Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Punctures and broken windscreens

I have had an email from uscarhire offering me enhanced roadside assistance for $2.50 a day extra

"24 hour roadside assistance for breakdowns and accidents is already included in your package as standard *. As has always been the case with all car rental suppliers, certain items are excluded from this cover such as punctures, flat battery, broken windscreens, locking keys in car, key replacement, using the wrong fuel when refilling"

I never knew punctures and broken windscreens weren't covered automatically.

Once a bucket flew out of the back of a pick up truck and smashed our windscreen. We were rescued by highway patrol and Hertz brought us another car on a flatbed.

I certainly wouldn't expect to pay for that or for a flat tyre that wasn't my fault.

Surely this extra assistance should just be for own fault call outs ?
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Good question, it's got me worried now ! Hope someone can give us the definitive answer.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I have had an email from uscarhire offering me enhanced roadside assistance for $2.50 a day extra

"24 hour roadside assistance for breakdowns and accidents is already included in your package as standard *. As has always been the case with all car rental suppliers, certain items are excluded from this cover such as punctures, flat battery, broken windscreens, locking keys in car, key replacement, using the wrong fuel when refilling"

I never knew punctures and broken windscreens weren't covered automatically.

Once a bucket flew out of the back of a pick up truck and smashed our windscreen. We were rescued by highway patrol and Hertz brought us another car on a flatbed.

I certainly wouldn't expect to pay for that or for a flat tyre that wasn't my fault.

Surely this extra assistance should just be for own fault call outs ?
Its common for tyres, windscreens and keys not to be covered - I've also seen damage to the underside of the car not covered.

Personally, I don't take the extra cover and I live with the risk. If you do want to take the cover I think it is cheaper to buy it through a third party company - The Sheriff or one of the other regulars on here will be along soon to advise you on that I'm sure.

On the one occasion I did have a problem with a tyre (slow puncture) I drove back to the airport and Dollar changed the car without charging me a cent.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018

Edited at 02:37 PM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have 'cut' some of the first post:-

''Locking keys in car, key replacement, using the wrong fuel when refilling"

All of these are the renters responsibility albeit they use differing terminology. Also 'undercarriage' damage is also down to us. For example driving over a boulder and ripping out the sump on a grass verge or the beach.

Punctures are a moot point. I have been reimbursed for a puncture repair plus they gave me tons of money back as well ref the inconvenience of fixing it as opposed to calling them out - Dollar.

Windscreen damage is down to us but again some Dibbers report not being charged. Not sure on this.

I never take the add on costs but if I did, for the small premium and the small risk factor I would use a UK Broker - much cheaper.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
geewhiz
slightly serious Dibber

geewhiz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had a puncture with Avis last year and they just gave me another car, no charges.
geewhiz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 16, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Diznee
Proud to wear my Ears

We had a slow puncture with Alamo last trip, we pumped it up 2 or 3 times ourselves, cost a dollar a time. When I returned the car I advised the guy of the puncture, he offered to reimburse me for the cost of pumping it up. I told him it wasn't necessary and they didn't charge me for the small amount of fuel missing.
Diznee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 16, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

$2.50 is about as cheap as I have seen a daily charge.
You can get annual policies which may be cheaper tho.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 16, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

Friends we where with 2 years ago had 2 punctures and both times they came and picked car up and took friend to rental place for another car.
This was hertz have never taken extra insurance.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

My BiL got a puncture last year (Alamo) was collected and replaced the car at no charge.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread