Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
harryhaflinger
Excited about Disney

harryhaflinger's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Taking mainly cash

Hi there i'm taking mostly cash with me with credit card as emergency back up. My question is what's the best denominations to buy US dollars in, mainly large amounts and then change them up as you go along or more of a mix with plenty of small notes ie $5 dollar bills which are easier for tolls and tipping etc. What do most people use as last time I went back in 2007 I used a lot of travellers cheques but they seem to have gone out of fashion. Many thanks
harryhaflinger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are the same as you. Cash for dining out, gas and most Walmart/Publix trips. CC for the likes of Macy's and B&BW purchases.

We always use John Lewis as they regularly seem to best of the High Street rates. They always come in a nice mix of $50 down to $1. You can also collect at Waitrose.

When you need topping up go to a Wawa gas station (new since 2007 - but loads of them around) and use their free ATMs. They always dish out in $20.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We also take mostly cash and I always ensure I have lots of various note sizes so I don't have to hang around waiting for the servers to collect my money once I have the bill and then further wait for them to bring me change. I admit I do sound grumpy, but once I've eaten I want to get out of the restaurant asap.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
buzzbuzz
VIP Dibber

Hi, we tend to use cash as well, and as Mick said above, John Lewis tend to have good rates and send the cash through in a nice mix of notes (usually! ) We have just collected ours from Waitrose and again, a good mix of 50's, 20's 10's and 5's. We use cash for dining and supermarkets etc and then the Halifax Clarity CC for clothes and other slightly larger purchases.
buzzbuzz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
We also take mostly cash and I always ensure I have lots of various note sizes so I don't have to hang around waiting for the servers to collect my money once I have the bill and then further wait for them to bring me change. I admit I do sound grumpy, but once I've eaten I want to get out of the restaurant asap.
Just like us really. If a meal including tip is say $58.74 I like to leave three twenties in the folder. I do like to thrust the folder into the server's hand though as I like to know that it hasn't been nicked off the table.

And just like you Mickey I am still capable of making a decision that cash is best for us.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Just one word of advice double check your insurance, most companies wil only cover you for so much cash
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Just one word of advice double check your insurance, most companies wil only cover you for so much cash
Indeed. We take just under the "per person" insurance limit and then visit Wawa when we need more. We pass one maybe 4 times a day so it's not out of our way.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Personally I don't like taking anything above a $50 note .

Usually carry a couple of hundred dollars in my wallet if there are four of us and then a credit card
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
We know from years of experience that our average expenditure for two for breakfast and dinner is around $100 per day.

We have two envelopes in the safe. One is the original starting amount and the other becomes a kitty. At the end of the day whatever is left over from the $100 goes in the kitty. After a few days the kitty has grown enough for a moderate supermarket shop. Then a bit later in the holiday enough for $30 of gas.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

I only ever travel with cash. Fifty dollar bills maximum with a few smaller denominations in the wallet.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List