Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 18, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Schools and Remembrance day

Just out of interest did many of your children’s schools not do anything for Remembrance Day? I am a head teacher in a small market town and always go with a couple of the children to lay a wreath and participate in the parade and service. As do the other three schools and even the pre school. This year all the schools did other things such as making different types of poppies for the town display and there is a festival of remembrance next week held jointly by the schools. I was surprised yesterday when one of my good friends said her school did nothing as the head won’t let them go off timetable. Seems sad. My dd secondary school always hold a short service and a silence in the quad, and children can go in scout/cadet uniform etc and she says everyone is very respectful. Just made me wonder if many schools didn’t do anything especially in this very significant year?
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had a history day before half term and the children made crafts with poppies on and talked about the war. On Friday we just had a minutes silence.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

My school had a special whole school assembly (usually separate key stages as we’re large - 650 on roll), during the week the school council had led plastic poppy making which were then used to create our own flowing poppy display on the school gates, and all 650 gathered on the playground at 11 for 2 minutes silence, the last post and a song by the school choir.

I also used my RE lesson this week to discuss Remembrance Day and children did some follow up writing and art work. This is something we do every year. As long as I’m teaching I will always do this.

I did say to my DH that I was proud that displays around the country appear, if anything, bigger and better as years go by reflecting the promise that we will always remember.

Edited at 11:28 PM.
hermione25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Our secondary school have a assembly plus a few kids go to the Cenotaph with the 4 primary schools from this area (years 1-6) they all had a poppy with a service man/woman’s name on them and there was also a service with 2 minutes silence
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Our school sold poppies and made poppies to cascade with fairy lights over the outside of the building. There were classes on the war and the people who lived during that time. Today the school children laid the wreath and there was a special church service after. the school also hosted a poppy lunch for all members of the community.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My sons college had a service on Friday held by the uniformed services department.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Alllovedisney
slightly serious Dibber

Ours did the poppy stones that I posted a few days ago. They held an assembly and observed a two minutes silence. Many of the children were at the Remembrance Service yesterday.
Seems a missed opportunity for those who did nothing.
DLP (offsite) Sep 1998 WDW (offsite) Nov 2002 DLP (DCR) Jan 2005 DLP (DCR) Nov 2009 DLP (SF) Oct 2010 DLP (DLH) Feb 2013 St Petes & WDW (SSR) Sep/Aug 2016 DLP (DCR) Sep 2017 DLP (offsite Explorers) Dec 2017 DLP (DCR) May 2018 DLP (DCR) Sep 2018 DLP (HC for Disney Performing Arts) July 2019.
Alllovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Our primary school children & staff stood together outside wearing red & black & formed a poppy which was photographed from above by a drone. We observed a two minute silence during this time.
The photo is brilliant.

We also sold poppies & other merchandise to raise money for the Poppy fund.

Edited at 07:39 AM.
missy E is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
Our primary school children & staff stood together outside wearing red & black & formed a poppy which was photographed from above by a drone. We observed a two minute silence during this time.
The photo is brilliant.

We also sold poppies & other merchandise to raise money for the Poppy fund.
That’s a lovely idea!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

My DD primary walked to the war memorial, and invited villages. They read poems and had a 2 min silence. We then all went back to school for tea and cake, and raised £300 for the Poppy appeal.

My DD secondary held a silence at 11am on Friday
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List