Day Eight
Day Nine
Day Ten
Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen

Day Fifteen 3rd September 2007

Well done for making it this far…it has been a long journey, and I find myself a little heavier, a lot happier and a lot richer for being poorer, if you know what I mean.

I wake this morning at 8am as usual, but don’t rush to get up. We only have the packing to look forward to really. Our flight is not until this evening though so we have some plans to make the most of today. Most of them include ridiculous amounts of food, but they are plans nontheless.

Once we are all finally up and dressed (don’t want to catch anything in the case zippers now do we), I volunteer to go and get some breakfast from the Bakery. Frankly, I’d rather watch back to back episodes of Where the Heart Is, than do the packing, so a stroll to get some cakes seems a good way out, and it also gains me brownie points. None of us have brownies by the way.

I take Rebecca with me, as I suspect I’ll have a lot to carry, and we are soon in the quite long queue. Most queues do seem to be caused by you lot on the Dining Plan…so stop it!

We finally get served, and the layout of this place is less than ideal. Until you are asked what you want, you can’t actually see what is on offer, so I quickly point a various random items in the glass case and we end up with –

Me – Blueberry Muffin
Louise – Cinnamon Swirl
Emily – Chocolate Muffin
Rebecca – Cinnamon Swirl

I also get a couple of fruit cups, as we like to eat healthily.

We take that lot back upstairs along with two coffees and two chocolate milks, and the room looks like a bad night in Vietnam. There is no visible floor space at all, and we seem to have inherited the previous occupant’s clothes as well as our own.

I help by sitting down and eating my breakfast. Once that vital task is done, we despatch the girls to Community Hall whilst we cram large things into tight spaces….mind you that’s how we ended up with the girls in the first place!

We also do some packing.

At 10.50, with literally minutes to spare, we are sweating, out of breath, but finished. The packing was quite tiring too. I call Bell Services, and then leave Louise to sort that, as I go down to liberate the car from the car park.

On the way, I collect the kids from the Community Hall, where they have been playing air hockey, table tennis (drat I missed my chance to be beat them) and watching DVDs. They wait at the main entrance as I go and get the car, and bring it back to the front door.

Of course, half of the hotel is checking out at this precise moment, so things get a little crowded, and it doesn’t help that Bell Services don’t actually turn up until 11.30.

Finally, the car is loaded up. I really have no clue how we got everything in the car, but we do, and we set off for the Freetime Check In looking like the opening scene of the Beverley Hillbillies.

As I have zero visibility from around 70% of the car windows, carnage results behind me as I use the Russian roulette school of changing lanes a few times, but we arrive in one piece.

The location of the check in thing has changed…but I know not to where, so I park up and have a wander. I see the check in place, but I suppose I need to change my voucher at the actual TCD office before I can do that. Of course the new TCD office is about three miles walk from the check in, and Emily and I eventually find it. I am in no way getting stressed and tetchy at this point.

I go into the office, present my voucher, only to be told that they will accept the voucher at the check in. Smashing says I, flash her my best smile, and leave.

Back to the car, unload the bags….oh and the luggage too….and we enter the check in which is empty. This is mainly as they are closing up. Show me where it says that check in closes at 12 please?

Anyway, they accept us and we wave goodbye to the luggage. I annoy the blokes loading the cases onto the van by stressing that these are going to MANCHESTER about seventeen times, as I know there is a Gatwick flight departing tonight too.

So that is a relief, and we can now start the day.

Our plan of attack was to secure a Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Cream for lunch. This was to honour a promise made as we left last year, having not found time to do this.

We park at the Beach Club, and wander into the resort, past one of the quiet pools. After a little mooching we find reception, and therefore our bearings, and eventually get to Beaches & Cream.

The estimated wait is forty minutes, so we settle down and start to wait. It turns out that fifteen minutes later we are being shown to our table. This is not the place for a quiet meal. It is always very noisy in here, and of course very busy.

We start to look at the menu, and realize that we actually fancy some real food, rather than just a Kitchen Sink. Rebecca is finally persuaded when she sees one being made, and realizes that it would take a party of twelve three weeks to finish one.

So we compromise, and agree we will have lunch and then a Sundae to share.

Louise starts with a milkshake, making the statement that we’re going out with a bang on this holiday.

We order –

Me – Beef Sub

Louise – Cheeseburger fries and Onion Rings (We’re taking no prisoners)

Rebecca & Emily – Mini Cheeseburger and Fries

The food was lovely, and the Onion rings the best we have ever had. Emily had about three dozen of them.

There was a very tempting looking sundae on the menu that involved peanut butter, but I’m afraid there was never any doubt with Rebecca at the table….

We went for the Fudge Mud Slide

The following scenes may not be suitable for those of a nervous disposition.

Emily said she didn’t want any as she was too full…oh but she’ll just pinch the cherry off the top…and perhaps one spoonful of cream…and then….it was too late…it had her in it’s tractor beam…

and she had it all down her arm.

It turns into the survival of the fattest, as we near the hot fudge and brownies at the bottom. There was only ever going to be one winner.

Continued...
Old 30 Sep 07, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I think Emily enjoyed it after all

I suppose it was OK….

Louise is quite frankly in shock at the scenes she has just witnessed

We have to leave now as they have run out of food and have to re-stock. We leave $70 as some sort of apology.

So we wander back through the resort, albeit a little slower than on the way in, and restroom. As usual we find ourselves outside a restroom waiting.

As we are crossing a bridge near the car park, as I often find happens after a large meal, a turtle’s head appears. The cold sweat passes and we also see some things swimming in the river.

We stand watching these and lots of fish for a while, which allows the other turtle’s head to retreat a little and we can move on, back to the car.

Louise grabs the camera, and as we sit at the lights exiting the Beach Club we have a great view of TOT across the road. Louise grabs the camera, chooses the right setting, zooms in, and then out a bit, turns the camera this way and that, and finally takes the photo…..just as a bus goes in front of us!

I don’t laugh much. Her second try is a little better.

Continued...
Old 30 Sep 07, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We then drive to DTD,

and I am looking forward to an afternoon in Disney Quest. However, it appears I am outvoted and the women folk want to go the cinema to watch Hairspray. The fact that they have all seen it before (Emily five times) is of no matter, and we find ourselves just catching the beginning of the 2.20 show.

I never realized how attractive the back of my head is!

We are a little late, and have to take the four seats right in the back corner. I do a great job of standing on as many feet as I can on the way.

This is the girls favourite film ever (this week), and I must say it wasn’t a bad way to spend the afternoon. I do want to go to a US cinema when I haven’t just eaten my own body weight elsewhere, as I want to do the whole “candy stall” thing and buy a wheely bin of popcorn and a foot long hot dog.

The film ends at 4.25 and we do a couple of last minute gift buys, before heading off to the car, to make the sad trip back to Sanford.

Louise has the camera here, as of course I am driving, so I take no responsibility here.

Sat the lights at Crossroads, Louise “David Bailey” Williams tries again, and I have to sit with the lights already on green, getting abused from behind, as she hasn’t got her shot yet.

Finally, the masterpiece is captured and we can stop holding up half of Orlando.

As we head up the I4, Louise must be trying to “use up the last of the film”. The fact that it is a 2GB SD Card, and can take thousands of pictures, I choose not to explain.

Anyway, in case anyone gets lost on the tricky I4 back to Sanford, these might help.

Continued...
Old 30 Sep 07, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Dolly Parton’s third most famous thing.

Emily asks if she can take a photo, and Louise passes the camera to the back seat, where it has to be said, the girls are getting a little hyper at this stage.

If anyone can tell me what that is, I’ll send them a special prize…..Emily!

As ever the final thrill ride of the holiday is, have I got enough petrol to get to Sanford, is played out. Every year I convince myself I have, and then things get a bit twitchy on those final few miles after leaving the I4.

By sheer will power we make it, and we are soon beeped and we say goodbye to the car.

Into the terminal, we all restroom to get changed into our winter woolies for the flight home. I takes me about forty seconds to swap my shorts for pants, and I then stand and watch the queue for security quadruple in length whilst the women do God knows what for half an hour.

We wait an age to get our sacks X-rayed. I get the all clear, without any of the big blokes having to handle mine, which is always a relief.

Up the stairs into departures we decide against the Guest house as is there isn’t too long until we board now. We get a drink, and browse the shop for books and sweets for the flight.

The horror of going home is starting to hit home now, and soon we are called to board.

After another long wait, we finally board, and as we do, a muppet is stood up putting his luggage into the overhead thing, and then standing chatting for a bit, no doubt to stretch his legs. The fact that half the plane is waiting to get past him is lost on him, until a stewardess points out the error of his ways, and he sits down looking rightly embarrassed.

Then, to top it off, someone else is sat in my seat. It is the same family as coming out (great, lots of sleep for me then), but for some reason the son of the family seems to think he should be sat in my seat for the return leg.

It takes me three attempts to convince them that he needs to bloody move, and finally I get to sit down.

We take off bang on time at 8pm, with a predicted flight time of just seven hours and fifteen minutes. Not just me with a lot of wind tonight then.

I read for most of the homeward journey, only interrupted by eating and getting up and down for Mrs.Tinybladder next door.

The kids manage some sleep, and I think even dozed for an hour or so.

We touch down at 9am local time, and then wait twenty minutes for Manchester Airport to find some steps.

We have to take a coach to the terminal, and this journey takes so long I suspect we actually landed in Birmingham. We then have the largest queue of the entire holiday at passport control, as it was deemed sensible to have two staff on duty for a jumbo jet’s worth of passengers.

By this stage I really am glad to be in the UK. To top it off, there are no trolleys at all in the baggage reclaim hall, and Louise, a little short on patience at this point, blatantly pinches one from someone not paying enough attention.

Luggage collected, we meet my Dad in arrivals, and he drives us back to his house for some welcome tea and a chat about our adventures.

By 11.30, we are back home again, and it is at this point that the non-senile ones of you will remember the placing of the front door key somewhere safe, about fifteen days ago. Alas, no such luck, and we have to hope our neighbour is in, to lend us their key for our house.

Luckily for Louise, they are in, and so then are we. Cases dumped in the hall, kettle and heating on, and again it is all over.

I hope that you have enjoyed this holiday with us. I really have.

The DVC experience was truly lovely, and I will forever be in love with the Boardwalk, and I can see us staying there again in the future. Right Louise?

For Louise, a bad case of “been there, done that” with much of the parks etc, and she really is desperate to try something else next year. Me, I’d go again tomorrow, but we’ll see what happens. She seems determined to win this one!

I often end these things talking about the girls, and as they are the most important thing on the earth, this time shall be no different.

It seems that I have watched the girls grow up at WDW, and we often work out how old they were, or what year something was by the WDW trip of that year. We have photos all around the house, and videos, from all our trips from various years, and seeing them change is lovely. One thing that doesn’t change in those photos is the fact they are smiling.

The girls truly love WDW. They have had little choice lets face it, but they feel at home there, and much of my joy in going there is seeing and knowing how much joy it brings to them.

Once again, our “quality time” on holiday is a gift, and I feel that I get to know them again each time, rather than passing them in the hall on the way to work for the rest of the year.

It won’t be long now before they are fully grown, my God, even with boyfriends and lives of their own. Maybe we won’t go next year, but we’ll go again soon, as soon as we can, as I think each year is precious whilst they are still kids, and I want to make the most of that.

Any tentative discussions about next year’s trip have been a little one sided. It is us three versus Louise so we stand no chance whatsoever.

I’d like to thank Louise for her patience and willingness to allow me to share the sometimes too intimate details of our trip again. Half of the internet knows too much about your cream application and your shiny ring. Sorry!

All I ask in return is one holiday without medical intervention. Until we manage that we have to keep going back dear. Deal?

Thanks for reading, and thanks even more for leaving comments. These are good fun to do, nearly as much fun as actually doing the stuff that gets reported. Hearing that others enjoy them too is lovely.

So until the next one, who knows when, it is goodbye from Louise..

Goodbye from Emily,

and Rebecca.

and as I often do, I shall do a "big finish" with a song... inspired by the title of this year's trip.

We holidayed in Disney, a cracking time believe me,
We borrowed DVC points, from Steve and Di,
We spent some time at Vero, I’m a boogie boarding hero,
Where finally Louise kissed crabs goodbye…

Don’t blame it on the sunshine, Don’t blame it on the moonlight
Don’t blame it on the good times, Blame it on the boogie (board)

A nasty rash discovered, some cream helped her recover,
That Vagisil works wonders, every time,
I took my share of beatings, those waves can hurt believe me,
Louise shoved that board, where the sun don’t shine,

The magic still it moves me, the sunshine oh it soothes me,
Moonlight on the boardwalk, is quite a thing,
Remembering the good times, will be easy I think we’ll find,
By looking at Louise’s shiny ring.

Bye!
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mkingdon View Post

If anyone can tell me what that is, I’ll send them a special prize…..Emily!
My guess is the inside of a coffee cup

... For Louise, a bad case of “been there, done that” with much of the parks etc, and she really is desperate to try something else next year. Me, I’d go again tomorrow, but we’ll see what happens. She seems determined to win this one! ...
Steve's the same and is all parked out but at least we're going back (all be it without doing Disney)

I'm sad that the reports are over and really hope you guys get back again next year - even if you time the trip to avoid us

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post

No, this can't be the end! I have LOVED every minute of your reports and I think I've enjoyed your holiday almost as much as you all did!

I have exactly the same feelings about the kids growing up via WDW holidays! We have obligatory photos in the same spot each time we go so we can all see how much they've grown. I can't bear to think that one day, maybe, they won't want to come with us I'm hoping the years that we've been brainwashing them will pay off and that they will keep coming with us with their respective partners in tow

Thankyou so much to you and your family, for sharing all (and possibly too much ) of your holiday with us. I am waiting in anticipation to hear that Louise has relented and that your countdown is ticking ready for next year!

Thanks again, Claire xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
My guess is the inside of a coffee cup :
It's good, but it's not right...
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Thanks for another epic set of trippies they have been brilliant...need to get back on my diet now everytime i saw a new day posted it was sit down with a coffee and a packet of biscs hope you manage to persuade Louise for next year just promise her there will be no more ring or cream stories good luck

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Suberb, thank you so much. The summary had me moved to tears.
what will i do now

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 07, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It's good, but it's not right...
It's not the left over VAGISIL!

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread