Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Funerals and not having one

I have been to a funeral this morning and it set me thinking. I really don’t want a funeral for me. I don’t want people to be teary-eyed and upset. I would just like the wake afterwards. Is it possible not to have one and how does that work?

PS I know I ask some rather odd questions!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I have been to a funeral this morning and it set me thinking. I really don’t want a funeral for me. I don’t want people to be teary-eyed and upset. I would just like the wake afterwards. Is it possible not to have one and how does that work?

You know I agree, for me I dont want a funeral.

However, I also understand that funerals are not for the dead they are for those left behind. A way of saying goodbye, a time when you can weep if you want, a time for people to come together to discuss the life that's gone.

So, I will be happy with whatever is done with me, if my family want a funeral that's fine but if they dont that's fine too.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
When I mentioned to my family that I would really think about donating my body to science etc, they were horrified! Not sure why, because once your gone you are gone! Would definitely want a wee do afterwards for everyone.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

I totally understand where you are coming from and I would actually love to do the same. To go to a funeral is not nice and I would do anything to save my Daughter from having to go to mine. I have even told her that if she doesn't want to go then I don't blame her. Also, don't waste any of my money letting me go in style, just send me on my way in the cheapest way possible

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
No you do not have to have a funeral, David Bowie didn’t .
There’s an interesting article about it here bbc/news/magazine-35812014

As an atheist I feel similar to you Jan. However, I did attend a humanist (non religious) funeral a few years ago. It was held at the local crematorium but was more of a celebratory type gathering and I found it much more comforting that the “typical” religious service.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don’t want a funeral or a wake afterwards I’m not paying for a party I can’t go to
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’m torn as I don’t actually want one but I know my husband wouldn’t feel he had done “right” by me if there wasn’t one.
I also believe funerals are for the living and to trigger the start of closure .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

One of our relatives left his body to science. It was hard for his family as they felt they were left in limbo not knowing for ages when or where they could have a funeral. In the end they had to travel a long way and it was quite a difficult occasion.

I think if anyone wants to do this, go for it but please discuss everything with your family first.

I am a bit blase about funerals I guess, as my dad is a retired vicar. I’ve gone to many since being very young, and played the organ for many too. I find while they are often hard for the family, the absence of one can be harder as there is no sense of closure.

Many people have a celebration of the person’s life rather than a funeral - that might be something to consider.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DH and me feel differently. To him a good send off is one with as many people attending as possible. To me it’s a private, family and close friends affair.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I don’t want my family to waste money on one, my husband refuses to discuss it, knowing his feelings I’d have a funeral for him if he goes first and if I go first I’ll have to leave it up to him...
Personally I sooner they had the wake without the funeral... can be done easily, there’s adverts on afternoon tv...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List