Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We had a short assembly and that was it, very disrespectful I thought but we are not allowed off timetable. I’ve heard we aren’t going to be doing anything in the run up to Christmas either
°o°-Hannah-°o° is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My girls school had a 2 min silence on Friday.
My school, all children made a ceramic poppy which was displayed to make 1918. We had a church armistice service last Tuesday and there was another one yesterday,
Old 12 Nov 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
My DDs school had a veteran come last Tuesday to give a talk, on Friday there was a whole school assembly of remembrance and yesterday the choir took part in the parade and sang two songs in the local church. The school also had poppies for sale and made an additional donation to the poppy appeal.
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Both of my daughters' schools had a special assembly on the Friday with 2 min silence at 11am.

They are 16 and 17 doing A levels, all their time outside scheduled assembly is full with different subjects, study periods at different times, university visits, work experience, tutoring lower years etc.

They were both at the remembrance parade yesterday through their own choice.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

My daughters school had an assembly and a parade wreath laying by the pupils who are in the army/air force/navy cadets in full uniform etc

so it every year apparantly
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Lots going on at my school, different poppies made in art and tech club being displayed all over the school gates. Assembly in the courtyard with poetry readings, speeches and bugler, 2 minute silence it was very emotional and we are proud of how it was marked.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

My DD's primary school always make a big song and dance about it - the kids were invited to go dressed up as any war themed (usually the go as evacuees, Nurses & military uniforms) and pay £1 to the poppy appeal (not mandatory dress up, school uniform if not dressed up though) they have veterans in for special assemblies and talks all day, they had a Tank and 3 old war vehicles that the kids were all able to get in and they closed the main road through the village and the whole school walked up through the village behind one of the army trucks driven by a veteran and laid poppy wreaths & read poems at the Cenotaph and had the 2 mins silence there at 11am - they made the local news.

My DS's secondary school usually picks about 5 kids to walk to their village Cenotaph and and lay all the poppy wreathes made in art class and they did the 2 mins silence at 11am on Friday and a special assembly

I think it's sad if schools don't at least acknowledge it as being an important day and do a special (longer!) assembly dedicated to the subject as the kids growing up will never comprehend what it was / is like to go to war and the sacrifices that were (are! ) made!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Yeah my kids school did a replica of the Tower poppies but I feel the poppies were painted during regular art class time. They also did an assembly on the Thursday.

I do think that was enough though. It was explained and discussed with them and they did something practical to help understand it.

As for Remembrance Day itself kids can be pulled in all directions dependent on what activities they do out of school. My kids are in Scouting and Guiding and as such had two places to be at the same time on Sunday. Had their school (as loads of schools did) arranged to be at a community service then they would have had a third place they couldn’t attend.
ely3857 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

My dd's primary school sell poppies and the choir went to the local church yesterday to sing at the service.

Other dd's secondary school: each form group made a wreath for a local display and they had a remembrance assembly today.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a rememberance day last week where each class did an activity linked to WW1. The older children researched the names of soldiers who lived in the local area. They then wrote short biographies. Other classes did poetry. Every child made a poppy. The poppies were used to create a wreath which was then taken and displayed in the local church. On Friday the school held a two minutes silence. A lot of the children seemed to have participated over the weekend in remembrance activities.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List