Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

Flight booking dilemma!

Agh! I’m really torn at the moment. I have seen some amazing bargain flights to Florida for next July (£284 per person direct from Manchester), but I am not really able to go ahead and book them for a few reasons.
Firstly I don’t know how many are coming. My eldest DD will be 20. Has Aspergers. She really doesn’t do well in the heat, or crowds, has dietary issues, and holidays with her are a chore if I am honest. She does love the rides though, and swimming/beach but not water parks!
My husband is adamant that she will want to come nearer the time even though DD has said she will be happier at home with the dogs, and her grandparents round the corner.
I feel terrible admitting this but, a holiday without her would be so much easier.
If I book for 4 of us, I could hope that nearer the time if she feels left out we could add her flights on, or book for 5 and take the loss.
Another dilemma I have is DD age 16 would like her boyfriend to come with us. He’s a lovely lad, and we all get on well with him, but it makes sleeping arrangements more difficult (he would have to share with my DS age 9), or get a villa with more bedrooms. Changes the dynamics somewhat though.
My last dilemma is taking DS out of school to take advantage of cheap flights. (Year 4)I have never done it before. I know we probably would be fined. He would be back in time for the last week of the summer term though, I am not worried about the missed schooling, but 8 days off is a lot.
Sorry for rambling on, I guess writing it down might give me some clarity on the best thing to do.
I think in my mind, we should book for the 4 of us for now, and add DD, and/or boyfriend nearer the time, hoping that the flights are still available, and a good price.
Thanks for listening, you have been a great help!
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We have 2 boys with asd so can sympathise on the holiday being easier!.we have also taken boyfriends and friends of our children and it can definately change the dynamics and be an extra stress.I would say booking for 4 seems the best idea as you say then adding on extra people later if needed.hope you have a great time
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Mmm, lots of balls in the air and there is no right or wrong answer. But you asked for opinions so here is mine.

Book 4 now and see what transpires over time.

If the boyfriend is keen to come he will find the money and get a flight but a year is a long time with young relationships.

Older Daughter. Be guided by her, she is looking for her independence and this is all part of it especially with relatives around the corner.
Or. Book for 5 and take the £284 hit - I wouldn't.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

At that price even if you pay more for the extra tickets later it’s still going to be a good deal.
I’d be tempted to add the dd in as it’s such a good price and I think if she doesn’t fly you’d get the tax back which would be pretty much your full fare at that price.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

I think I would book the eldest daughter as adding her on later and definitely at the last minute might be awkward. I would maybe keep it up your sleeve though so she is less likely to change her mind, sounds like the independence might be good for her.

I wouldn’t book the boyfriend at this point, they might not even be together then. I don’t think I would particularly want a 16 year old’s boyfriend on holiday either.

I know better than to comment about time out of school.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'd be tempted to buy DD seat at that price. It's not too much to lose if she changes her mind but buying a seat later on could cost double. (I'm not saying it's an insignificant amount though)

As for the boyfriend if he wants to come let him give u the flight money on booking or best option I'd let him book his own flight in case anything happens during the year... Like Mr M says a year is a long time at that age. If he's serious he'll get his own park tickets etc.
I wouldn't want to try to get any monies back if they went their separate ways.
And I'm not sure I'd want him coming on my family holiday 🙄🙄

Edited at 10:33 AM.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I would book for your eldest daughter too , you could always claim taxes back if she doesn't go as for the boyfriend only your family can decide that. I have taken numerous friends /girlfriends for my lot and yes it is a pain as you need more space but I still do it . Yes there is a chance they wont be together next year but my middle son has been going out with his girlfriend since she was 13 , he was 14 they are now 19 and 20 and my youngest has been going out with his since he was 14 and is 16 next week, you just dont know.
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
no bf's on a family holiday for us , its our time as a family , but I know others re happy to include them

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

I had this conundrum to a lesser extent last year. Didn't add Ds 20 on at booking.

Three months on all change and he wanted to come. Lots on here might say too late he didn't want to come first time don't pay through nose for him to come later. But I did - he is my son and it was worth the extra for him to come for me.

That said. It cost me nearly 3 times as much for him to come as one of the original bookings. Plus we had to change our hotel in New York at more cost.

Next year (prob going Europe so cheaper) I will be booking him an easyJet ticket on release. If in the end he doesn't want to come i will take the hit, or poss offer to dd 18s boyfriend then.

I will book the slightly larger accommodation either way.

Good luck. Family dynamics and last minute decisions are hard for those of us that like to plan ahead.

Edited at 10:50 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi

If I were in this situation I would 5 flights with the plan being possibly your daughter will change her mind especially when it is getting close and possibly lots of excitement leading up to it, but I wouldn't mention I had booked her ticket and see how things go, if she doesn't come then you still get taxes back and taking the rest of loss the cost isn't huge.

With the boyfriend I wouldn't book for him, I would discuss it with them and if he wants to go let him to book his ticket now at that great price or later when it may be more expensive but either way his choice.

With school I would let them know but wouldn't change my plans and see exactly what work will be missed I can't imagine that late in the year it would be too much.

Accommodation I would look for various options and take notes but wouldn't book anything yet unless there is a specific villa/hotel you really want, would book nearer the time when you possibly have more idea of who is coming.

At that price I would definitely book and worry about the other bits later as I would scared to miss that great deal.

HTH
DLP 2016, 2018

Edited at 11:14 AM.
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List