake of it. But the “family conference” part got to me. My son is disabled and almost completely non verbal so I would love the ability to have a “family conference” with every member of my crew but sadly that will not be my reality.
Hello,

Firstly apologies if I upset you it wasn't my intention, I was passing on what is commonly accepted as the "rules of engagement" for booking reward flights.

I had no idea that you had booked reward flights many times before, and I also had no idea that you had to deal with the additional complexities of booking that you have (I've re-written this sentence countless times trying bit to offend).

I think you might have over reacted a little in your response to me, I certainly didn't deserve the virtual flogging you decided to give me.

Anyway I hope you get the flights you want and have a good trip, I'll retreat gracefully now...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
If as people are saying they tend to sell out, would it be worth booking them now and then come March, change them if you need to or cancel them. I think I read it is £30pp amendment or cancel fee and you get the miles back if cancelled.
Thanks - that’s useful to know! I wasn’t aware of the fee. I think I’ll bite the bullet and book them - this way we have something to focus on.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Sending you and Nadya some virtual hugs...
I've just booked cash tickets with BA because I've been searching Virgin since the 331 day mark for our trip in October with no joy at all.
We wanted Gatwick - MCO but have settled on Gatwick - Tampa with a Chevy Cruze rental.
From 20th Oct to 12th November direct both ways for the two of us was cost £1354
Hope someone finds this useful
Thank you! I’ll have another look tomorrow on alternative routes too Tampa may be a good opinion also.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Sussex Bantam
Trading Disney Pins

I can give you some facts on BA - I don't know the Virgin scheme as well.

BA release award seats 355 days ahead at midnight GMT (so 1am BST). They guarantee to release 4 economy seats and 2 business class seats on every flight. For popular routes it is wise to be on-line at this time to book them as they often go straight away.

BA do release additional seats beyond this minimum - there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to the timing of this but I would be surprised to see many to MCO/TPA. Miami on the other hand seems to get quite a few.

Morale of the story is that you very much need to book 355 days out if you want to get flights on a specific date to a popular destination.
Sussex Bantam is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Just to add late november/early December was a lovely time to go,not as hot as I would like (around 80 degrees but obviously variable)but the boys preferred it tbh,lots going on but we found it pretty quiet going very end of november after Thanksgiving into early december,think we got back maybe the 11th?
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Just to add late november/early December was a lovely time to go,not as hot as I would like (around 80 degrees but obviously variable)but the boys preferred it tbh,lots going on but we found it pretty quiet going very end of november after Thanksgiving into early december,think we got back maybe the 11th?
Ah that’s interesting as the flights I’ve found also land on the 11th! X
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
I second this, we went last month, landing in Orlando on the 30th November, whilst a couple of evenings were definitely chilly, I'd definitely go again then, low crowds (apart from DHS from the 5th when RPTR opened, but easy to avoid that park).

We really felt that we had all the benefits of going at Christmas time with none of the drawbacks.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I second this, we went last month, landing in Orlando on the 30th November, whilst a couple of evenings were definitely chilly, I'd definitely go again then, low crowds (apart from DHS from the 5th when RPTR opened, but easy to avoid that park).

We really felt that we had all the benefits of going at Christmas time with none of the drawbacks.

Thank you! So our options are narrowed to this:

MAN-MCO 15 nights - Late Nov out back early Dec.

Pros: direct from Man, familiar airport, it’s Xmas, we can go for a day longer.

Cons: longer to wait, can’t book accommodation yet, it might be cold, I’d miss the music 😂, thanksgiving, might be rubbish weather in uk affecting flights. Packing might be a headache.

OCTOBER LGW - MCO - DIRECT 13 nights

pros: it’s Halloween which we love, warmer, sooner, can book accommodation, UK weather more predictable weather in USA more predictable. It’s when our daughter really wants to go to MNSSHP.

Cons it’s about 6hr drive to London, we’d need to stay night before travel and night we land, it’s less nights, busier.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL