Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 16, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
OP, Yes you will have adequate insurance but the company you eventually hire from won't help you if you have an accident. You will have to sort your own breakdown/tow truck etc., probably won't get a replacement car and you will have to pay for all the damage/repairs yourself whilst in the US and then claim it back when you return home. Thanks for posting but personally I'm happy to go with the hire companies own insurance.
I agree that this is the problem with 3rd party insurance. It is much easier to just call Alamo etc if you have an accident. They bring you a new car immediately and you can get on with your holiday.

OP we used to have CDW cover on DH's Amex card years ago. We used to rent using US pay on pick up rates so that we could avoid taking it out with Hertz. We never thought about the potential hassle but stopped doing it when we realised UK prepaid rates including insurance were cheaper anyway.

The "free car" top up insurances are often very overpriced. Many people find it cheaper to just ignore the free car and book a separate car with insurance included.
Old 1 Mar 16, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We were returning from KSC in the rain, and hit a big pothole that was covered in water. This basically destroyed the wheel and front suspension on one side. It was undrivable. I called Alamo expecting them to collect us and the car and take us back to deport, but no, a transporter truck turned up with a replacement car, the same as what we had. Swapped paperwork and drove off with an hour or so. Even had a tank of fuel I didn't pay for.
I ask the OP what his insurance company would do in this case?
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Diznee
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
No the advice is still the same. Just make sure you have CDW, SLI, Zero excess and all taxes etc.
Thats what you get with a reputable hire. The one to be wary of is the 'free car hire' as yes it is free but it's not Insured properly.

I have little doubt loads of people over the years have driven away thinking they are covered - but they aren't!
Thanks, it says fully insured and taxed on the quote. Also remember Charters paperwork suggesting we decline all insurance upgrades as unnecessary. Can never hurt to check though.
Diznee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBERIFFIC View Post
All the ones I have checked have inadequate cover on third party claims. So I will stick with the company insurance thank you.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=936573

No need to be snotty about it, I am only offering some advice not twisting your arm up your back :angry:
Sorry you found my post snotty, I wish that it was possible to get cover at that cost but in a litigatious country like the USA I will continue to get the insurance that leaves all the problems to the hire company.
Old 1 Mar 16, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I say if your happy with it go for it 😊
Old 2 Mar 16, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
Sorry you found my post snotty, I wish that it was possible to get cover at that cost but in a litigatious country like the USA I will continue to get the insurance that leaves all the problems to the hire company.
I'm all for saving money, but I agree with Greyfriars.

The one time that I got a package that included car hire I still saved money by arranging my own rental with US Rent a Car. Still was cheaper than paying the insurance for the "free" car, and we got an SUV not a small car, too.
Old 2 Mar 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBERIFFIC View Post
This is what is covered...
This policy is a daily policy, price shown is the total policy cost
This policy covers damage to tyres, wheels, windscreen (glass), underbody and roof in addition to bodywork, fire and theft
Collision Damage Waiver And Supplementary Liability Insurance only applies for rentals in or trips through USA, Canada, Caribbean, South & Central America.
Worldwide Policy
Excess covered to £4000 per Incident and £5000 per Annual Period of Insurance
Collison Damage Waiver Insurance of $100000
Supplimentary Liability Insurance limit cover of $1000000
Can be used within country of residence
8 named drivers aged between 21 and 85 allowed on policy with no extra charge
Includes £25 per day of curtailment or restitution cover in case of accident or illness requiring drivers hospitalisation
Includes £60 of lock out cover
£300 of cover for costs of returning hire car to depot in case of accident or illness requiring drivers hospitalisation
Hit and run and uninsured motorist incidents covered
£500 of lost key cover
£500 of misfuelling cover to clean the engine/fuel system of the incorrect fuel. Does not cover mechanical damage
Towing costs covered to policy limit following accident and mechanical breakdown
Policy is covered by Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
Covers cars with value up to £65,000
Policy available to UK residents only
Policy does not cover claims for damage incurred whilst using the car outside the rental firm's terms and conditions

Alamos cover...

Unlimited mileage
Full tank of fuel
3 additional drivers
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
$1 million liability coverage
Zero excess in the USA
OP I'm not doubting your research but I am doubting that this amount of cover can be provided for two weeks for £60+ . The list you quote represents a tremendous risk for the underwriters. Even if no claim is made I can't see where they would make much if any profit or commission.

Apart from that, I'd be worried that any litigation would run for years between the UK and US legal systems and in the meantime the policy holder will have had to pay out. Is the policy governed by UK law or US law, etc etc.

I certainly wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, sorry.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has claimed under this policy, to see how it went.

Edited at 09:19 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 16, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I well remember paying more for a hire car back in the mid 1990's than they are now!

I had this wonderful idea back in 1997 to get the SLI (Not the CDW) from a UK Company. I paid about £70 back then. I also cannot see how it can be so little for 2 weeks for all the Insurances

PS. I was never happy with what I did and would never do it again.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 16, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I've had a very quick look at the Bettersafe website and can't see any US car hire insurance. What I have found is insurance cover for the excess that you usually have to pay on any insurance policy. I put in the dates for a 2 week holiday and got a quotation of £67+. Makes me wonder if this is what the OP is talking about and we have misunderstood him ?

Robberific could you clarify or give us the link please, thanks

Linda x
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 16, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ROBBERIFFIC
Apprentice Imagineer

ROBBERIFFIC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I will find out
ROBBERIFFIC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread