Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 6 Aug 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Do I try onsite?

Last time onsite was 1999! 2016 and 2018 we done a villa stay. I’m really wondering wether to give onsite a go for a change and I’m torn. Going back 2021. Kids will be 13 and 10. Has anyone done this and regretted it? Or done a split stay say 7/10 nights onsite then villa? Would just be nice not to make sarnies etc for the parks for a bit and DH could have a drink? Trying to weigh up costs too. Looking at one of the moderates and upgrading to DDP if it’s free dining again. Would love YC so we could have a balcony but quite pricey. Will be going end of August again. I’m just thinking with all the new bits due onsite would be a benefit even if just for a week. How do you manage all being in one room? As kids will be older we would probably go back out in the evening anyway? Decisions decisions.
Old 6 Aug 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been going since 2004 and been 10 times, first 2 times in hotel on I Drive, then always villas - we loved our villa holidays, they have all been fab! But, this year we decided to give Animal Kingdom Lodge a go... It was like a dream! We loved it and we are going back in January. the Dining plan was great, to just eat without worrying about cost was brilliant. AKL is such a beautiful hotel and you could just stay there and never even visit the parks if you didn’t want too. My kids are 13 and 3, I worried about all sharing 1 room but we had no problems at all
Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll love it
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
We’ve been going since 2004 and been 10 times, first 2 times in hotel on I Drive, then always villas - we loved our villa holidays, they have all been fab! But, this year we decided to give Animal Kingdom Lodge a go... It was like a dream! We loved it and we are going back in January. the Dining plan was great, to just eat without worrying about cost was brilliant. AKL is such a beautiful hotel and you could just stay there and never even visit the parks if you didn’t want too. My kids are 13 and 3, I worried about all sharing 1 room but we had no problems at all
Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll love it
Thank you! I’ve looked at AKL and it looks lovely. My friends stayed there in March and said the food court is good? And the pool a nice size?
Old 6 Aug 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

And the buses are great! We never waited more than 10 minutes and mostly only few minutes. I also set out a few basic rules before we arrived. For example, shower for everyone, at least once a day, everyday! (You might think that goes without saying but not so much with a 13 year old lol). I found we’d constantly be popping out the room anyway, it was like the bedroom. The rest of the hotel was the living room 😂
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
Thank you! I’ve looked at AKL and it looks lovely. My friends stayed there in March and said the food court is good? And the pool a nice size?
Pool is brilliant. We used Kidani’s pool too. Both a good size and lovely temperature. My sister is going in a few weeks, I’m so jealous! The hotel, animals and staff are all amazing. Plus, they gave loads of stuff for the kids to do, my 3 year old took part in a task of preparing the food for the animals

Food - there are 3 restaurants and a quick service, all are very tasty. We didn’t try Jiko, but will next time.

Edited at 10:12 AM.
Old 6 Aug 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have you looked at OKW? We get a 1 bed villa, sleeps 5, very spacious and has a lovely balcony
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smoggy123 View Post
Have you looked at OKW? We get a 1 bed villa, sleeps 5, very spacious and has a lovely balcony
Yes I’ve looked their too it looks nice and big. Got lots to ponder over until April next year. Will only go onsite if free dining is offered again.
Old 6 Aug 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
For me, next time we go we will almost definitely stay offsite. This is for 2 reasons: 1) we will definitely want to go to Universal which would make the holiday a split stay and I'd rather mix it up a bit and 2) the parking charges at Disney now just make an onsite hotel more difficult to justify cost wise.

Yes its great to be in the Disney bubble and be able to charge everything to your magic band, book FP at 60 days out and have the benefit of EMH but I think we are coming to a point, and have possibly passed that point, where the benefits no longer outweigh the cost.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WDWfangirl View Post
For me, next time we go we will almost definitely stay offsite. This is for 2 reasons: 1) we will definitely want to go to Universal which would make the holiday a split stay and I'd rather mix it up a bit and 2) the parking charges at Disney now just make an onsite hotel more difficult to justify cost wise.

Yes its great to be in the Disney bubble and be able to charge everything to your magic band, book FP at 60 days out and have the benefit of EMH but I think we are coming to a point, and have possibly passed that point, where the benefits no longer outweigh the cost.
Thank you.
Old 6 Aug 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have been a confirmed onsiter fro about 25 years now. The problem is it is hard to go back off site once you stay onsite. At first we did split stays (3 kids would not share beds and the cost of two rooms was high).

Now we are always onsite. Of course, I am American so a week or ten nnights is a holiday for us.

We did 4 adults and an infant in a one bedroom at OKW. With the baby (11 mos) the kitchen and washer/dryer made the holiday so much easier. BOth the sofa bed and chair bed were nice and comfy.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List