Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Jan 11, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post

The Big Gay 4-Week Honeymoon - Days 1 and 2!

It's a long one - so take it easy! This is a trip report of a honeymooning, sarcastic gay couple - never blue, but always a bit colourful! Enjoy - and I love getting feedback so feel free!

Day 0 - The Wedding!
Days 1 and 2 - For Your Pleasure! Day 3 - Paul's Birthday at the Animal Kingdom!
Day 4 - Segway? Waaaaay! Day 5 - Magic Is Might
Day 6 - Steak and Lake
Day 7 and Day 8 - Everybody Hurts
Day 9 - Hey Ray at DC!
Day 10 - Wunderbar!
Day 11 - Hallo Spaceboy
Day 12 - See, World?
Day 13 - Terror at Hollywood Studios
Day 14 - Oops
Day 15 - BIG MISTAKE LADY! Huuuge mistake!
Day 16 - Wyndham Down!
Day 17 - Check Out My Busch!
Day 18 - Ring Trouble
Day 19 - The Day Jaymes Got Shot!
Day 20 and 21 - Oh Mother, You'll Give Yourself A Nosebleed!
Day 22 - Take My Hard Rock
Day 23 - Hairy Botter and the Crying Child
Day 24 - Needing a Chute at Wet & Wild
Day 25 - Universal Stud-ios
Day 26 - Hulk Out at Islands of Adventure
Day 27 - Two Blue Men, Three Blue Men
Day 28 - It's Over - We're Coming Home
Day 257 - Diamonds Were Forever!

The only two stars of the trip report are:

Jaymes (me) – just married Paul after four years of being together. 26, snappy dresser (well, I fill out a George tee-shirt well), comfortably upholstered, bald head, probably classed as the ‘feminine one’ despite looking like Bryan McFadden on a fat day.

Paul (him) – has somehow found himself married to me, the lucky sod. 25, built like a little barrel, has a somewhat worrying fascination with lumberjack shirts, the masculine one, though not quite.

Together, we take the mickey out of everything, will go on any rides we can, dislike common people despite being as working-class as you can get, fully intent on spending the many thousands we have saved up for our honeymoon – 4 weeks in Orlando – week 1 at the Polynesian, week 2 at the Wyndham, week 3 at the Four Points and week 4 at the Hard Rock Hotel. Everything booked and paid for, we’re off! Report might be slightly cheeky but nothing that’ll blow your socks off. Swearing minimal. Please keep your arms, feet and bingo wings inside the ride. We’re off!

Flight Day

Woke up in the salubrious location that is the Gatwick Hilton, drowning in beige and polyester sheets. Luckily, we had the VROOM booked and had done Twilight Check-In the night before, so it was just a case of completing the 4 Ss and we were off, mincing for all our worth down to the VROOM. Now, it was raining quite heavily and a bit windy – and as I’m not the best flyer, I was nipping each seat I sat on, but having the VROOM helped – I was able to console myself with Eggs Benedict and a good dose of bigotry via the free Daily Mail. After being horrified by asylum seekers eating Princess Diana or some such malarkey, the time came to board the flight.

We had decided to fly Premium Economy both ways this time – partly because we didn’t want to blow too much on Upper Class but also because we can’t get in and out of economy seats with any dignity – it’s like watching an elephant scratching its bum on a tree. So, upstairs we went, and that’s when we got our first surprise – I knew we had been moved to different seats to those which we had booked but I hadn’t realised exactly how good the seats were – right at the front, behind the cockpit, with no-one in front and tonnes of legroom. A perfect start to the honeymoon – not only would we arrive first but I could also step into the cockpit and play hero should the situation arise. A glass of champagne and a lot of hand-squeezing later and we were in the air, climbing away from the unrelenting grimness of Gatwick and towards Florida!

There isn’t too much to say about the flight except to say it was wonderful – almost no turbulence to speak of and good food (I had risotto, Paul had Something and Mash), plus plentiful drinks and attentive service from the onboard staff. I think it may have had something on our booking about it being our honeymoon and that’s why we got bumped into the best seats available – and if that was the case, I’m very grateful, as it really made a difference. We worked our way through a couple of episodes of The Middle and The Amazing Race, watched The Social Network and dozed.

Paul snoozing in that masculine way of his.

My dinner on the plane.

Six or so hours in, the view from the plane. Never had much cloud and everything down below was snow and ice. Beautiful views.

Oh – there was one problem – we had a proper sour-faced old cow sat across the aisle from us. What ticked me off was that she was complaining because she had been moved up into Premium Economy, which seemed a bit remiss. Ah well. I said good morning to her and mentioned how good the seats were only to be met with a granite stare and nothing else. I really can’t bear bad manners like that, so Paul and I spent the rest of the flight silently breaking wind near her every time we went to the toilet. No wonder her face looked like she had seen her bum and didn’t like the colour of it when she got off.

Crack a smile!

Touched down slightly early, straight into immigration where they have done away with the individual lanes and now just have a snaking line of misery. Got through pretty quick but if you’re reading this, make sure you take a bottle of water off the plane or something for the kids as it is boiling in there. Our officer was very kind, asked if we were brothers (we get that quite a lot, and I don’t even have a Norfolk accent) and waved us through. Moments later, we were sharing a taxi with another English couple who, I’m sorry, looked very unpleasant. He was all red shoulders (sunburnt BEFORE you go on holiday – when it has been snowing for about forty months – is impressively common) and tattoos, including one of a completely naked woman over his shoulder with her veejayjay showing. They were swiftly dropped off at Port Orleans or some such place and we were deposited at Disney’s Polynesian Resort. Well – oh my. It is just beautiful. We were checked in immediately, giving those flowery neck-things whose name escapes me, and told we had been upgraded into a better room. Well – I did ask. As astonishingly arrogant as this sounds, I do think I have the gift of the gab when it comes to getting upgraded – the key is in being subtle, polite, using their name and asking nicely. Anyway, we had a lagoon view room, which we crashed into, undressed, and got the honeymoon off to a raunchy, sexy start.

By sleeping.

Until 5.30am the next day, at which point we shot out of bed (what can I say, it had been a while), got dressed, and day two commenced.

Day Two – Magic Kingdom XXL

First, let me post the below picture.

I know what you're thinking - what a hunk. Well, this will teach us for venturing into Wilkinsons to buy sun tan lotion before we go. The stuff was blue and would not rub in, hence me looking like a mime artist for the rest of the day.

After making our faux-pas and hurtling out of bed so early, we spent an hour or so walking around the Polynesian grounds, taking some photos, seeing what was about. I have included a few pictures here but as you can see, my camera isn’t great so I apologise for the dumpy quality. We had a quick breakfast at Captain Cooks, the onsite counter service restaurant, which was actually very god throughout our stay – I recommend their salads! After a couple of poses on the hammocks on the beach to watch the sky turn blue, we were off to the Magic Kingdom, albeit somewhat early.

Poly at dawn.

Now, I confess, the last time we were at Disney, we absolutely hated it. Stayed in an awful resort (All Stars Movies), thought the food was dire, and had a tiny budget. This time round however, the ‘Magic’ got us, and being at the Magic Kingdom when it opened was a great experience. We bought a few souveniers in the shops and got them sent back to the Poly (another excellent service about staying on site), including a really quite lovely jacket for $80 which celebrates the 40 years of Disney. They dropped the ropes and we were straight onto Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, where we screamed all the way round – not because it’s a scary or exciting ride, it isn’t – but just because we could! Cathartic and good times. Straight onto The Haunted Mansion which isn’t at all like I remember it – I wonder if it has changed? I was gutted to find Splash Mountain is shut for cleaning all January, but what can you do? Wandered around taking in (and dropping off) Pooh and Indy 500. That was great fun, if only because I got to take Paul from the rear and enact some revenge for making me drag the broken suitcase all the way down from Newcastle. Oh, there was a slightly unfortunate incident with this cast member who was trying to shout the instructions to this poor bloke in one of the cars. He wasn’t having much success. Now – I could immediately see why – the guy in the car lacked ears. It was a peculiar thing – like someone had just sliced off his ears. Anyway, unusually for Disney, the cast member didn’t seem to grasp it, and just kept on shouting. Poor guy, I’ve never heard such fierce instruction for ‘don’t bump into the car in front’.

Mind you, neither had he.

Moving on, we tackled Tomorrowland next, which I love. Almost walked onto Space Mountain, which I had remembered as quite a lacklustre ride, but I’m not sure if I had a different seat or something because when I came off, I was most bemused – it was super-jolty and quick! Loved it, so straight back onto it. Now, I am pleased to report that we upheld our tradition of ‘Look As Miserable As Possible On Ride Photos’ – give it a try yourselves, simply put on a sulky / miserable face whenever you know there is a camera coming up. I dread to think how many little kids have proudly shown off their ride photos to friends only for them to point out the rather fey looking Mitchell Brothers pouting into the camera behind them. Mahaha.
Next onto the Astro Orbiter. Now, Paul and I made a rookie mistake here by saying we were riding together, and once we had taken the lift up to the loading platform, we were told to get into a rocket together. Not going to happen. Paul and I are built for comfort, not for speed, and there was no way we were fitting into a rocket together. So we came to an amicable compromise – Paul took photos of me looking masculine as I screamed round above Tomorrowland. Score!

I make it look so manly!

Next the TTA for a bit of a kiss and cuddle in the dark, then into Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. If you haven’t done this, get it onto your next trip to the Magic Kingdom, because it is brilliant, and Paul got put up on the big screen with the caption ‘Can Burp the Alphabet’. Little do they know he can order a Chinese Takeaway by farting down the phone, too.

Obligatory MK shot!

Lunch was next, and we picked a good time for our ADR at the Park Plaza because most people were out gawping at the bright colours in the parade. I had a vegetarian sandwich (not because I’m veggie – I’m not – I was just trying to bulk out to prevent the Florida Belly I always suffer from) (nice eh!) and Paul followed suit with a club sandwich. Good lad. Food was delicious, waiter was tipped handsomely and we decided to call it a day and got the resort boat back to the Polynesian, where after a quick nap, we hired a 21’ boat and took it out onto the lagoon.

Paul guiding the boat with aplomb.

Me, as portrayed by Alan Carr, sailing.

The last time I was at Disney, I proposed to Paul on one of these boats out on the lake, and it was a nice, albeit quite slow, trip down memory lane. We meandered slowly past the Grand Floridian, pas the Contemporary and back round, but, somewhat aggrieved by the lack of speed, we made our way back to shore with the promise that we would hire faster boats later in the week. It was a lovely, warm dusk – and I’m afraid to say we didn’t even eat out that evening because we went straight to early bed. Goodnight!

I’ll update more when I can but it may be a couple of days before I have the time to upload and stuff, but I thought you may enjoy the first part! Thanks all, Jaymes. The next part deals with our adventures on two wheels, four wheels, one boat, two boat...

Edited at 12:48 PM. Reason: adding new links
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have laughed so much with your report. Loved how you dealt with the grumpy lady on the plane.

Looking forward to more reports.

Have a brilliant honetmoon.

Melvin, Lesley, Simon and Carole
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Loving your work! Hope the grumpy lady on the plane isn't a Dibber - wouldn't that be funny if someone on here recognises her
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Brilliant ! Love your trip report & cant wait until the next installment. Hope you recover from the suncream soon
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Brilliant report, one of the best that I've read!

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Loving it!

I don't tend to read many of the reports (sorry ) but this captured me almost immediately.

I could picture you both even before seeing the pictures, several comments have had me LOL!

Please keep them coming!
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Great trippy... look forward to the rest.

I'm stuck at to the 4s's... I only know 3?
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jbrockwell5081
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Great start, looking forward to the rest. Reminds me; I really must finish mine before I get lynch mobbed!
jbrockwell5081 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

In a word... LMAO

Can't wait for the next installment

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 11, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Hilarious! I laughed out loud on several occasions, nipping the seats was one, and scrolling down to reveal the suncream photo, the thought of you desperately trying to rub the suncream in for fear of being mistaken for a smurf, proper funny

Can't wait to read more, please don't disappear on us
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List