Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Feb 16, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2anddone
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Hi my dc have also saved their own money and are excited about spending it! They will have between $300-$400 when we go. I am changing it all into dollars and keeping it in an envelope with each of their names on in the safe. We are staying onsite so will be using the magic band to charge to our room. I am then intending to keep a copy of the receipt during the day and then the children can take their cash to reception every couple of days to 'pay off' what they have spent.
When we go to the malls I will take them about $50 each any over that will go on my cash card and they can pay me back when we get back to our hotel.
It's our first trip to WDW but this worked well at DLP any left over dollars will go back in their money box for future trips or their uncle will buy them off of them as he travels to USA a lot on business.
Am also so proud of them for saving so hard
2anddone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sunaddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RoseMarie View Post
Thanks for your replies so far. Yes the bad exchange rate is part of our concerns. Also We really want girls to feel it's their money and that they are paying for things. Just seem so too much to take in cash on the journey. I would separate into day spends but our insurance only covers £300 each in cash I think. We've talked about putting the money on our cash card and drawing out $200 each when we get there to separate for first week and then drawing out more as they need it but worried about keeping track of their money on our cards. Plus they won't feel as in control. Wish they could have their own cash cards.
I'd check the limit for childrens cash. Often it's only around £50 for under 16s.
sunaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Ok still not them being able to be independent.

It must seem like I'm being strange about wanting them to feel in control of their money. It's just they have been so responsible in saving and selling their old toys etc that I feel they deserve to feel that it's their money they are spending not having me sign for it or pay by my card etc
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh will recheck insurance for under16s thanks for that tip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Susanjane
slightly serious Dibber

Just a thought with the friends and family card, do you have to say who they're for? We've never used them so don't know how they work.

Just wondered if you could just ask for two extra without having to say that they're for under 14's?

Susan
Orlando 1997, Necker Island 1997, Orlando 2002 & 2004, Fort Lauderdale 2006, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando 2007, Orlando 2009, California and San Francisco 2012, Orlando 2013, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale 2015, New York 2016, Orlando 2016, Orlando 2017, Orlando and New York 2018, Orlando 2018 (again), Orlando 2019 x 2
Susanjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Diznee
Proud to wear my Ears

Have you seen these new gohenry cards?

gohenry/v2-homepage/

Not sure if there is a charge for overseas use but it says they can be used abroad.
Diznee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

For what you are trying to achieve, I'd probably do Travellers cheques. I'm pretty sure you would have to sign them (if memory serves, I was 16 before I used a TC independently) but is that really a major problem? They still choose exactly what they spend their money on, and at 10 and 11 would they often be going to the till completely alone anyway? Would it be a problem if they couldn't?

I wouldn't do daily spends, personally. They have already worked hard to save their cash, so why should they be limited on a given day, or have to wait for a few days to pass before spending on bigger items.

The only alternative is a separate prepaid card in your name (rather than a friends and family card) but you would almost certainly have to be present for the transaction - much as with TCs.

I guess I don't see any of the options where you are the one making the payment from pre-segregated funds - whether they be TCs or a separate prepaid card, as I don't see a problem in accompanying them to pay. It's not controlling their money for them if you simply complete the transaction.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok so my son was 8 when we went last year and we wanted him to be responsible for his spending. We got a family and friends card through Fairfx but in my DH's name and loaded it with the money DS had saved.

Each time DS wanted to use it, we could check the app as to how much was left on the card and it was just a case of DH signing for the transaction
Old 28 Feb 16, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

I have the same problem. Dds have been saving hard for this trip. Lots of jobs, saving Xmas and b day. Now with the rate dropping they won't get as many dollars for their money which I'd disappointing but good on your girls for saving so hard too hopefully we can get good rates.
I think we've decided on travellers cheques that way once they've made a purchase (for which I'll sign) the change will be theirs and they are insured for upto £100.
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil-LUFC
Excited about Disney

I will put any spending money for my 2 boys on my fairfx card.
My daughter who's 17 has just started a part time job, so again I will put the money on the card and withdraw it when she needs it.

I have printed off some of these today for them

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Disn...pes-p-401.html
Neil-LUFC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread