Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sallybunny
Excited about Disney

Going to California for a week is madness, right?

So, I'm planning a jaunt to the West Coast. After reading trip reports and doing some googling and the like there's a lot I want to see and do. The main reason for the trip initially is to go to DisneyLand as DS1 is desperate to do all of them (and I, of course, will use any excuse!).

But time and money aren't on our side right now. To do everything I want to do would mean weeks and weeks out there and cost thousands. We don't have thousands and only have a week, maybe 10days if I push it. And it would be in February half term week. And tbh as it's just me and the boys travelling on our own, I prefer short sharp holidays as we get away but I don't go utterly crazy with only small boys for company!

I've managed to distil it down to basically wanting to visit DL, San Diego and possibly Joshua Tree National Park. We'll be going back, but for now that's the list! Can someone tell me I'm utterly crazy and not to do it or tell me it's a perfectly sensible thing to do and that they do a week trip all the time!

Bear in mind I posted something similar about WDW last year and we're heading out there in Feb half term next year!
Old 28 Nov 17, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We are going for 12 nights and doing Joshua Tree and San Diego (at Christmas ) I have done Vegas for a week.

If you could stretch it to 10 nights it could be doable!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sallybunny
Excited about Disney

Im going to be rational and do the 10 days but push it back to October. I hate being rational and want to go NOW!
Old 28 Nov 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We did Vegas for 5 days. Jet lag took longer to go lol. But no young children. I think stretching it to 10 days is good.
Old 28 Nov 17, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Doesn't sound mad to me, especially if you know it's not a once in a lifetime trip so you don't have to cram everything in. DL is pretty small, you could cover it in 2-3 days easily. San Diego highlights could be done in a similar amount of time as well, it's not too large of a city.

I really hate long holidays, 7 nights is my maximum now with about 4 nights preferred. Sure, struggle a bit with jet lag but I prefer an early night anyway so I just roll with it and stay slightly ahead of normal times. Beating the crowds in the morning is a nice side effect of it!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Me and my DH went to LA for a week in February. 3 nights in Anaheim and 4 nights in Burbank. Landed on the Sunday morning and back to normal life on Monday morning (tired but forced back into UK time).

Life is too short to not do the the things we want to do. I've read many reports of 5, 6 or 7 nights to LA, San Fran or Vegas.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn’t go for a week , the flight is longer than Florida and the time difference greater so takes longer to get over .

Plus if your travelling around places you lose time there , with just a week you’d have very little time anywhere .

It’s a bit different to going to just one place for a week .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I'd happily go for a week and have done further distances than UK-California for a week or less (most recently in September this year for 4 nights)!

But I'm used to short holidays as it's hard to get more than a week off work at a go, I have no issues with very long flights, and almost no issues with jet lag...
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

I once flew from California to spend one week in London, so I'm not one to call anyone mad lol. But I think if you can get 10 days, or even 9, it would be a good idea in this case. I say that because the distances between each place you want to go is just far enough that a couple of your days will get eaten up by travel. If each location were only an hour apart, that would be a different story.

Edited at 04:23 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

we have done a week, travelling to Vegas and driving back to LA to fly back. I you only have a week, go for it
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List