Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 16, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile Rant alert

Sorry to come on here and moan but I'm fuming. I've been in school PTA since eldest dd was in reception so about 9 years. People come and go as expected but we are literally at an all time low with about 5/6 members and the head who does nothing.
Last Friday was Xmas fair and 5 of us set up and ran stalls for over 200 people - chaos. I was running the refreshments and had parents and grandparents moaning about having to queue.
Some of the older kids had enterprise stalls and at the end them and the teachers took off leaving a right mess and their tables to clear away. The head was nowhere in sight. We had to take all tables and stuff back to classrooms as well as our own tables etc. I have had a really bad back at the moment and could barely move the next day.
Now I've learned a long time ago not to expect thanks but I'm disgusted at the teachers and parents moaning and to top it all off one of them has complained that a (donated) kids prize was almost out of date. I just want to walk away but then there will be no Xmas fairs, summer fairs, events etc not to mention the stuff we raise money for. I just can't understand why people wouldn't get involved ( being busy isn't an excuse as we live in an affluent area and loads of mums don't work) and how they could moan at those who give up hours upon hours to help. Rant over xx

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Oh, I understand your pain totally. I'm the secretary for our PTA, and an admin on our PTA fb page. A couple of things have royally kicked off today. I think I'll be suggesting to our head that she sends out a letter to parents reminding them that the PTA are volunteers that do things to benefit all of the children in the school.
Our PTA sent out a letter about 18 months ago, saying that they didn't have more help, then the PTA would fold. There would be no more funding for school swimming transport, no more subsidised school trips etc. That's when I and a few others got involved. But like your school its the same few who do it all. Could a similar letter be sent out to the parents at your school?

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
O dear, well done for sticking at it and putting so much effort in to your PTFA. When mine were at primary there was just a core few of us working parents who organised everything. The ones who didnt work never seemed to contribute. I also ran the rainbows for 5 years and boys brigade for 10. Never got a thank you off a parent but the children were lovely. All the parents were did were moan if the slightest thing went wrong. I would be annoyed at the head as you are obviously helping to buy things for the school. Maybe make an appointment to see the head and explain that you are unhappy.maybe if he/she thinks financial support may stop maybe they will be a bit more supportive.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I think you should think about sending a strongly worded letter to all the parents and tell them... do a recruitment drive and if no big influx of willing helpers then leave them to it... it shouldn't be down to just the few but often people think that if you're doing it they shouldn't need to bother... but just for a moment consider if you're being inclusive enough... are others a bit out off being involved cos the few of you seem a bit cliquey? Not saying you are but just have a minute to consider why others aren't getting involved...
Good luck with whatever you decide to do (or not as the case might be)..

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Always found our PTA a bit of a clique, and the parents full of self importance, hence why I never joined,
Like you say people come and go so I am sure there would still be fairs etc... If you left
I always volunteered in other ways which lots of parents do, trips church, reading, making toast every Tuesday morning
you don't have to be part of the PTA be have a huge roll in the helping if the school
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I think you should think about sending a strongly worded letter to all the parents and tell them... do a recruitment drive and if no big influx of willing helpers then leave them to it... it shouldn't be down to just the few but often people think that if you're doing it they shouldn't need to bother... but just for a moment consider if you're being inclusive enough... are others a bit out off being involved cos the few of you seem a bit cliquey? Not saying you are but just have a minute to consider why others aren't getting involved...
Good luck with whatever you decide to do (or not as the case might be)..
Thanks might do the letter - yes we've questioned if we are being cliquey but we're not all from the same friendship groups or classes and tried to have a drop in and chat coffee morning and meeting at the pub to encourage people. I really feel like packing it in but don't want my youngest to miss out on events and stuff xx

Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I "wouldn't want to get involved" because spending time stood in a school hall selling stuff no one really wants, to raise money for stuff I'd gladly pay for does not float my boat in any way shape or form... sorry... I would quite happily pay £20 NOT to be involved in all the fundraising stuff.

The sad thing is the rudeness of the head teacher. I presume the PTA stands for Parents AND Teachers Association, and you haven't just been fobbed off and conned into being a parents association? (our girls' primary school tried this)

If it is an affluent area maybe send out a letter asking if people would rather do all the PTA stuff or donate a tenner a month. I know which I'd go for...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 16, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Always found our PTA a bit of a clique, and the parents full of self importance, hence why I never joined,
Like you say people come and go so I am sure there would still be fairs etc... If you left
I always volunteered in other ways which lots of parents do, trips church, reading, making toast every Tuesday morning
you don't have to be part of the PTA be have a huge roll in the helping if the school
Totally see that but at least you help in other ways - we don't have the other stuff you mentioned except governors really, we really don't want to be seen as a clique and have put letters out saying we understand people might not want to commit but could just help at the odd thing - no response. I might add a lot of my close friends dont help either and just say 'it's not their thing' x
Old 1 Dec 16, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I "wouldn't want to get involved" because spending time stood in a school hall selling stuff no one really wants, to raise money for stuff I'd gladly pay for does not float my boat in any way shape or form... sorry... I would quite happily pay £20 NOT to be involved in all the fundraising stuff.

The sad thing is the rudeness of the head teacher. I presume the PTA stands for Parents AND Teachers Association, and you haven't just been fobbed off and conned into being a parents association? (our girls' primary school tried this)

If it is an affluent area maybe send out a letter asking if people would rather do all the PTA stuff or donate a tenner a month. I know which I'd go for...
Ha ha good idea, I know it's not Everyone's bag but moaning at those who do help isn't fair is it? xx

Old 1 Dec 16, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I sympathise. I was heavily involved in the PTA at my girls primary and one christmas fair we had parents (who never helped) moaning like anything about queueing to see Santa and that the tombola had run out early (all things were donated). We ended up changing things a bit and expected more involvement by having a class rep for each class.

The school I work at had our christmas fair last Saturday. About half the staff were there helping as well as lots of parents and pupils, it was a lovely atmosphere and fun because everyone mucked in, including clearing up.
Closed Thread