Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Going on holiday with other families/people?

Next year I believe we will all start getting back to some normality, so would you go on holiday with other familes or friends.

I would only ever want to go on holiday with my immediate family and would never share a villa (no matter how big) with another family or friends. I met some friends in Florida December before last and had a starbucks at Disney springs with them, a couple of years prior we met some friends at universal and also had a Starbucks with them and that was perfect.

If I was offered a free holiday sharing a villa with another family then I would politely decline it because I just wouldn't enjoy it.

I should stress that I don't think it's the wrong thing to do going on holiday with friends and family, but it's just not for me.

Do others agree with me or would you enjoy going on holidays with other family/friends?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It’s funny yoU should post this as Essexsue was just telling me that she was thinking of inviting you to stay as her posh villa for 3 weeks FOC with her and Dave. Guess she won’t now
She did say that she would double lock her bedroom door each night
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It’s funny yoU should post this as Essexsue was just telling me that she was thinking of inviting you to stay as her posh villa for 3 weeks FOC with her and Dave. Guess she won’t now
She did say that she would double lock her bedroom door each night
Auntie Sue's villa looks lovely but even if she seriously offered me to stay there free of charge with her and hubby I would decline (even if Sue was a really nice person). I think it's even worse if you are staying somewhere where the person owns the holiday home rather than you both chipping in to rent it.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Auntie Sue's villa looks lovely but even if she seriously offered me to stay there free of charge with her and hubby I would decline (even if Sue was a really nice person). I think it's even worse if you are staying somewhere where the person owns the holiday home rather than you both chipping in to rent it.
She is going to be really upset to read this, she will be drowning her sorrows
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

My sister came with us once to Florida in our usual villa, she's not the easiest person to get on with either.
We kept falling out throughout the 2 weeks because she's such a selfish person, it ruined our holiday.
So no never again.
It depends on who it is though I suppose.
My nephew and his wife are brilliant to holiday with, but there's only 10 years between us in age, maybe that makes a difference 🤔
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
My sister came with us once to Florida in our usual villa, she's not the easiest person to get on with either.
We kept falling out throughout the 2 weeks because she's such a selfish person, it ruined our holiday.
So no never again.
It depends on who it is though I suppose.
My nephew and his wife are brilliant to holiday with, but there's only 10 years between us in age, maybe that makes a difference 🤔
Sorry about your grumpy sister ruining your holiday. We took a young family member to Florida many years ago (not immediate family) and I will just say it wasn't a good idea and I wouldn't ever consider it again.
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am with you, Mr House.

Our first, 2005 vacation was with another family (separate resorts Movies and Pop, but we met up each day). We had no car and it was mainly Disney based. Their children were a different age to ours and we therefore had different priorities. It was the end of a friendship .. (and they divorced each other a year later).

Around 2011 , we ventured again with a couple that had no children of their own at the time. Separate resorts on IDrive and in LBV Marriott, but met up every day. I had a car and they did not. It went ok, but their time keeping was shocking. Our last day in Florida was their first in Magic Kingdom. They were an hour late, did it in 2 hours and the lady concerned observed that she didn’t like ‘cheesy’, didn’t like the heat and didn’t like queuing. I think that maybe she should have done more research. We remain very close friends and they now have a daughter.. but we would never vacation with them again.

Third time was same time, same flights, different resorts and we met up every now and then. This worked pretty well. They divorced a few years later. It would seem that the Husband would sooner have taken his secret mistress. I wondered why he seemed a little grumpy.

Fourth time, I booked Pensacola in and Daytona out. Clearly there would be a lot of driving involved! I told a very good friend who seemed interested in detail. Next morning, she solemnly declared that they were coming with us (without even knowing what the itinerary was as there wasn’t one and without having been invited). Her husband is a retired Fleet Air Arm Observer and Pensacola sold it to him. The planning went great. They were happy to just be coming along. This one went really well.

So the answer is maybe.. but with reservations.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am with you, Mr House.

Our first, 2005 vacation was with another family (separate resorts Movies and Pop, but we met up each day). We had no car and it was mainly Disney based. Their children were a different age to ours and we therefore had different priorities. It was the end of a friendship .. (and they divorced each other a year later).

Around 2011 , we ventured again with a couple that had no children of their own at the time. Separate resorts on IDrive and in LBV Marriott, but met up every day. I had a car and they did not. It went ok, but their time keeping was shocking. Our last day in Florida was their first in Magic Kingdom. They were an hour late, did it in 2 hours and the lady concerned observed that she didn’t like ‘cheesy’, didn’t like the heat and didn’t like queuing. I think that maybe she should have done more research. We remain very close friends and they now have a daughter.. but we would never vacation with them again.

Third time was same time, same flights, different resorts and we met up every now and then. This worked pretty well. They divorced a few years later. It would seem that the Husband would sooner have taken his secret mistress. I wondered why he seemed a little grumpy.

Fourth time, I booked Pensacola in and Daytona out. Clearly there would be a lot of driving involved! I told a very good friend who seemed interested in detail. Next morning, she solemnly declared that they were coming with us (without even knowing what the itinerary was as there wasn’t one). Her husband is a retire Fleet Air Arm Observer and Pensacola sold it to him. The planning went great. They were happy to just be coming along. This one went really well.

So the answer is maybe.. but with reservations.
Two families who went on holiday with you divorced shortly after, now that doesn't sound too good

After your experiences I'm surprised you would even consider going on holiday again with other familes
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We shared a villa with family last year and it was absolutely fine. If we needed our own space it was big enough to give us that. It was a full on family holiday though with in laws and 4 nephews so was a great experience.
We have also gone with other family but they have stayed in a villa and us in a hotel. That worked as well. And with friends. It may be slightly frayed towards then end of the holiday but nothing worth falling out over.
Maybe we are just very easy going.
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No.

One word that is a Dibb legend - Brangelina!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List