Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Oct 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
How to find a good price for UC?

Hi

We have just returned from another trip and we used Tui PE. Maybe no longer worth it as it didn't feel any better than economy. There are a few bits but not the £1k seat price.

Another reason for looking at UC is that our Daughter is so poorly on the flights as she cannot stomach the smell of the food cooking , to be fair to her it does stink when they do the breakfast (at was is 1:30am).

Because of her feeling so rough we have decided that our next trip will be our last and we plan to pay extra £££ to make it fabulous.

I have just gone onto the VA site and the prices are coming up at £11k for the 3 of us. I am always reading on here about people getting a great UC price and it is nowhere near the £11k I have found.

A very kind Dibber spoke to me about doing the Dublin thing, but time constraints with work etc would make this quite difficult.

We also have no airmiles for any airline so can't make any savings there either.

I was expecting to pay about £2k each? Am I expecting too much?

Are there any other airlines that are worth looking at?

Last question, and it's a stupid one... Do you get the horrible smell from food being cooked in the UC cabin?

Thanks for any help

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
We booked economy with Virgin for around £550 PP as like you say UC was extortionate, then with checking each day on our booking one day it had come down to £450 PP so we booked making it approx £1000 PP
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

All you can really do is check daily. Our target is £1200 for UC and have achieved this in recent years. Sometimes booking a lower class and upgrading and sometimes we see the fares and book straight away. This year we have got a couple of reward UC flights.

There is no formula - just check constantly and book the minute you see them. If you wait at all, others will book them.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Last question, and it's a stupid one... Do you get the horrible smell from food being cooked in the UC cabin?
Yes, you most certainly do. The smell usually wakes me up (makes me hungry). The galley is at the back of UC.
johnb is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
Yes, you most certainly do. The smell usually wakes me up (makes me hungry). The galley is at the back of UC.
I can't press like on yours because I am gutted that the smell is still there but thanks for the reply anyway

Is it the smell of economy food though? Surely its a nicer meal?

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
We booked economy with Virgin for around £550 PP as like you say UC was extortionate, then with checking each day on our booking one day it had come down to £450 PP so we booked making it approx £1000 PP
Wow, thats brilliant and its what we paid for Tui so thats a no brainer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
All you can really do is check daily. Our target is £1200 for UC and have achieved this in recent years. Sometimes booking a lower class and upgrading and sometimes we see the fares and book straight away. This year we have got a couple of reward UC flights.

There is no formula - just check constantly and book the minute you see them. If you wait at all, others will book them.
This sounds like a plan, thanks

Old 27 Oct 18, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
If you don't want to smell the food cooking it's a case of having a seat further away from the galley whichever class you are flying in.

At the end of the day it's a sealed metal tube and smells will circulate around it and the smell won't go away either when they start serving (and people eating)...

As for UC price, depends if booking UC specifically or upgrading from a lower class (price will largely be dictated by original ticket price/class, some you cannot upgrade).

Edited at 07:32 PM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Mobile

Is it the smell of economy food though? Surely its a nicer meal?
It is the smell of bacon for breakfast.
johnb is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
Wow, thats brilliant and its what we paid for Tui so thats a no brainer

This sounds like a plan, thanks
Sorry should have said, that's outbound only, though we have booked return PE for only £150 extra PP so flights are £1150 all in
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

BA had some deals on earlier this week as we went clubworld for under £1500 rtn each. Virgin are really expensive for next year in upper flights the same day were £6k each
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List