Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Dec 16, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Flying via Montreal

We've just booked for next year and this time are going via Montreal with Air Canada. Just for a change, and because we got a decent price on PE

This is the first time we've gone via Canada though so I wondered if anyone knew the procedure for getting from one plane to the next. Do we do security in Montreal as well as Orlando?

Anyone got any experience/tips for Montreal?

Thanks
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 16, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Montreal is an easy airport so you will have no problems.

Just bear in mind that AC PE is not a patch on Virgin or TC its more like slidely wider exit seats - its not great and often very similar in price to ECO.

If you haven't booked (or can change) I wouldn't be going via Montreal just to get AC PE
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 16, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Don't forget you need to do your Canadian ETA (like the Esta).

Montreal is hit and miss. From memory there is a separate queue for transfer passengers to USA. If you do a search on this sub forun there were some posts about this route in the summer.

AC are ok - nothing special. And the food is very hit and miss!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 16, 03:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Carole View Post
We've just booked for next year and this time are going via Montreal with Air Canada. Just for a change, and because we got a decent price on PE

This is the first time we've gone via Canada though so I wondered if anyone knew the procedure for getting from one plane to the next. Do we do security in Montreal as well as Orlando?

Anyone got any experience/tips for Montreal?

Thanks
Do you know what aircraft type your flight is scheduled to use Carole? Depending on type their PE isn't bad, circa 20" of width and 37" of pitch. You can check AC's aircraft via SeatGuru - seatguru/airlines/Ai...nformation.php

$7pp for eTA - site; cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 16, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Thanks for the info

We'd already checked out SeatGuru before booking. We're on a 777-300 for the long haul flights and we'll be in business class on the short hops in an A319. Priority security, check in and boarding in Orlando so it's worth the extra few quid just for that

We've flown with Air Canada before and rather like them.

I've got the ETA on my To Do list but thanks for the reminder. I don't think that was in force last time we went to Canada.

I shall look for those other threads.
2007 - BCV, AKV
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 16, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Have used AC a lot Carole, and have gone through Montreal lots of times. A small airport compared to Heathrow or Gatwick. Very easy to navigate. Maybe just luck, but lines for security were good and no problems there at all. If you have flown AC before you know about the planes, and if you are in business class on the little hops you wont be squashed in on what may be a Rouge flight? May not be as some are not, and I believe Rouge do not have BC. We do PE but really only because I have back issues so more comfy for me. Going through Montreal in January again. Dont think you will have any issues at all. I know another dibber went through Montreal maybe in October, and the flight was delayed, due to something being wrong with the plane, but being realistic that could happen with any airline and was nothing to do with Montreal itself. I believe AC held back the connecting plane for them or something, which most airlines would not do. Will see if I can find the post... Just found it:

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=961278

The post is at the end of the thread.

You will clear US immigration in Montreal, a lot of DIY, but there are staff on hand to help and its easy to follow if you take your time. You wont collect your bags, then upon arrival at MCO no checks, just pick up your bags and off you go.

Edited at 02:06 AM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 16, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Montreal is a fairly small airport, by our standards in the uk .
Connection signs are easy.
We are in Canada at the moment and Air Canada did ask for our Eta printouts, so that's a quick heads up.
We have come up from the USA this time.
Montreal airport hadn't got much to do so if your layover is long I would load up a tablet with some stuff to watch.
One other thing is food there absolutely extorniate as long as you don't have meat/ fruit/dairy I would bring some crisps and or snacks from home.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 16, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Have used AC a lot Carole, and have gone through Montreal lots of times. A small airport compared to Heathrow or Gatwick. Very easy to navigate. Maybe just luck, but lines for security were good and no problems there at all. If you have flown AC before you know about the planes, and if you are in business class on the little hops you wont be squashed in on what may be a Rouge flight? May not be as some are not, and I believe Rouge do not have BC. We do PE but really only because I have back issues so more comfy for me.
It is a Rouge flight. Apparently they don't have PE so that's why we're in business class. Glad we're not in standard Rouge seats. They look very cramped.
The main reason for us doing PE is that we're both feeling our age and have back and leg issues. Comfy seats and leg room are needed

You will clear US immigration in Montreal, a lot of DIY, but there are staff on hand to help and its easy to follow if you take your time. You wont collect your bags, then upon arrival at MCO no checks, just pick up your bags and off you go.
Brilliant. That's exactly what we needed to know. Thanks!
2007 - BCV, AKV
Old 15 Dec 16, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Montreal is a fairly small airport, by our standards in the uk .
Connection signs are easy.
We are in Canada at the moment and Air Canada did ask for our Eta printouts, so that's a quick heads up.
We have come up from the USA this time.
Montreal airport hadn't got much to do so if your layover is long I would load up a tablet with some stuff to watch.
One other thing is food there absolutely extorniate as long as you don't have meat/ fruit/dairy I would bring some crisps and or snacks from home.
I usually print out the Estas so probably would have printed the Etas too. Thanks for the heads up though. Always good to know.

We don't have long layovers but I always have plenty of entertainment on me - kindle, spare book, puzzle books, laptop, phone etc

I'll take snacks though. Just in case. Ta for the info!
2007 - BCV, AKV
Old 15 Dec 16, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Carole View Post
It is a Rouge flight. Apparently they don't have PE so that's why we're in business class. Glad we're not in standard Rouge seats. They look very cramped.
The main reason for us doing PE is that we're both feeling our age and have back and leg issues. Comfy seats and leg room are needed

Brilliant. That's exactly what we needed to know. Thanks!
I think you will be fine going through Montreal. Its all very easy. Yes Rouge is very cramped and have done it a few times, in economy. Good thing is its just a short hop. Would not like to do it long haul, although we did on a flight with Monarch from Newcastle a few years ago. That was very tight for room. We find the IFE great on the ipad. Enough choice. Anything else I can help with just ask. Hope it goes ok

Edited at 11:32 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread