Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Is Grease (the film) sexist

Was the debate on GMB this morning. Basically someone was arguing it was sexist because the main character changes the way she looks to please a man. I don’t know, never really watched it, but surely there’s more important things to debate in 2020
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I love Grease, there’s so many films like the nutty professor he changes to get the girl! Please don’t let them stop us watching them, I used to dress up to attract the opposite sex!
Old 29 Oct 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Both main characters in Grease change the way they look to try and attract the other so that’s a very poor argument!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I love Grease, there’s so many films like the nutty professor he changes to get the girl! Please don’t let them stop us watching them, I used to dress up to attract the opposite sex!
Obviously that didn't work too welll for you

I must stop spraying myself with Lynx Africa because I am trying to attract Mrs MH to my bedroom (it hasn't worked too well so far though).

Edited at 12:56 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

I must stop spraying myslef with Lynx Africa because I am trying to attract Mrs MH to my bedroom (it hasn't worked too well so far though).
It did work, I had lots of Male attention back in the day. I’ve given up now, I used to make the effort to go out but don’t go out that much anymore! Maybe you should try frebreze I’ve heard it drives woman wild!
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyHaunt13
Excited about Disney

Yes... but it needed to be in order to representative of the time period it’s set in 😊
HappyHaunt13 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I love Grease but I've always felt the message was dodgy:

1. You won't get a boyfriend unless you 'put out'
2. You're not good enough as you are, even though that's how they fell for you (applies to both Sandy and Danny)
3. Peer pressure rules, always give in to it
4. Songs with naughty lyrics about sex are great fun for school kids to sing along to
(no, 'Greased Lightning' is not about a car for cats...)

The original version was a stage play and was based on Eugene's yearbook, so it was an ironic look back. The film got rid of all that and added a 1970s sounding theme song in the middle of all the 1950s music, and for some reason a flying car...!

It's no reason not to watch it and love it, but it's always wise to question whether we agree with what we're watching!

As for Grease 2 though, that's a whole other issue... just soooo bad!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Both main characters in Grease change the way they look to try and attract the other so that’s a very poor argument!
Strange storyline that seeing as they had already hooked up at the beginning of the story without all the preening and posing.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

I must stop spraying myself with Lynx Africa because I am trying to attract Mrs MH to my bedroom (it hasn't worked too well so far though).
Stop with the lynx and start with the showering
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Apparently, Oliver Newton John had to be stitched into those black leggings, they were so skin tight! Danny might have struggled later to get them off her! Lol!

Not sexist really, just a light hearted take on the era, boy meets girl, nothing really changes throughout the decades.