Notices

Old 13 Jul 15, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Is there anything left open (August 2015)?

Is there anything left open (August 2015)?

As we close in on our Holiday I have finally had time to put this together. It was not my plan to be late, but later is better than never but if my wife is reading this "better late than never" does not refer to the amount of time getting ready...

After scrimping and scraping around we have finally been able to afford to go on the holiday that we want.

The Cast:

Me - Very Proud Yorkshire man. Young at Heart. the one who has had to slave to pay for this. Also the one who is most likely to stress up over people who dawdle (we don't have time for that in our plans) and the one most likely to get drunk.

Helen - My lovely wife. Lover of the most expensive thing in any catalogue, Pandora collector, Tinker Bell, Hello Kitty and Minnie lover. Easily distracted by anything that is sparkly.

Ryan - Our son. Generally very well behaved (unless tired). Gamer. We will have had to prise the controller out of his hand before getting him on the plane. Takes most things in his stride but he doesn't like beans or any other veg for that matter.

we have bought a new camera for this trip - our first bridge camera, so if I can be bothered to hold it we should have some good pictures. if not it is back to my pocket compact or a very wordy trip report.

However I have no more photos for this initial report - so onto lots of words that will help you sleep...

We have planned a 17 Night Trip consisting of 3 Nights at the Hard Rock Hotel to do Universal before heading down to Saratoga Springs and into a 1 bed villa for 14 Nights including the dining plan.

We fly Thomas Cook out of Manchester. A first for us as we usually fly Virgin, but the cost difference has almost paid for the hotels!

The title of this report is from what seems the almost weekly reports of another attraction closing before we get there, and nothing really new opening this year, most of the new things coming next year.

For instance: maelstrom, liberty tree, pirates of the Caribbean, magic of Disney, twister, backlot tour, legend of Jack Sparrow etc. All of these were still open when we started planning / Booking!

The planning so far...

Tues 11th August 2015

After I have finished work, Tea then a drive to Manchester with no stress and into the Radisson Blu for 1 night. Car parked on site so we can dump any dirty clothes the next morning.
The idea of this is so we don't have to get up at an unearthly hour and then sit in the car waiting for Helen to get ready. Then rush to Manchester. Anyone who drives on the M62/M60 will know what I mean.

Wed 12th August 2015

Get Up, Check in then breakfast at hotel. Quick stroll around duty free then fly on time (hopefully)

Theme Park - Universal Studios to hopefully ride Gringotts in the evening
Dining Reservations - None, but probably end up in Hard Rock
Attraction Reservations - None (but got front of line pass by staying at Hard Rock Hotel)

Thursday 13th August 2015

Theme Park - Universal Studios or IOA but early morning entry
Dining Reservations - None but Jimmy Buffets would be nice
Attraction Reservations - None (but got front of line pass by staying at Hard Rock Hotel)

Friday 14th August 2015

Theme Park - The opposite to previous day
Dining Reservations -

Saturday 15th August 2015

Theme Park - Morning - nip into Universal Studios or IOA to do whatever we want to do again
Then a taxi to Saratoga just after lunch time and hopefully get an early check in, if not then we will nip over to Downtown Disney to kill any time we have.
Evening - Hollywood Studios
Dining Reservations - None - but going to Downtown Disney at late afternoon / early evening if we can't check in at Saratoga (check in time 4.00pm) if we do manage to get an early check in (we should arrive about 2ish) then we will get ready and go to Boardwalk
Attraction Reservations - 6.15 Toy Story, 7.15 Tower of Terror

Sunday 16th August 2015

Late get up and have a good lie in, unpack properly and maybe chill around the pool and resort before setting off to either the contemporary or Grand Floridian so Helen can have her hair done
Theme Park - Magic Kingdom
Dining Reservations - Cinderella's Castle 4.25pm
Attraction Reservations - 2.30 Big Thunder Mountain, 5.40 Anna & Elsa, 6.45 Dwarf Mine Train

Monday 17th August 2015

Theme Park - Animal Kingdom
Dining Reservations - O'hanas 8.30pm
Attraction Reservations - 9.05 Expedition Everest, 10.20 Kilamanjaro Safari, 12.30 Lion King Show

Tuesday 18th August 2015

Plan to finish off what we have not done at Hollywood Studios but leave mid afternoon, get a shower and then catch a taxi up to I-Drive and probably play mini golf and go in Dave and Busters etc.
Theme Park - Hollywood Studios
Dining Reservations - None but probably Bahama Breeze on I-Drive in evening
Attraction Reservations - 9.30 Tower of Terror, 10.30 Toy Story, 12.00 Indiana Jones

Wednesday 19th August 2015

Finally time to start my assault on drinking around the world. in park early and do front of park then onto world showcase as soon as it opens.
Theme Park - Epcot
Dining Reservations - Nine Dragons 6pm
Attraction Reservations - 9.05 Test Track, 10.25 Mission Space, 12.50 Mickey and Pals Greet (although doubtful we will do this)

Thursday 20th August 2015

A full but easy day today. Animal Kingdom am to do what we have not done then Helen goes back to the villa while me and Ryan catch the bus to the Dolphin to pick up a hire car for a few days. After picking up the car we will have a game of mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens before going back.
The evening will be a first ever trip for us to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Whispering Canyon. If we have time we will go to the Magic Kingdom by bus and then catch the boat to Wilderness.
Theme Park - Animal Kingdom (am)
Dining Reservations - Whispering Canyon 7.40
Attraction Reservations - 9.05 Its tough to be a bug, 10.10 Expedition Everest, 11.10 Disney Pals Outpost Greet

Friday 21st August 2015

We initially planned to have breakfast at Crystal Palace this morning and into the park early, but we were too slow with the reservations so that threw that plan out of the window. Instead we decided to have breakfast at Saratoga and an early reservation for Be Our Guest. We will drive up to MK and get in as early as possible, but then leave after our dinner to have a look / shop around I-Drive while we still have the car.
Back to the resort to get changed then over to Downtown Disney for Tea at House of Blues (no reservation although I do think we may need one...)
Dining Reservations - Be our Guest 11.15am
Attraction Reservations - 9.15 Splash Mountain, 10.15 Space Mountain, 12.05 Under the Sea (Little Mermaid)

Saturday 22nd August 2015

Big shopping day. Driving up to the Contemporary for an early big breakfast with the crew at Chef Mickey's. Not a rushed breakfast as we will take our time and have a look around the resort before setting off on a days shopping.
My choice is the premium outlet mall for the Nike shop (trainers) and Calvin Klein (jeans) + maybe a shirt. Helens choice is the Florida Mall and/or Mall at Millennia. We may end up doing all three.
When we have spent up we will go back and get changed for an evening at the Boardwalk, eating at Big River Grille. A chilled out evening.
Theme Park - None
Dining Reservations - Chef Mickey's 7.35am
Attraction Reservations - Not applicable!

Sunday 23rd August 2015

After a day of getting dragged around the shops, today is a day for me. The plan is to have breakfast at Saratoga then over to Epcot but not too early. We have to drop off the car at the Dolphin so will enter from the International Gateway.
Hopefully ride Test Track and Soarin as well as maybe figment and Nemo etc. Then once the world showcase opens it will be drinking around the world...
Obviously I will let Ryan get a passport stamped or colour a bear or maybe even Agent P. I on the other hand will be thinking about tequila and red wine etc.
Hopefully I am still sober enough for a meal at Teppan Edo after the no doubt assault on my credit card in the shop below while I am still drunk. (hello kitty and pokemon/mario/sonic goods galore no doubt). Maybe stop for Reflections of Earth if I am still conscious.
Theme Park - Epcot
Dining Reservations - Teppan Edo 7.10pm
Attraction Reservations - 9.40 Nemo, 11.10 Soarin, 2.00 Mission Space

Monday 24th August 2015

Hopefully I am getting a lie in this morning to sleep all the excess of yesterday off. Breakfast at Saratoga followed by a leisurely morning at Downtown Disney or around the pool. Helen has an hair appointment booked at the Grand Floridian for 1.00pm, so me and Ryan may have a blast on the boats or into the arcade while we are waiting. Once all this has been done it will be into the Magic Kingdom for a few hours.
Leaving the MK we will catch the resort monorail or maybe the boat as we have a reservation at O'hanas at 8.20pm. No doubt this will include a drink (lapu lapu?) at the bar as I don't think we will get into Trader Sams. After the meal I hope the weather is ok for us to get another cocktail and sit on the beach and watch wishes from there before a taxi back to Saratoga.
Dining Reservations - O'hanas
Attraction Reservations - 2.40 Tinker Bell Meet, 3.40 Peter Pan, 4.40 Under the Sea (Little Mermaid)

Tuesday 25th August 2015

A break from Disney. After breakfast at Saratoga we will go and book a taxi to Seaworld. We will no doubt have to explain to the cast members who will say why are you leaving Disney etc. No advance tickets as we are only going for today and we worked out it was cheaper on the gate. Ryan is too small for Manta and Kraken, but we will get him on Journey to Atlantis before looking at a few fish.
Taxi back to Saratoga, quick (? ) change then Downtown Disney, probably eating at Rainforest Cafe depending on how we feel. We have not booked but we do have a Landrys card from a previous trip so we shouldn't have to wait too long even if it is full (it shouldn't be though on a Tuesday night)
Theme Park - Seaworld
Dining Reservations - None, but maybe Rainforest Cafe
Attraction Reservations - N/A

Wednesday 26th August 2015

Saratoga for breakfast then another assault on Epcot!
Try and do what we have not already done, and hopefully have a chilled out day around world showcase. Meal booked at Biergarten where we have never been so looking forward to that as well. Planning an early start and finish today.
Theme Park - Epcot
Dining Reservations - Biergarten 5.50pm
Attraction Reservations - 9.00 Test Track, 10.00 Spaceship Earth, 11.25 Mission Space

Thursday 27th August 2015

After the early finish yesterday, we will (should or need to) be up early as we have a reservation at Crystal Palace for 8.25am. Yes we are aiming to be one of the first few in the park and get *that* photo of the castle with no-one there. Time will tell on that one. Spend Morning in Magic Kingdom before we have to leave at around 12ish for Helens last hair appointment in the Grand Floridian. No plans on what to do after that though. Might have lunch in the GF then decide.
Theme Park - Magic Kingdom (AM)
Dining Reservations - Crystal Palace 8.25am
Attraction Reservations - 9.20 Mickey Mouse Town Square Theatre, 10.20 Enchanted Tales with Belle, 11.30 Dumbo

Friday 28th August 2015

Theme Park - To be decided on what we want to do again (hopefully)
Dining Reservations - None, but Paradiso is a possibility
Attraction Reservations - To be decided

Saturday 29th August 2015

Theme Park - Probably Downtown Disney for last minute shopping.
Dining Reservations - None
Attraction Reservations - None

So there you have it (for anyone still reading this)

there are a couple of fastpasses that we don't actually want, but I couldn't find a way of only booking 2, so just tried to make the most of it.
2017 - The hunt for Baymax August 2017 - Pre-trip
miamivice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post

enjoy you will need a holiday after that lot but you being a yorkshire man wants his moneys worth lol have a great time
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
adrian-sara
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Plans sound great! I know what you mean about things shutting tho. Never did Art of Animation the last 2 trips and now it is closing 😞

Never mind. More new stuff to justify a return trip, of course! Enjoy drinking round the world!

Sara
2010 Emerald Island villa; 2013 Indian Ridge villa; 2015 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2017 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2018 The Pillars, Ft Lauderdale, Hard Rock Hotel and Port Orleans Riverside; 2019 Sapphire Falls
adrian-sara is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are at the Raddison on the same night as you look out for a fat stressed bloke and that will be me. Also staying at SSR

Have a great trip...
Old 13 Jul 15, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies, we always feel like we need a holiday when we get back - Usually one back in Florida!

It's not nice when you don't get chance to have one last ride on your favourites etc. we are hoping to ride everything else just in case.

Deano, i will look out for you if not at Manchester, then at Saratoga.
miamivice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 15, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch in time
Getting Excited

Hiya Darren, loving the pre-trip report, Helen gave me heads up on it. I cannot wait to read your full trip report. I'm so excited about your trip I feel like it's me going!
I'm sure you will make full use of your new camera it's a beauty.
Not long now xx
Stitch in time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

An update -

we have decided to book at Crossroads (House of Blues) - part of the issue previously was that we couldn't book. I believe HoB only accepts booking about a month before, not 90 days as most other restaurants do.

we have booked for 7.45pm, giving us enough time to get back from I-Drive.

We have also checked in at the hotel. We have requested a room as near to the Artists Palette as possible so we don't tire ourselves out walking to breakfast and back. We will need our energy for the parks!

Also found out today that the Mickey Celebration in front of the castle is closed until 19th August. A bit disappointing as i know this will mean more walls as they carry out maintenance work. i was hoping for a really good photo of the castle without any construction work.

We have also been out the last day or so buying all of the necessities such as shower gel, new clothes etc. I think we are nearly there, just need to start packing.
Old 26 Jul 15, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Great start look forward to reading more

Where did you find out about the building work still going on in MK. Our first day in Orlando (19th Aug) is planned for MK but if work is delayed I may just jiggle the days around - I hope it will be done cos I was having a brain drain doing the fastpasses
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Thanks

The information about the ramps etc was from here. Not this exact post but this does mention them.

Orlando parks news

I had read that the hub would be complete for when we go - didn't realise they would revamp the castle ramps as well.

For both our sakes i hope they are all finished and away for when we get there!
Old 26 Jul 15, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great pre- trippie. Your holiday sounds amazing, really hope you have a wonderful time x
Twinklestar1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List