Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Feb 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by LDISNEYFOX View Post
Thanks for that, that’s very useful. I put the hotel in on 44th and it says get off terminal on 42nd street.
When the itineries are shown on the route planner if you click on the map tab then the step text (for printing) option it shows which exit is best for your hotel.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Hallowishes
Imagineer

Great question, I was going to ask the same!

Doing 4 nights before flying down to Orlando just me and my 17 year old daughter! I was looking at the air train but worried about once at a tube station how I would manage the stairs with 2 large cases!

So looks like a cab at the airport of $52. The question I have though is it says passengers are responsible for paying at tolls! 😊
Thanks! I've been a little stressed worrying about being on my own with kids but I feel a lot better now I've decided to get a taxi door to door and then will probably get a taxi or shuttle bus back, I've read you have to allow a lot of time on the return because of traffic.

Holiday Inn LBV 2000, Cancun 2000, DLP Disneyland Hotel 2002, Atlantis-Bahamas 2002, Wyndham Orlando 2003, Sheraton Safari 2004, 2006, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 2007,2009,2010,2011,2013 & 2014 & 1nt.at Y&BC & CR, New York 2018, DLP Sequoia Lodge 2024.
Hallowishes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

We always use NYCAirporter. Lovely, comfy, air conditioned coaches with WiFi. They drop at Port Authority, Grand Central and Bryant Oark hut also have a shuttle that runs to hotels further uptown if you need it.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Didn’t realise you can share a card so that’s great. Is each ride about $3. I will look for citymapper app too thank you!
According to MTA website, each fare is $2.75
Old 7 Feb 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We took the train - as our hotel was only a 5 min walk from Penn station. Was definitely quicker than a cab, as I’d previously gone by taxi when i visited with friends, and it took us close to 2 hours to st through all the traffic, though think we must’ve hit bad traffic that day. The train was simple enough. Just exit the air train and then choose either the subway or Long Island rail road. Latter was slightly more expensive. I suppose it also depends on where you hotel is located. We were lucky that we could take a direct train or subway to our preferred station. We probably saved about $30.

We had 2 adults, a 15, 13 and a 6 year old. All managed their own luggage. Just our 6 year old needed help on and off the train and up the steps.

We didn’t go by train to save money though. We were limited on time and didn’t want to risk being stuck in traffic for 2 hours.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hallowishes View Post
Thanks! I've been a little stressed worrying about being on my own with kids but I feel a lot better now I've decided to get a taxi door to door and then will probably get a taxi or shuttle bus back, I've read you have to allow a lot of time on the return because of traffic.
I’d agree with leaving more time to get back to the airport, there was quite a bit of traffic, but it was the queue at check in that was huge, so if you could do online check in that would help you out and the security queue was big too, but luckily having our DD with us and she was under 11 they let us go through the family security, which was a lot quicker
Old 8 Feb 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
Your choice of course but there is a lift at Jamaica station between the airtrain and the subway and we found the platforms in NYC are not as far down as the London tube, usually only 1 or 2 flights of stairs from the street to the platforms.

You could get 7 day unlimited ride Metro cards @ $32 each and cover the Air train for another $10 each, $84 total which would cover your journey to and from JFK and all subway and bus journeys during your stay for about the price of a one way taxi ride, after tips and tolls but like I said you know what works for you.
I get very nervous when it comes to buying the right ticket!

So the air train cost $5 each trip, $10 return. Then I get two metro cards and choose 7 day usage for $32 each. I can then use that card for our 4 days there.

Or do I get one card and put two $32 on that?

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

It does get a bit confusing I agree, the MetroCard is similar to an Oyster card in London if that helps. You need a metrocard to operate the gates, usually to enter the platforms and sometimes to exit.

If you choose the weekly card you need 1 each, if you use a pay as you go card you top a card with cash you can share the cards value with your daughter, you swipe the card go through the barrier then give it to your daughter and she does the same, this is allowed and will deduct 2 fares from your balance, you can also use this to exit/enter the airtrain, it will deduct $5 per swipe each way.

The breakeven point is 13 trips but the weekly card won't work for the airtrain, you have to pay the $5 on top.

The pay as you go option will probably work out better value as a lot of stuff is walkable from Times Square, you would need the subway for the SoL, WTC, Brooklyn Bridge but they are all within walking distance of each other.

Bet your more confused than ever now...Sorry.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hallowishes View Post
worth remembering a shuttle bus may have multiple pick ups so allow even more time ontop of the estimated journey time...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

We got a taxi for four which was nice and big, just picked it up outside the terminal, flat rate fare. Also did the same going back, so many taxis everywhere!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List